SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Help choosing bathroom colors - vanity and walls

Tmnca
11 years ago

So, I want to give this master bathroom a facelift, but for budget reasons it will be currently limited to replacing the towel bars and paint - and just possibly a light fixture and/or trim for the gigantic mirror.

I'm likely going to paint the yellowy cultured marble countertop, too - it is chipped, scratched and has purple stains on the left of the sink. I was considering laminate but it looks like even laminate will cost more than I want to spend right now, and I'd rather do a cheap fix now and possibly replace the vanities, tops and floor in future. Apparently epoxy paints hold up quite well on cultured marble if it is sanded and primed with the right primer first. I have plenty of high quality primer left over from my kitchen project.

So, I need a paint scheme that will work with this floor and the adjacent master bedroom. I am also open to using the beadboard wallpaper that I used in my kitchen and adding chair rail if anyone thinks it will enhance.

What I really love in a bathroom is a serene, clean look, I love the cararra marble and grey baths in the bathroom forum. The bedroom is painted BM Wedgewood Gray - a greyish blue, with white bedding and drapes, it has a nice spa like feel.

So what I really wanted to do was paint the vanity charcoal gray and the walls a pale gray like Silver Half Dollar, then the countertop either white or gray. But - I am not so sure it will work with the fake-travertine vinyl floor. I am not in love with the floor but I don't want to replace it at this point... if I renovate in the future I'd probably replace the vanity with dual vanities or a double, and then I'd probably need to do the floor anyway.

The tub and surround is fairly new, acrylic slightly off white, and not as pretty as tile but easy to clean and in great shape. The faucets will stay for now. The art can be changed out if it doesn't end up going.

Also there are no windows, the vanity light is the only light source.

So, what colors could you see working in here?

Or, do you think it would really, really make a difference to re-do the floor with a carrara marble look - Allure tiles come in a carrara marble groutable tile for $1.80/sq ft. It's the effort of removing the toilet and doing the floor that puts me off even more than cost.

borrrinnnggg....
{{gwi:1410699}}

{{gwi:1410700}}

{{gwi:1410701}}

{{gwi:1410702}}

{{gwi:1410703}}

Here's the bedroom seen from the doorway of the bathroom - sorry for the poor lighting, it is east facing. And my 19 year old kitty needs his heated bed near us even if it is ugly :)

{{gwi:1612009}}

And here are some bathrooms I love - of course I don't have the windows to give the gorgeous wash of light. I do like traditional, transitional, and contemporary bathrooms.

Contemporary Bathroom by Toronto Interior Designer AM Dolce Vita

Contemporary Bathroom by Atlanta General Contractor Fitzgerald Construction

Traditional Bathroom by Denver Interior Designer Chalet

Traditional Bathroom by Santa Monica Interior Designer Cynthia Marks - Interiors

Love these colors

Traditional Bathroom by Hingham Architect 1 plus 1 design

Don't like the layout but like the colors

Traditional Bathroom by Vancouver Interior Designer Enviable Designs Inc.

Traditional Bathroom by Portland Specialty Contractors George Ramos Woodworking

This kind of thing I also love but it would never work for our modest townhouse

Traditional Bathroom by Saratoga Springs Architect Plum and Crimson Fine Interior Design

Comments (14)