SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

my first attempt at gingerbread men!

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

Well, I made gingerbread cookies for the first time. I actually made the dough last night and refrigerated it until this morning. This was my first time working with molasses and baking with ginger. Also first time to make Royal icing... I could just kiss the person who invented disposable pastry bags (now if only I had the same 3 tips, one for each color, it would have been perfect).

I kind of had fun, but it started to become work. I learned that I do NOT like decorating at all... I'm not skilled, I don't have a steady hand, and it's messy and tedious. The reason I bake is to play with kitchen gadgets and enjoy and share the results... the rest of the process is work to me!

I used chocolate chips and a few red hots for the middle. I tried a few with raisins, but I ate them before decorating because I didn't think they looked good. I found it difficult to color the royal icing (which I used egg white powder for, not real egg whites)... I had to use almost a whole bottle of red food coloring (to about a half cup of icing) and I still got a dark pink instead of a vibrant red!

The one little guy who has a sad face is upset because he was one of the last ones I did and I didn't put much effort into him. I tried to switch from green to white icing, and I didn't clean the green out well enough so there his outline is minty green instead of white or green.

These will go nicely with the peppermint ice cream I just got... Played Christmas music while decorating (well, not on purpose, but it's the only thing on the radio!), so that kind of put me in a holiday mood.

Tracey, thanks for inspiring me to make them. Your beautiful pictures from December 3rd are what actually inspired me to do it! I used dark molasses, and I agree with you, I think light would make a better cookie. I also prefer mine softer rather than harder (watch it Jessy).

Can I ask some of you who have made gingerbread cookies before to have a look at the recipe I used? I'll link to it below. It didn't taste quite like traditional gingerbread cookies that I've had in the past, but I can't figure out what there was too much or not enough of. I'd appreciate any input on that!

Well, I'm off to clean the kitchen.... I'll be back when I'm done in FOUR YEARS.... ugh what a mess!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The recipe I used.

Comments (21)