SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19982892

What's For Dinner 287

User
15 years ago

I don't think I've ever started this thread but I think we agreed to start a new one at 50 posts......I think.

Last night Meredith wanted fish and chips for dinne. Turned out really well again but I told her that this was NOT going to be a regular event on Fridays , my cholesterol count couldn't manage that!

Comments (100)

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dixie, This is the Spelt pasta I like.
    I usually get the regular spelt..but this box was the white spelt...really tasty...
    The regular spelt is more of a "whole" grain stronger flavor..holds up well to spicy sauces.

We had garlic roasted chicken pieces, roasted fingerlings ~per your directions, (the leftovers will go in a Frittata tomorrow) and green peas and broccoli (for the non pea eaters~my husband!

I baked a new cookie yesterday too..Chai Snickerdoodles

Here is a link that might be useful: Vita Spelt

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

The ham thread brought me over here too. Only 2 here also and I just cut up a 12# Smithfield bone in ham. Like others here, cut and freeze for casseroles, soups and sandwiches. Pea, bean, lentil soups and my Parmesan mac and cheese are in the furture, while a big chunk is in the oven now for dinner.

So dinner will be the ham, rotten potatoes(au gratin) and some kind of vegetable.

And last night we had breaded pork chops, bratkatoffle with onion and steamed mixed vegetables. Can you tell I am home for a few days?

Jessy, sure you forgot the beer. And of course it was open and one cannot waste a beer, so I hope you made the ultimate sacrifice and drank it.

Peppi, who is now craving prime rib, crab, lobster, spaghetti, chicken with garlic and soup. And duck. You are all bad for my budget and my waistline.

• Related Discussions

What’s for Dinner #364

Q

Comments (100)
    2many, I actually am pretty good at mudding drywall. I'm slow and meticulous, but it looks good when I'm done! As for that chili dog, well, at least once every summer I go to the local A&W. They still have the carhops that come out to the car and put a tray on your window. I get a chili cheese dog and a frosty mug full of root beer. Then I'm done for a year, but that one chili dog is sure good. As for Zaxby's, we don't have them up here so I'm not familiar, but Elery had their chicken when he went to Tennessee for Aunt Etta's funeral, and he said it was actually pretty good. He had chicken every day he was there, though, and was pretty tired of it by the time he got home. It's one of those foods that you can pretty much figure isn't too unhealthy, a grilled chicken breast, LOL, so he got it every time he had to eat out. Then his sister made chicken and dumplings, and his sister in law fried chicken and there was chicken salad and, well, he came home and wanted chili! Artemis, the best advice I have is to just do it. Don't watch, be sure you get in there and do it yourself. You can watch YouTube and watch someone else and read every instruction in the world, but you really just have to do it. The first one is slow, the second one is better. By the time you're on three or four, it'll take you a couple of minutes and you'll be done. I'm assuming you are plucking by hand, I have that handy-dandy chicken plucker that Elery bought me for my birthday and it is an amazing time saver, but with seven birds, probably not worth the price. Plucking by hand takes me about 10 minutes per bird, and cleaning another 2 minutes. Scalding is a minute or so, so about 4 birds an hour. The plucker will pluck 2 chickens in less than a minute, so that's very helpful. We did 28 birds in 2 hours, packed on ice and "resting" overnight. It took longer than that to break them down and package them. I always let them sit on ice for 24 hours or so, it seems to make the birds less stringy and more tender. And don't forget to save the backs/necks for stock. Feet too, if you can get past the thought and trim the nails! Like you, I'm offended by the life animals have in the commercial food chain, and so I have to raise my own in a humane and sustainable manner. It's not for everyone, but it works for me. Annie
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More

What’s for dinner #411 Late Spring 2024

Q

Comments (0)
    Sunday roast chicken with tarragon stuffing that’s trying to escape the bird. You can tell DH prepared the vegetables because the carrots are in rounds which I never do. He made the gravy as well.
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    15 years ago

Lots of good food here!
    I would love to have a baked ham but we don't get the same type of whole roasting hams here. I do miss them.
    I've heard there is a British frozen food import place in the south of the island which may sell them so maybe I'll get there one day.

Sharon (Chase) I think those eggs in the photo you asked about were put in the deep fryer but with the oil at a lower temperature than for chip frying. They look almost poached but the fat wasn't hot enough to bubble the whites. They definitely weren't flipped over but the tops were covered in a thin layer of white. They would have used either olive or soya oil. But I will ask how they did them next time we go there. :-)
    In a home they could have been basted in a frying pan as Ann mentioned, but in a (Spanish) restaurant they tend to use large vessels or pots of deep fat.

Yesterday morning was busy and I got home from shopping quite late but still had time to put on the toaster oven with a fillet of teriyaki salmon, some potatoes, yams and red pepper on the second shelf, steamed green beans and cauliflower on the stove.
    Always ready in 40 minutes so we're able to eat before 3 pm.

Today we had takeout lunch from the chicken place nearby: spit roasted chicken, wrinkled Canary potatoes with mojo and salad. The same as this picture taken in March. Handy having that place near enough to the gym that I can pick it up after class which ends around 1:15.

I see there's snow on central Vancouver Island and in

as a few other places.
    We had some heavy
    but the sun came out later. Still too chilly to eat outside though.

Stay warm and dry everyone!

SharonCb

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

We were out shopping all morning and then went up to my Mom's to take her out for a late lunch so no dinner tonight. We went to a nice family run Mexican Rest. and it was very good.

The meatballs I made ended up really being on the sweet side rather then hot side. It was a nice balance. I got the idea from tasting some at the Christmas Open House that I went to last weekend. They had used Bronco Bob's Raspberry Chipolte Sauce on their meatballs that they served, and I looked at the bottle and figured that I could make something close. I have tons of Raspberries in my extra freezer from berry picking this year. Something I will play with some more. They would be good as an appetizer.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sharon no one can ever say you son;t get your recommended daily servings of veggies! Thanks for the explanation re the eggs.

Peppi, that's the last straw, I'm getting a ham this week!

Last night was pub night at home. Chicken fingers and loaded potato skins. I baked the fingers and they didn't come out as well as would have liked.

Anyone have a recipe for oven baked chicken fingers?

• User
    15 years ago

SharonCb, If I had a takeout place that served that chicken and especially those potatoes and sauces I'd have them at least once a week. That dinner always looks so good.

It snowed in Nanaimo yesterday, but all we got in the Cowichan Valley was a few flurries for 5 minutes. Other than that it rained all day. I'm working this weekend so I hope we don't get snow today or tomorrow.

Sharon, I know others will disagree with me, but IMLTHO, baked chicken fingers are never as good as fried ones. I rub my chicken fingers with some garlic that I mush on a microplane before dipping them in the flour, egg and breadcrumbs seasoned with parmesan cheese.

I found a recipe on line for an Asian Ginger and Scallion Chicken. It was really bland. I tried to improve it by adding garlic, which wasn't in the original recipe but even that didn't do much for it.

It tasted okay, but really mediocre.

Ann

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I'm living vicariously through all of you with the wonderful dinners this week!

I'll be a dose of reality and make everyone who isn't cooking feel better by admitting that we ordered delivery pizza last night due to my state of "frazzledom."

OT whine: I bought a mirror for my bedroom through a design contractor/shop.... the FINAL touch of our remodel of the master bedroom and bath that has been driving me crazy for the past 5 months. So the mirror was delivered and they were going to help hang it up.....as the guy was tapping in a nail........ WHOOSH ......water spraying out 10 feet into the room!! He hit a pressurized copper pipe going up to the hot water heater! So now I have my new carpet pulled back, a hole in the wall, and the molding off in the bathroom behind the wall, and the furniture all helter-skelter.

The only silver lining is that the design shop will pay for the carpet restretching and the plumber. But I'll do the painting and sheetrock repair because I'm a perfectionist and I've learned lately that nobody takes their time with painting anymore!

Grace

• User
    15 years ago

Since I still had a craving for Chinese, and since the wok was still out, I had some leftover steamed rice and another chicken breast, I made my favourite Chicken fried rice to take to work for my lunch today. This is my version of the fried rice from a more authentic Chinese restaurant in Vancouver. Before cooking, the chicken is marinated in a little Shao Hsing, cornstarch, sesame oil, and just a teaspoon of soy, for about 15 minutes.

• User
    15 years ago

Dinner tonight was a New York strip Steak with a Green Peppercorn sauce. Served with fingerling potatoes roasted in duck fat, steamed green beans and Roasted Parmesan-Creamed Onions. The Onions were a new recipe I tried. Delicious. Definitely a keeper.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Roasted Parmesan-Creamed Onions
    ===============================

Rick Tramonto - Osteria Cookbook

Talk about succulent! The yellow onions are pretty pungent when you slice them, but surrender their kick when they are roasted and become sweet and tender. When they reach this point, the cream sauce is poured over them, they are topped with shaved cheese, and then the whole thing is returned to the oven for a slow melt. I like to cook these in a wood oven to get some smoke on them, which makes them even better-if that's possible. Great with chicken, lamb, beef-you name it! I also like it served as a first course.
    serves 4

4 medium yellow onions
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup dry white wine
    2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved (about 2 tablespoons)

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    2. Slice the onions into 1/4-inch-thick rings and lay them in a shallow baking pan, such as a sheet pan or jelly roll pan. Drizzle with the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes, or until lightly browned.
    3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the cream and wine to a simmer over medium-high heat. As soon as the liquid starts to bubble around the edges, remove from the heat.
    4. Spoon about a tablespoon of the cream mixture over each onion slice. Cover with aluminum foil, return to the oven, and cook for about 25 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450°F.
    5. Remove the foil and top the onions with the shaved cheese. Return the pan to the oven and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the edges caramelize. Serve hot.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Sharon, I am not sure what recipe you used, but I like to bake my boneless chicken breasts to cut some calories. So far the one we like best is when some parmesan cheese is added to the breadcrumb/panko mix. You don't even need alot, just a tablespoon does it for us.

Dinner was out last night at the local golf course club house. Twin filets with a bernaise, pomme frites and some nice mixed veggies. The rotten economy is hitting them hard, as this was the special for $10.99.

I went in search fo the $3 lobsters, but not here. H Mart had the best price at $10/#. I passed for now, but did have them clean a whole red snapper for tonight.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Oh these pictures are just .... just ...... cookbook quality! I get lost sitting here looking at the pictures.

Last night I made my husband some chicken soup because he has a sore throat.

Both he and my son declared it the best soup they'v ever had. HUH? What did I do different? I have no clue.

As I was making it, I was adding a little of this and a little of that and I thought about one of the threads here where the poster asked what we added to our recipes to give it some ooompf or something. That made me smile to think of you all.

Thanks for the incredible recipes and pictures here!!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG Grace what a disater I'd have been beside myself!

Ann you have me craving Chinese!

WOW Peppi that is quite a deal for that meal!

Last night was pizza night. I made Lou's dough and was very happy with the results. Picture's not so great but the pizza was! LOL

Tonight is roast beef and all the trimmings, mashed potato , gravy, Yorkshire Pudding, and green beans.

• User
    15 years ago

OMG,it is only 8:30 here and I want pizza. Is there any meat under that cheese Sharon?

Ann

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yup, pepperoni. Went a bit overboard on the cheese. I used provolone slices plus grated moz......nice and stringy but not overly so.

• craftyrn
    15 years ago

Sharon -- I've forgotten how good your Tortilla recipe is-- thx for reminding me
    Dixie-- love cabbage in soup , yours looks real good
    David-- looks like a grand time !
    Ann- gosh those onions looks luscious! going to have to try that recipe !!
    That pizza's calling !

Wed. POOFed some mushroom barley soup .
    Thursday did a dish from Wegman's recipes : "French Cod"-- filets are dusted with flour, dipped in beaten egg( or eggbeaters in our case) , pan seared then into the oven-- will be using this method again,
    we really liked it-- the lemon butter sauce was just the perfect taste accompanying taste .

Fri did a quick chicken stir fry using a orange/ginger sauce & 5 spice blend

Sat was just an omelette made with 2 : 1 ratio eggbeaters & reg egg ; onion, red sweet pepper, parm cheese-- I spent the whole day in the kitchen was trying to get the last of my cookies & candies done "cause I want to get boxes out Monday to GD Lisa's & DS Scott's families in NC.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Grace what a sorry mess for you to clean up, that was a real shame!

Ann it all looks good and reminds me we haven't had Chinese for ages. I've never seen yellow onions but I might try that recipe with our Spanish onions. I love them baked and those sound delish.

Sharon...homemade pizzas are the best and yours looks so good.

Last night I was out with girlfriends for our annual Christmas Ladies' Night Out dinner.
    It was held at a most wonderful old sprawling farmhouse with many terraces perched high above the sea. All stone interior with dark wooden beams overhead and lit with candles everywhere. It was a warren of little dining rooms, with floors at different levels, waiters all dressed in casual black and food and drink to dream about. A couple of my friends had been there before and so they reserved the table.

To start, the house brought little glasses of a pink champagne followed by small glasses of a warm Swedish glog punch, having crushed fruit and nuts in the bottom of the glasses. Then a variety of homemade breads. We chose to try a "pica pica" sort of mixed tapa starter.....which was for two but we shared it between the four of us. Delish....bits of tiny meatballs, couscous, shrimp, liquid soup and other tasty nibbles. Dishes were served on gold charger plates.

As main dishes two of the ladies chose turkey on a bed of pasta in curry sauce with fruit and a pastry on the side with a caramel bow as garnish. I chose pork tenderloin in a duck pate and apple filling inside puff pastry with a rich sauce.
    The name of the restaurant - La Sabina - was inscribed on the plate in hardened caramel.
    (I'm told it washes off the plate in the dishwasher, LOL.)

Dessert for two of the ladies was each a vanilla ice cream with several meringue puffs covered in chocolate sauce. It was a very large dessert for one person! My friend Lynne chose rice pudding with cherry sauce and I had a rich chocolate mousse. We washed it all down with an Australian wine, chosen by one of the ladies who is a frequent visitor to that continent and is familiar with the wines there.
    We were all too full for coffee but enjoyed a lot of chat and passing around of Christmas cards and small gifts.

As we left the restaurant around 11 pm, the long table nearby had filled up with a group of young Spanish women who were just beginning their dinner.

Outside the terraces were decorated with lights and poinsettias. It was a beautiful place and I'm told is even more so during the day when the view over the sea and mountain is spectacular. I will surely be going back there and taking Wolfram with me!

Here are the 15 photos I took of the meal and the interior in a short slideshow.

SharonCb

Here is a link that might be useful: Dinner at La Sabina

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Busy weekend with shopping and eating out/spending time with friends.

Last night we went to a church play with two couples we are friends with and had a late night dinner out. All of us got either steaks or chicken along with the usual salads, potatoes (variety), different vegetables, appetizers, etc. Sorry no pictures as I just haven't quite told my friends that I like to take some pictures of what we are served! LOL! Home late so we just went right to bed. No breakfast for us as we were meeting more friends early today for brunch/early dinner. It was wonderful and we really enjoyed ourselves. The weather turned out quite nice also. Once again, no pictures.

All the dinners since Friday look terrific.

• User
    15 years ago

Sharon,Yellow onions are often called Spanish Onions. They have yellow skins. I didn't use the Spanish onions though, I used white onions, the kind with the white skin.

Can you post the link again for your dinner. I couldn't get that link to open. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of that restaurant. It looks beautiful and your dinner sounds delicious.

Ann

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Okay thanks about the onions Ann. Well we definitely have plenty of Spanish onions over here lol.

Funny about the link....it seems to open okay for me, it's one on Smug Mug....try again here:

Slideshow Link

SharonCb

• User
    15 years ago

Sharon, I finally got it to open. When did you switch to Smugmug?

Of all the restaurants you have posted over the years, this one is my favourite.

Ann

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Sharon, Your pizza looked positively "artisan"!!

And SharonCb..... I don't know about anybody else, but I'm ready to look into vacationing in the Canary Islands!!! The restaurants there seem to really know not only how to cook but also the presentation is so lovely even when it's "just" eggs!!

Funny you had Glogg.... that's one of my goals to try and do this winter! I had some years ago and loved it.

Tonight was crawfish pie and steamed brocolli with garlic butter and toasted almonds.

Grace

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Ann...I've been using SmugMug for over a year but I didn't cancel my other places as I still have accounts with Picture Trail, Flickr, PBase and one more. Here we sometimes have internet problems with North American internet connections, so one time when PBase (my main site) was down for many days I signed up at SmugMug just so I could continue to upload. Their slideshow is similar to that of Flickr which I think is the best of all in quality.

SharonCb

• User
    15 years ago

I gave up my other photo accounts when I switched to Smugmug four years ago. I really liked Picture Trail , but I had to reduce photo size and even then I still had to keep upgrading to the next level in order to continue uploading. I like Smugmug because storage is basically unlimited without resizing.

Thanks to Sharon, I had a craving for pizza all day yesterday. Woke up to a winter wonderland. I had to open the store yesterday and business was very slow. The

, no one wanted to brave the roads. So I closed the store an hour early and came home and made pizza for dinner.

I made do with what I had on hand. Thin crust pizza topped with mozzarella, Provolone, Italian sausage and Mushrooms.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

That pizza looks just great Ann. I would do them here at home except that Wolf is not a pizza fan, so I have one from time to time for me alone when we go out. Boy you sure do have some snow over there. Both my brother and daughter on the Island were telling me about it last night. But now I see by the highwaycams that there's sun and blue sky so it should burn it off soon.

Grace you would love the Canary Islands....if not for the sun......although it has been raining for days.....then for the endless selection of restaurants. The place we went to the other night was run by a Swedish woman. I've added some menu pages to the end of the slideshow.
    A little hard to read though as I don't use flash but you can get an idea of the unusual dishes.

This morning I went to Pilates and then shopping. As I didn't get in the kitchen to make lunch until after 3 pm, I pulled out one of those frozen packages of fish-in-their-own-sauce from the freezer and .....again....roasted potato and yam in the toaster oven alongside the fish and steamed a pot of cabbage, green beans, cauliflower and carrots on the stove. Finally we had lunch just before supper time after 4:30 lol.

Cosy inside with the heat turned on and rain pouring outdoors. Suzie slept all day on her cushion on the sofa.

SharonCb

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Ann's fried rice and Diane's stir fry are giving me a craving right now. The pizza is too....then there is Terri's broccoli soup post...not sure what I'll have tonight.

Sharon, your dinner party pics are great. Love that little farm house and the food too. Really, lots of good food and dinners here the last couple of days. Great to see some more joining in and sharing. I'll do the same as time allows.

Busy weekend here. Friday night was a Christmas party with way too much food. Tons of finger foods and appetizers...wonderful little beef loin sandwiches and too many desserts. Saturday was shoppping from seven to seven. We took a break and had a late lunch/dinner at a place that has my favortite monte cristo sandwich and the best onion rings.

Yesterday I was going to do a pork loin on the grill but a front moved in and we went from 75 to 30 in less than two hours...and the wind was something else. We ended up with a lot of sleet and ice covered roads for the morning commute. So, I tried a new recipe that Ruthanna posted last week and it turned out very good. I reduced the pan juices and thicken them a little for a nice sauce/gravy. I used sweet and regular potoatoes and added some onion and garlic too.

Made a loaf of that five minute artisan bread too. Love having that dough in the fridge ready to form and bake.

Here is the recipe for the pork.

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on Sat, Dec 6, 08 at 10:54

Here's one I like to make in the winter.
    MAPLE-MUSTARD GLAZED PORK ROAST

2 to 3 pound boneless pork loin roast
    2/3 cup maple syrup
    3 Tbs. Dijon-style mustard
    2 Tbs. cider vinegar
    2 Tbs. soy sauce
    Salt and pepper
    1 pound carrots, pared and quartered lengthwise -*
    4-6 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and halved

* Other favorite vegetables can be substituted: Brussels sprouts, winter squash wedges, sweet potatoes, etc.

Stir together syrup, mustard, vinegar and soy sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread evenly over pork roast and place in a shallow pan, surrounded by carrots and potatoes. Roast in a 350 degree oven until internal temperature of center of roast reaches 155-160 degrees and vegetables are tender, about 45 min. to 1 1/4 hours. Remove from oven and slice roast to serve with vegetables. Serves 6 with leftovers.

David

• User
    15 years ago

David, I love your roasting pan, not only is it a beauty but I like that it is shallow.

Dinner tonight was Chicken Pot Pie. I made four individual pies and Moe took the two extra to neighbours.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Sharon, the foods you turn out with a toaster oven boggle my mind!

David, I haven't had pork in a while and that seems like it would have a good flavor. Your weather sounds like the reverse of mine... snow last week and 70's today.

Ann, I marvel at the fact that you work and still have such meals! What is your secret? I am at home and sometimes have a hard time! Please share how you did the top of your pot pie. I make one with biscuits, but yours looks wonderful and chicken pot pie is one of Joe's favorites.

We brought home take out hamburgers from a mom and pop place nearby. They are as good (better?) than mine so I don't mind getting them and I don't have to fire up the grill. Rounded them out with some fruit.

Grace

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Grace, nothing better than a good burger. There's a pub in town that makes a fabulous one. Not many places do great burgers around here so when you find one you keep on going back.

Ann, as usual a a gorgeous photo and as ell I'm sure it was delicios.

David, that pork looks great and so does that bread. Haven't made some in awhile, best get at it.

Sharon, that restaurant is lovely!

Dixie, sooner or later you'll have to come out of the closet with that camera! LOL

All this ham talk got the best of me. Not a great picture, the one of Clive's plate was much better from an arrangement perspective. To bad though as I had the flash on, it was way to light and he wasn't hanging around for the second take!

Tonight is something using leftover ham!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Oh boy, does everything here look good.

Grace, sorry about that bedroom, I'd have been so frustrated, just when you thought it was done.

Peppi got a great deal on her meal and SharonCB, that restaurant is just beautiful.

No pictures here, I spent the weekend in Ohio visiting Elery's Dad with him and I left the camera there.

I had some wonderful seared scallops on a bed of spinach at Elery's stepmom's restaurant, The Houston. It's in Mason/Lebanon, Ohio, and boy can I recommend it. The food was delicious.

Elery has been cooking while I'm at work, last night we had butternut squash bisque and a seafood salad, last week we had a black bean chili with some of my homemade multi-grain bread, one day we had grilled halibut and another we had maple glazed salmon on the grill. Elery really likes the grill, LOL.

David, I also like that roasting pan, it's a nice shape and size. What brand is it, if I may ask?

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Chase - LOL!!! Nothing camera worthy being cooked at my house right now. I'm doing clean out since we are leaving on Sunday for Illinois.

I did grill London Broil last night. That will also be tonight along with different sides.

BUT, Annie you had me searching about Houston's. We will be staying in Springfield, Ohio on our trip back home to VA. I would love to dine there but it looks like that is about an hour away from where we are staying. I'm always interested in trying out new restaurants when we travel.

Sharon, that restaurant is beautiful.

And the pizza - oh the pizza!!! I would love a slice right now.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Dixie, Houston's has never served me a bad meal. Their prime rib can be cut with a fork, their salmon is always perfectly done, they are one of the few places you can still get frog legs.

If you get a chance sometime, definitely go there.

Annie

• Marigene
    15 years ago

There are a lot of really good looking food here, Chase's fish and chips, pizza; Nancy's corned beef dinner, spaghetti; Ann's smoked salmon on pumpernickel, pea soup; Coco's vegetable chili; Dixie's soup and jerk chicken; Sharon's tortilla de verduras, teriyaki salmon, David's roast pork and vegetables.

We haven't had anything new lately; corned beef, soups, chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese/spinach, parmesan sage pork chops, tilapia with cajun spices, meatballs, pasta with clam sauce and last night it was chicken picatta.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Dinner tonight was leftover Roast along with baked potatoes and green beans.

WOW Marigene! Everything looks great. Chicken Picatta is one of my favorite dishes and I don't make it near enough.

Annie, is this the rest. that is Elery's Step-Moms?

http://www.froglegking.com/

On the internet I see The Houston, Houston Inn, etc. so I'm a little confused but am going by you saying the frog legs. I was talking to DH tonight and we could get off the highway and stop by there and eat and then head up through Xenia to Springfield. We are staying there because I want to see the Christmas Light Show at Clifton Mill which we can go to later on Saturday night.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Just finished up with M&M Cookies and Buckeye Balls. The Buckeyes are ready to go in the frig. to harden.

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Ann, love the single pot pies, need to get some little crocks for those and french onion soup now that I have room for storage. Looks like a puff pastry crust to me.

Grace, I love a good burger and have a favorite place in midtown that has a good one plus a great hamburger steak with onions and fries. Sorry to hear about the bedroom mini flood...what a PIA!

Annie, I miss you here and on the forum in general...you two sure are getting around and eating good too.

Sharon, I used some leftover ham tonight for dinner....ham and cheese omelet

Marigene, wow, some great looking dinners and pics for sure...if that's the norm I'd love to be at your table for dinner.

Dixie, you are bad teasing us with those sweets...I'm a major fan of anything SWEET. Funny about the buckeyes...we have always call them bon bons for years....until I found this place I had no idea about the buckeye theme....ours look like yours...no eyes..LOL.

Last night was serving of a lasagna from the freezer. Tonight was a ham and cheese omelet like I mentioned above...leftover ham from TG.

About that roasting pan...I picked that up on Amazon awhile back....it was on sale. I blame Mike(Kframe) and Cathey(Mustangs) for my Amazon addiction...LOL. After living in that little cabin for so long I finally have room for more stuff and I'm slowing adding to my cooking/kitchen arsenal. Here is a link to the pan, I'm sure they will have it on sale again...I paid 89 bucks for it with free shipping. It has had a workout the last several weeks....cleans up is great in the DW too.

David

Here is a link that might be useful: Roaster

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great looking treats Dixie!

Marigene got me craving some nice homemade soup. So we had homemade Minestrone and Croque Monsieurs made with the leftover ham. The sandwiches were really good, the picture less so.

Here is the soup though. So easy with my home canned stewed tomatoes, just added chicken broth, white kidney beans, some chopped carrot and chopped green beans and presto!

• User
    15 years ago

Marigene, you have been cooking up a storm. Everything looks delicious. I'd be happy with any one of your meals, except for the carrots.

Dixie, your M & M cookies with the green and red look so Christmasy.

Sharon, I can imagine that your soup with your homemade tomatoes must be just bursting with flavour.

We had Greek Salad (minus the cucumber) and Greek Ribs for dinner.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

BBQ Kingpin, I'm happy to see your contribution of yummy dinner pictures here; what took ya?

Well, I can't decide which dinner I'm craving most, as they all look great, but the Fish and Chips are vying like mad for my attention.
    Sharon/chase, I'm saving Joe's recipe for after Christmas, when I have a little more time to play. Thanks for posting it here.

I've been busy baking up a storm for Santa and his reindeer; maybe it's not too late to get my name off his "naughty" list.

Anyway, Thumper and I are working on a gingerbread piece. We've done GB houses before, so this year it'll be something a little different. Well, time's up; must get back in the kitchen.

Hey Diane, it's good to see you back. I've missed your dinner pictures.

Btw --in case I don't have time to drop by for a while-- may this Christmas find you all on Santa's "nice" list. Ho ho ho.

Sol

• annie1992
    15 years ago

I'm sorry David, for my absences, but between running to Ohio for Elery's family, taking care of Mom and Stepmom, both of whom are brand new widows, having a staff shortage at the office that seems to be chronic lately and Christmas in general, I feel like I'm going in a dozen different directions. I'm sure hoping January is calmer!

Dixie, that restaurant does belong to Elery's stepmom. It has some odd hours and it's always packed full in spite of it, which might tell you something about the food. Just tell the waitress that Dude Barnes' son and daughter in law sent you. LOL "Dude" is everyone's nickname for Elery's Dad (who is also named Elery, but very few people know that).

Last night we did have dinner. Chili over baked potatoes with sour cream and shredded cheddar for topping, and a big glass of milk for me, it just seems to go with chili. Today is a potluck at work. So far I've counted four types of fudge, 7 kinds of cookies, a pan of brownies, banana pudding, a chocolate covered kind of chex mix, homemade caramels and toffee. Oh, and a black bean dip with chips and the beef BBQ with homemade rosemary buns that I made, LOL. I might be sick before the end of the day, I had a gingerbread cookie and coffee for breakfast..

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

David, shhhhh...no one will notice that there are no eyes!:)

Chase, good looking soup.

Ann, I love, love, love Greek food. Yours looks super.

Thanks Annie. We are really going to try to go there if weather and time permits. It sounds good.

No cooking at my house tonight - that's cooking for us as I did cook but it is all for my husband's work party tomorrow. So while I continued making stuff, hubby ran up and got us take out Chinese (Fried wonton, Shrimp with vegetables and Beef Chow Mein).

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

Sharon, that soup looks good and I'm sure it is if started with some your canned tomoatoes. I have two jars left from last year as my canning efforts this year were not all that great.
    Ann, I've been a fan of your greek ribs for many years now and I'm glad to see that salad too...I know salad is not on the top of your list.
    Sol, great to hear from you! I know you are making some killer treats for the holidays...maybe Mr. Thumper can borrow me a few romeos to bribe santa with....I've been bad..LOL
    Annie, I know you and Elery have been more than busy...we have our office party this Friday.....should be an interesting selection...hopefully no mw popcorn...seems to be their favorite thing.
    Dixie, our secret....even though I see you are headed to the state that claims the name... LOL! Hope you get the chance to check out Elery's Stepmom's place.

I was roped into babysitting my DN tonight...we decided on take out from a chinese place. Fried rice and cho cho beef sticks with some fried wonton chips for a side. Ironic that Dixie had the same take out tonight too. Works for me and she is currently playing in the tub with her dolls. Three days with no school...she has been bored and a handful to say the least.

David

• User
    15 years ago

What a great Uncle you are David.

Dixie, good looking Chinese food.

Annie, I checked out the menu at the restaurant. I love frog legs and another favourite is Chicken livers. Don't often find them on menus.

I tried something a little different tonight. I made a bastardized version of Swedish Meatballs, using chicken instead of veal. I ground up 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts, seasoned with garlic, onion, parsley processed with a little chicken broth, fresh bread crumbs, nutmeg, allspice and cardamom and two eggs. Salt and lots of fresh ground black pepper. After the meatballs were browned they simmered in a cream sauce. I had intended to add mushrooms and sour cream but the sauce was good without anything else. Served with rutabaga, peas and mashed potatoes. Moe had two helpings.

• bri29
    15 years ago

I wish I had decent lighting in my kitchen to take better pictures.... Anyway, I made kframe's mac and cheese this evening. So good. It's hard to keep my spoon out of the casserole dish!

Bri

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Marigene, everything looks great! Did you use a recipe that you could share for the white/cannelini? bean soup?
    Dixie, you got me on a mission to find green and red M&M's and I can't find any!!
    Sharon, I wish I had home canned tomatoes!! Haven't had enough to can in years..... not sure what I'm doing wrong, I think I need to get on the gardening forum.
    Greek ribs?? Is there a recipe? Ann you were nice enough to send me the Chicken Recipe section... do you have one for beef/pork too?
    And enough with the Chinese take out! I've made a promise to myself to not eat out between now and Christmas and you're making it hard.

Finally time to actually cook AND time to take a picture!

Cornbread Beef Pie and a Spinach Salad with Newmans Raspberry Dressing.... I've really like that dressing on spinach!

Grace

• User
    15 years ago

Grace, Your salad looks lovely. I've always liked the combination of spinach and oranges. And your cornbread beef pie is something I think my son Matthew would love.

There will be a beef and pork chapter, just haven't got back to the job of editing that chapter yet. Maybe in the new year.

Here is the recipe for Greek Ribs.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Greek Ribs
    ==========
    1 or 2 Racks of Baby Back Ribs
    2 to 3 garlic cloves
    dried oregano
    Juice of 1 to 2 lemons
    Lemon zest (Optional)
    salt and pepper
    . Mince garlic and press with back of knife to turn into a paste. (or use
    a microplane)

Rub ribs with garlic, rub on oregano, salt and pepper and lemon zest if
    using. Squeeze juice of whole lemons over ribs a few hours before
    cooking.

Note: These can be marinated earlier in the day or overnight, but do
    not add the lemon juice until a few hours before grilling or the lemon
    will change the texture of the meat.

Heat grill to high (both sides)

Place ribs on one side of grill and turn that side off. Cook, turning
    occasionally until ribs are tender.

On my grill they take about 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size
    of the ribs but could take longer depending on grill being used.

• Solsthumper
    15 years ago

:-D David, I think you and I better get the Value Pack of Double Stuff Romeos as bribe, this Christmas. I'll put in a good word for you, my friend.

Grace, it's too early in the a.m. (and cold) to crave a salad, but I'd love to nibble my way through that spinach salad. And then, I'd jump into Ann's pool of gravy over mashed, to warm up.

Sol

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

I love the Chinese dishes here also as well as Ann's good looking meatballs, ribs and Grace's salad just to mention a few of the delectable items.

We've been out for fish and chips, and I've made fresh pasta with bottled bolognese sauce and today a quick pork sausage dinner with those ever-present toaster oven-roasted thymed potatoes and red pepper, steamed cabbage, onion, leek, celery and carrot.

I'm making room in my vegetable crisper for things I have to buy next week for Christmas dinner, so anything still in there is going in the steampot in the next couple of days.

We haven't got the tree or any decorations up yet but will do so on Saturday and Sunday. I'm still busy shopping and wrapping gifts.
    At least I've put a large potted poinsettia in the front hall so that's a start.

Plenty of snow all over I see....even in Las Vegas wow!
    Yesterday's view from our front door doesn't exactly look like a Christmas scene does it:

{{gwi:2090847}}

Stay warm and dry everyone and take care driving.

SharonCb

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

I promised to post here more often, so here is an update, but first: You guys have me drooling!

SharonCB, that outdoor shot certainly would do me fine for Christmas. I am off work now through the holidays and we are going to have a snow day tomorrow. They are calling of r 12 inches plus possible ice rain. I am going to bake some cookies to give away as holiday gifts and set up the crock pot with sausage and lentil soup/stew.

Dinners this week have been a baked red snapper with steamed veggies and potatoes,a goulash casserole with the leftovers from the week before, and on Tuesday, after a snow and a 3 1/2 hour ride home (15 miles), freezer fried chicken and hush puppies, Wednesday was Kung Po chicken and fried rice, and tonight a lasagna that I assembled in October and poofed.

To those south of me in Illinois, take care withthe ice storm you are getting.

Peppi

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

David, Great minds think a like! Hope you enjoyed your Chinese as much as we did. Sounds like a great time with the niece.

Ann, Chicken Livers are big and I mean BIG in Illinios. I actually only ate my first ones a few years ago in IL. Your meatballs look super. I'm a little "meatballed" out right now as I had to make 200 for an event last week and then again for my husbands party for today. LOL!

Gbs, Great looking beef pie. I bet it was good.

Sharon, your sausages and vegetables look wonderful. That would have been a terrific meal to us.

Peppi, sounds like you have had some great sounding meals here this week. Yes, I am getting concerned about this weather. We are to leave on Sunday for Illinois. Things are not looking good in all the states that we have to go through before reaching Illinois. Take care all with the ice coming.

I had a late hair appointment tonight so I already had some dinner cooked for hubby and waiting for him when he got home and I just ate some chicken salad on lettuce, crackers and cheese along with a couple of cookies that my salon offers to you when getting "dolled up." It was quite good.

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Well, I will finish out this WFD Thread #287.

Remember I am playing cleanout because we are still planning on leaving on Sunday. Tonight was Angel Hair Pasta with Beef. I fixed Ceasar Salad and bread sticks to go along with it.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH