SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
llhilly

Would love your opinion on my MBR furniture. Pics

pudgybaby
12 years ago

I am giving our MBR a makeover and having custom furniture made. The furniture maker starts buiding it in May, so I need to finalize things by then. Below are google sketchup pics I made of what I want the furniture to look like (we are getting 2 nightstands, one tall dresser and one long dresser). The plan is for the dark wood to be walnut and the lighter wood ash. The furniture maker will provide stain samples when he gets started on our project. Please let me know what you think and if you would change anything. I am providing the pulls (they were not included in our quote), and I am really struggling with these. I think I want chunky, contemporary ring pulls in a polished nickel or chrome finish, but I am not having a lot of luck finding reasonably priced ones. The one on my mood board has a 3 inch diameter and this is what I put on the google sketchup images. Are they too big? This particular ring only comes in this diameter. I have a sample of it and the quality is what you would expect in an $11 pull of this size - not great, but it's acceptable. If I put 2 pulls on each drawer, which I think is the look I prefer, I need 36! I think I like the 2 pulls because it accentuates the long look of the furniture, so maybe I should go a completely different direction and use bar pulls? I am worried that this would be a more modern look than I am going for.

As far as finish, maybe I should abandon the polished nickel / chrome and go for ORB? As you can see on my mood board, our bed is iron (very dark brown, but not black finish) and for now I am planning iron curtain rods as well. Our lamps have a chrome base and a bit of chrome at the top of the cone (see pic) - for now, this is the only other shiny silver finish in our room. I am considering polished nickel or chrome curtain rods, but I am worried they will look like shower curtains especially since I really like the simple return curtain rods without finials. The owl pics are not framed yet, but we are leaning strongly to a very dark brown, almost black frame that matches the bed.

My main questions are about the furniture, especially the pulls, but any critiques of my choices are welcome! My sweeby test (sweeby test is a kitchen's forum thing) for this room is elegant, contemporary, simple, orderly and neat. I know many of my choices are trendy, but I think I will be happy with them for many, many years.

TIA!

Mood board (please excuse this crude mood board - my first attempt at one. The background color approximates our wall color):

Google sketchup images of furniture:

Comments (9)