SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysweetkate

Fireplace, my progress in pics and your opinions, please!

mysweetkate
14 years ago

Hi all. I'd posted a few weeks ago asking how to pretty up my fireplace. Here it is:

Since then, we painted the walls (BM Philadelphia Cream) and I purchased two of these sconces:

We tore up the old hearth, and as of today this is where we're at (please excuse the mess!). That square of stone sitting in the pile of rubble to the right is a sample of the bluestone we plan to use for a new hearth. Flush with the floors? Or a raised hearth? We're still undecided:

We hired a carpenter who's going to start work soon on the new surround and mantel, which will be made in paint-grade wood. We'll likely paint it white, though we could stain the mantel if we choose. He showed me how much of the brick the wood would cover up, which was really most of it and just fine by me, since I don't think this brick is that attractive. But my husband happens to really like the brick:

And when our carpenter showed me where the wood would meet the brick, the top part of the new wood surround was going to end and cut through this row of vertical bricks, which I think might look weird visually. But it's not like I can ask him to just hide the whole row of vertical bricks, top to bottom, with wood, because we have this whatchamacalit jutting out that opens and closes the damper. See it there, over the (dusty) faux-brass doors that we plan to replace?

Our carpenter says we might like the look of the brick better with different, light grout, compared to the deep black kind there now. What do you all think? Are we on the right path? Would you keep more of the brick exposed, especially that row of vertical bricks above the firebox?

Below is a link to my original post, where some forum members posted inspiring pictures of their own fireplace makeovers and those from blogs. Our new wood surround will probably look something like the one in the makeover from The Lettered Cottage. Thanks for reading this post, if you've made it this far! Looking forward to your feedback.

Here is a link that might be useful: Earlier post

Comments (19)