SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Would LOVE to Hear Your Opinions on The Best Vacuums

lynninnewmexico
12 years ago

It's getting about time to bite the bullet and buy a new vacuum. We have a Miele White Star canister vac now. They're very good vacuums, don't get me wrong, but although DH thinks we should just go with another Miele, I think our situation at this house needs another brand/type. Why? Here are the conditions and problems I have to deal with regarding vacs:

* 1-story house, so no stairs involved

* floors throughout entire house are all brick, so any vac needs to work very well and have great suction on flat floors like mine.

* no carpeting anywhere, just large and small Oriental rugs throughout over the brick. The new vac needs to have adjustable settings to vacuum these rugs well, too.

Problems to deal with:

* Both DD & I have long hair which, when vacuumed up from the floors, wraps around our present vacuum's brushes, binding them up. It's so bad that when I vac more than one room, I always need to stop, pull the head off, take it apart to cut the hair off the brushes.

* we have 2 dogs: a short-haired dobie and a long-haired Tibetan Spaniel. Both shed, but the Tibbie sheds a LOT! I need a vacuum that's very good getting pet hair.

* I need a vac that has easy-to-use/ access hand tools for vacuuming the upholstery, too.

* We live in the middle of a gazillion acres of pine and juniper trees . . . and we all are (to some degree) allergic to their pollen in the Spring. And, living here in the mountains, we track in a lot of dirt, dust and sand. It also blows through our screens when it gets breezy. So I need to deal constantly with vacuuming up that as well.

BTW, DD is pushing for the Dyson DC-41. Any thoughts on that one?

So what do you think? What would you recommend? What do you have or dream of buying next? Any vacuums that you have or have tried that you definitely wouldn't recommend? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Lynn

Comments (108)