SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

trying out a new purse

talley_sue_nyc
19 years ago

This is a major deal. Years ago, my purse was stolen when I set it on my lap at a restaurant, and it fell off and I didn't notice.

So, I started using small purses w/ long cross-body shoulder straps. I put only my wallet in it--not even my keys, bcs I didn't want someone to have both my keys AND my address--YIKES!. When NYC started using the MetroCard for the subway, I always made sure to have an outside pocket to keep my MetroCard in.

That outside pocket now holds clip-on shades, my two work IDs, and my MetroCard. The wallet goes inside, and loose change in the bottom. SOMETIMES I put my keys in there, if I don't have a pocket in my pants or my jacket.

Everything else goes in a backpack. If I lose my backpack, or it gets ripped off, I don't have to worry about ID, credit cards, money, etc. Just lunch, paperwork, umbrella, handiwipes, reading glasses, and right now, my inhaler.

BUT...now that I am carrying around an asthma inhaler, I've found myself wishing I could carry it in a purse. Sometimes I don't want to *take* my backpack, so I transfer the inhaler to my coat pocket (which won't work in the summer). But then I risk leaving it there.

So this week I went into Payless Shoes, and their bags were 25% off; I bought one that was originally $11. It has a cell-phone pocket on the front, which is the right size for the inhaler.

There's also a front pocket that's not quite so flat, which is a tad better for my new clip-on shades (my other purse, a replacement for the Coach I carried for 8 years that they don't make anymore, is a much tighter fit for everything).

I put my wallet in the zipper pocket, which is longer than I need, but it's easier to get the wallet out, even when it's overstuffed. And I'll throw the loose change in the bottom again. This one is lined, which is sort of a nice change.

There's a flat zipper pocket on the back that is intended to be the wallet--has slots for cards, and a zipped bill compartment. Plus a cover for the checkbook.

I'm going to mostly ignore this compartment. I think. I think. I say "I think" bcs I've just realized that maybe it would be nice to put my address book in there.

But that's all--I really don't want to carry a large purse. I like to just leave it strapped around my almost like a piece of clothing--I don't take it off in restaurants, etc.

This is an experiment. If it works, I'm going to have the bag copied (with modifications!) by a place on Bleeker St. that makes bags.

I think I might end up wanting a cross between the Coach bag I had for so long (really a simple rectangle--4x6, maybe, w/ a pocket on the front--and this one.

How's your purse?

What do you carry in it?

Comments (11)