SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bronwynsmom_gw

Trying out a new workspace clearing idea

15 years ago

This morning, as I reread the thread on office purging, I was struck by how all of us say we can get it there, but we can't keep it there. Me, too.

So I am thinking about taking a fresh look at the process, since I have a nice chunk of time today to spend on the two desk areas in my house.

What do you say?

My inspiration is Julie Morgenstern ("Organizing from the Inside Out"), who says that we make a mess because our systems don't work, and we don't trust them.

So I have taken a legal pad and pen, and I am walking around these areas really looking at everything. I'm making a little list of what I see in each place...the bookcase by the back window, the pedestal table, the writing desk, the filing basket...that kind of thing. Then I'm noting what it is, what kind of thing it is (office supply, book, pile of things to read, pile of who knows what, reference material, electronic thing, etc.), and do I have to schlepp it somewhere to use it...

Then my idea is to look at the list with an analytic eye so that my sorting and pitching will make more sense. The first important question that has occurred to me so far is, okay, why did I put that there, and what did I think that would accomplish. My hope is to discover the "cognitive errors" in my habits as an organic way to begin changing them.

Does this sound like a useful start to you?

Comments (4)