SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
munkos

Incredibly overwhelmed! (Long, sorry!)

munkos
16 years ago

Hi, newbie, visiting from pets forum!

3 years ago I inherited my fathers house that we've lived in since I was 9.

So there was already 9 years worth of stuff here. Then I met my boyfriend, and he moved in. Then we got two roommates for a year. Obviously when you move 3 people with their own belongings into an already completely furnished house, there will be unavoidable amounts of clutter.

But they've been gone for a year, and theres still a lot of clutter.

I went from just having to take care of my room and my mess, to a full 3000 sqft house, all by myself, more or less. Most people my age (21) start out with a small space, like an apartment or a dorm to take care of. I never really got that transitional stage of learning organisational skills

BF helps out a bit, but he works a lot, so it's mostly up to me.

On top of it I take care of a 17 month old all day, so I don't have much time to dedicate to every room. It seems like I'm cleaning and decluttering the same rooms every day, and in the mean time the other rooms just get more and more cluttered.

It's an organised clutter, but it's still clutter and I'm having a hard time tolerating it anymore. But I've got no clue how to start when I don't have much time, especially since I'm unable to leave the little guy alone for more than 2 minutes before he gets into something.

Any tips on how to get started, and quick ways to de-clutter??

It seems everytime I de-clutter an area, a new one gets cluttered up. For instance, last week I bought a huge shoe rack to put in the hall closet. Cleaned out the closet and put all the shoes away. Now the front entrance looks great. But I have nowhere to put my vaccum, or some of the larger items that were in the closet. So they're just adding to the clutter in already cluttered rooms.

I know once everything is in order I'll have a much easier time keeping up with everything. It's just a real lack of motivation, and being incredibly overwhelmed. I just don't know where to start.

Comments (7)