SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malna_gw

I need a "Happy" Room (Sorry, Long Rambling Post)

malna
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The back story - our house was built in 1929 and was intended to be a summer cottage on a lake. We bought it 25+ years ago. We spent those years building our home business and working on the garden/outside in our spare time so we never did much with the interior. The interior remodeling was DH's retirement project.

DH retired in September. He passed away in January. So...the ball is in my court.

I need one "happy" room that's freshly painted and nicely decorated. I'm thinking it should be our bedroom first. That's easier right now than the bathroom and kitchen, and I can do almost all of it myself.

Here's my first attempt at an inspiration board:

The background is about 1/3 BM Windham Cream on the left and BM Hawthorne Yellow on the right. I have the two lithos on the top (Pin Oak and Ginkgo). The Pin Oak colors are truer to real life than the Ginkgo one is. They are framed with dark green linen matting and a quarter sawn oak frame (darker than our furniture, but I don't mind mixing stain colors). They are also very large - 28" high and 32" wide. I grabbed the "Goes Well With" strips from the BM site for Hawthorne Yellow. I have a lot of green "stuff" so I threw that in there. I have some pieces of Roseville's Zephyr Lily (the vase under the Gingko print) that were my grandmother's. The lamp to the right of that is one I got from L.L. Bean when they were big into bungalow stuff years back. I only have one. Behind the lamp is the wall color currently in the bedroom. IRL, it looks a lot worse than that. It's a sickly turquoise that I can't wait to get rid of and has darker turquoise painted trim. Yuck :-)

I like the way the blue strip goes with Hawthorne Yellow. The blue duvet cover is another set I got from L.L. Bean - it's a knockoff of the William Morris Marigold print. I have the same cover in green. I also have a lot of artwork and framed stuff with blue matting and some touches of red. I thought it would be nice to be able to switch out some artwork and bedding and have a totally different feel.

Below that is our furniture (part of the headboard and a glimpse of the nightstand). DH and I designed and built it when we still had a cabinet shop. It's oak with some maple trim and that's staying. The pottery lamps with the mica shades (I have two - one on each nightstand) were made about 40+ years ago by a friend of his in California. I don't like the grey and brown with the yellow, but I love the lamps so they can go upstairs in the guest room. I like the bungalow lamp better. I wish I would have bought another one.

The bottom picture is one I found on Houzz for inspiration. I want to strip my woodwork (it's 80+ year old fir and is in pretty good shape underneath all the layers of paint. At least the piece I test stripped is). Again, I don't mind the mix of wood stain colors. I adore stained wood trim. I'm not a fan of painted trim (nothing personal to anyone that paints it - that's just me).

There is hardwood flooring underneath the ratty beige carpet. I pulled back one corner of the carpet, and it looks to be in decent shape, but I won't know for sure until I rip all the carpet up. Since this was a summer cottage, the flooring is laid directly on the floor joists. Yeah, I know.

I originally said "Nah" to yellow. And I do realize that I will have to paint some sample patches to see how it will really look. The one double window faces west, so it's not a terribly bright room. No neighbors on that side so no curtains or shades. It's very pretty when the moonlight shines in at night :-)

So if you've managed to stay interested in my incredibly rambling post, do you have any other suggestions for paint color on the walls/decorating ideas? I nixed green paint, as I thought that was too limiting. Same with blue. I thought of beige/grey/griege, but I couldn't find a "happy" color. Also have to apologize for the lousy pictures - they are old random shots. My point and shoot camera finally broke, I don't have a cell phone, and I haven't gotten around to reading the manual for DH's honkin' big Nikon digital camera.

And naturally, I have a VERY small budget, hence wanting to use and coordinate what I have. At the moment, the budget consists of rolling up spare change from the jars around the house. Surprisingly, you can collect a pretty good amount in 25 years :-)

Comments (29)