SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ldstarr

Tuesday's the beginning...I'm so happy! (long post)

ldstarr
6 years ago

Well, all my test results have come back and I'm able to proceed with an Autologous Stem Cell transplant. Even my insurance has responded with a pre-approval! Last Friday I had the Tri-fusion catheter placed and picked up the prescriptions for Neopogen and Oxycodon. I started the Neopogen injections Friday and will continue them daily thru Monday. This is supposed to help my bone marrow release lots and lots of stem cells into my bloodstream. I was hoping not to use the Oxycodon, but have relented, as the Neupogen causes bone pain and headaches for me that were becoming unbearable. You can't take any type of pain killer other that opiates during this step of the process. Tuesday morning they'll check my blood counts and if everything is okay, they'll hook me up and begin the stem cell collection. They'll use a machine similar to what is used for dialysis. It takes blood out of a lumen of my catheter, pumps it thru the machine and separates the stem cells, a returns the rest of the blood back to me thru another lumen in my catheter. The process takes 4-6 hours, so it doesn't sound too bad. At the end of the day, they'll "count" how many stem cells were collected. If there is enough for a successful SCT, I'll be finished or, if not enough, have to collect again on Wednesday.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm so excited that I'm able have this procedure.

As always, thank you, everyone, for the thoughts and prayers. Your participation in my journey means so much to me and is absolutely helping generate these fantastic outcomes each step of the way.

Thank you,

Lisa

Comments (46)