SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pranjal_gw

Ginger Boca ... (sorry, long post)

pranjal
15 years ago

I'm trying to establish a healthy colony of stray cats near my house. DH and I started with feeding them regularly, making friends with them, and as we gained their trust we took them to the vet to get spayed/neutered.

We first saw GingerBoca a few months ago, almost dead by the side of a garbage skip. He had had a lion shave so it's obvious he had an owner. We checked in the villas around our house to find the owner, no luck. No microchip/tag either. Put up flyers at the groceries and restaurants around the area, contacted the vets in town.

I volunteer with a feline rescue group and checked with the homing co-ordinator and she said GB could be put up for adoption towards the end of January (we are full right now). So the plan was to get GB fixed, start shots, deworm etc and I took him to the vet for that, intending to keep him in an outside enclosure later for a few days while he recovered and if he decided to stay near our house, we'd keep him as an outside cat under supervision until he could be homed.

Unfortunately the FIV test came positive. Which meant he would not be homed. Also it would be a risk to keep him outdoors, he could infect the other cats (though he wasn't an aggressive cat, the others still liked to pick on him, even tiny kittens would swat at his face). We put him to sleep yesterday.

I just can't bear the thought of going out to feed the cats anymore, DH is going alone now. I don't think I'll be able to look at the place where we would sit, cuddling with him,giving belly rubs and talking to him. He was the sweetest cat I've known. Huge yet docile.

I've authorised many injured stray cats/kittens to be put to sleep; a day before GB's ordeal a kitten showed up at our doorstep with a mangled hindleg and we immediately had it euthanised; these situations have been different.

GB on the outside looked healthy and happy. I know the risks associated with keeping him in the colony; he seemed healthy but we don't really know what was happening on the inside / would happen later.

I can't stop thinking about things like - if only I'd not brought the carrier back home when I dropped him at the vet's (it's like he never was going to come back)... if I'd kept things ready for him like setting up the crate etc all this wouldn't have happened. I know that wouldn't have changed the outcome of his test, but ... :(

Thanks for reading this. It's easier for me when I'm with pet lovers, I think most of my real life friends don't understand the hurt and pain unless it's to do with humans.

Rest in peace, GingerBoca ... you'll always be in our hearts.

~Pranjal

Comments (7)