SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susiequsie60_gw

Delivery rant - VERY long (Sorry, I had to vent somewhere)

SusieQusie60
12 years ago

OK - this is going to be long because it's a rambling rant about my cabinet delivery and the problems that we have. Now that I've had a huge fight with my husband, cried like a little baby and refused to speak to the builder when he came over, I feel the need to vent. So here goes:

First, we spend over $18,000 on these cabinets. I don't know if that's a lot or a little in the GW world, but it's a lot for me. Just yesterday my husband worked from 7 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. to make overtime to help pay for this kitchen!! We've lived in this house with our old kitchen for 15 years and we didn't come to this decision about the renovation easily. The reason we went with this guy is because we were to be getting high quality semi-custom cabinets. He's the man our builder recommended. So anyway, after many delays (partly because of structural issues in our house and partly because our builder has unfortunately over-extended himself and just doesn't have the manpower to be working on multiple jobs at once) our cabinets were delivered yesterday (probably 4 weeks later than they could or should have been here.)

First problem: The 36" sink base shown on all drawings I have has in actuality become a 31" sink base because the cabinet guy "forgot" on the original order that we wanted a bump-out on the sink. When he changed his order, he changed it to a 31" and never said anything to us. Great - except for the fact that I've already purchased a Blanco supersingle silgranite sink that NEEDS a 36" sink base. I mentioned that fact many many many times to both the cabinet guy and our builder. The builder offered to pay for our Blanco and we could get another smaller one, but I really don't want that. I LOVE that sink. I want that sink. He now says he can "notch" the 31" cabinet or something and make it fit. Why does the idea of him "notching" my brand new expensive cabinet not sit well with me. Personally, I think we should get a new 36" sink base with no bump out at NO additional cost. Of course, the time involved with that makes me very unhappy.

Second problem: My narrow hutch was supposed to have solid doors; instead it has doors that need glass. A few things about that drive me crazy. First, I told the builder to put an electrical outlet in the wall behind the hutch so that I could put a charging station for our phones and things in there. Why oh why would I want to put a charging station on display behind glass doors? When I came home from work and saw the hutch for the first time, he had already drilled a hole in the back and pulled the electrical line through!! Second, we had a lengthy discussion with the cabinet maker during the ordering process about the finish inside cabinets when they are readied for glass doors - it costs more. Well, the inside of this hutch is beautifully finished, which I don't need and I don't appreciate having paid for because I didn't want it!! No where does it indicate glass doors for the hutch on any drawing.

Third problem: I asked for a row of wine holders (a single "layer" wine rack) at the bottom of each of two cabinets in our breakfast room. What I got were four square "boxes" on each side that are about 6" x 6". I don't know what size bottles of wine this guy drinks, but I can fit 3 bottles in each square, with room left over. It looks NOTHING like a wine rack, which is what we discussed.

Fourth problem: Our peninsula was supposed to be two 32" cabinets together. We were planning on getting granite that was that long - 64/65". He was putting decorative "legs" on the thing to make it look pretty - I wanted that. In all of the drawings, he showed 2 32" cabinets with the legs sort of in front. Well, the cabinets are actually 32" cabinets with each cabinet having one leg (about 4.5") on the end. So, our peninsula is now 73" long instead of the 64" we were planning on. Honestly, this is one problem I can live with because we do have the extra space (thankfully and just barely). But it is going to change the cost of our granite and it could have caused a serious problem. I'm just so furious that he thought it was OK to just change things from the drawing.

Fifth problem: I'm really not very happy with the glaze. Yes, I know many people warned against glazing, but many people also really like it. I really thought that by going with someone who was supposed to provide high-quality products, I would get a good job. I feel as though it's just not consistent. Some places look too heavy (yes, it looks like grime) and some places look like there is no glaze at all!!! I'm guessing I'm just stuck with this too.

Sixth problem: He didn't deliver my open shelving because he wants me to go back to 2 shelves instead of 3. I have a lot of issues with this, and really, I'm quite mad at myself. Bottom line is, I want 3 shelves and he wants me to have 2. The real problem, however, is I don't even know what he's planning on doing with these shelves!! When we placed our order, I was so concerned about looking demanding or appearing difficult, that I think I just started being too agreeable. He said he would "build something I would like" and I said "fine." Very stupid on my part, I know. So now, how am I supposed to really figure out if I should get 2 or 3 shelves if I know nothing about them. Are they 2" shelves or 4" shelves? What do the brackets look like? Are there brackets? (And by the way, I have one little corner unit upper on another wall that has open shelves. Guess how many? That's right - 3 shelves. Can you see why I think 3 shelves should work on my other wall?)

Seventh problem: This one may be my builder - not the cabinet guy. My "bar" has about 4" at the end of each cabinet between the cabinet and the wall. 8" seems like a lot of wasted space. These are semi-custom cabinets, so I was told they could be any size. Why weren't they made slightly larger so there was less space between the cabinets and the wall? They were supposed to be from wall-to-wall! I think that was just bad measuring.

There is also a drawer that doesn't close, one that is really hard to open, and a few cabinet doors are quite crooked. I'm hoping that this type of thing is "normal" and will get worked out in the installation. This is what I was ready for. Not the other things which I personally consider pretty serious.

So, this afternoon I spent all sorts of time in my kitchen looking at everything and getting even more upset as I found things wrong. Unfortunately, this has put my husband in a bit of a bad mood as well. When I broke down crying in my frustration, he ended up not being very sympathetic and we ended up in a huge fight. My very immature (but actually quite satisfying) way to deal with the fight was to tell him that HE would deal with the builder and the cabinet guy. I was done. We were supposed to pay the remaining 50% on the cabinets when they were delivered, but obviously that didn't happen. I know the builder would like an additional payment for himself as well. I told my husband it's all on him now. As I said said earlier, I'm done. The builder actually came over this evening, and I think my husband was a little surprised that I disappeared and let him talk to the guy on his own. Yea, I know that this probably isn't the best way to handle it, but for right now, I think it's what I have to do. I really don't feel like crying or yelling, and until the dust settles on my disappointment, I'm not sure if I'm capable of anything else.

That's my saga for now. And yes, I know that nothing that's gone wrong is life threatening; my children are healthy; I'm not visiting a loved one in jail or in the hospital or at the funeral home. I'm just feeling bummed that a project I've put so much time and effort into is getting screwed up. I'm frustrated. I do think I feel a little better getting it all out. If anyone actually gets to this part of the post, thanks for listening.

SQ

Comments (39)