SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkspigs

man i have had a rough week - long

pkspigs
18 years ago

We raise show pigs and breeding stock. The summer is our prime farrowing for show pigs. I have been doing this for over 20 years, but every now and then a new problem stumps me. well not that I have never heard of it, but that I have never experienced it. Seems like all the gilts that are farrowing are having the devil of a time getting the pigs out. Now and then we have to pull pigs, but not like this year. On our first 5 litters, one farrowed 8 days early, I don't have a clue why, and lost all of them. Next one lost 2, because I did not want to go in her, I thought she was popping them out pretty timely, not so.Next litter, could NOT get the first pig out, coming head first, hubby and I worked for over an hour, before we got it, and had to pull absolutely every last one of them.She was dialated enough, just had used up all her energy trying to get that first one out, then next one went into labor, no pig, went in her, no pig, later after some hormones, could NOT feel a pig, next day after 36 hours, put her back in barn, gave her some oxy and penn and let her alone. next day saw a foot, pulled two dead pigs, nothing else behind them. next day, pulled another pig. more antibiotics. She had never eaten or drank water. Next day she could not get up, today she died. bought her for $500 in Nov, had $200 semen in her, such a waste. Next couple were pure hamp gilts, had to pull first one on one of the gilts, almost could not get it, had to use OB snare, broke pig's jaw, but rest of them came out o.k. Now today, see one of the york gilts that farrowed 9 not getting up to eat or drink, and pushing, and went in her, she has a stuck pig. She had cleand out fine after farrowing and I thought she was through, geez, Now I have to call my vet in the AM to come with his little invention and get this dead pig out, cause hubby pulled the head off trying to get it out, and I am not sure there is not others behind it. She is nursing 9 pigs and cannot afford to loose her too. Anyone ever have these kind of farm days? sometimes I wonder why we still do this.... sorry so long, just had to VENT. Pat in La.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services