SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_17

Whom do I blame: GC/KD/myself? (long -- sorry!)

rachel_17
17 years ago

In late 2005, at the beginning of our renovation, I ordered, as part of a major order (tiles, vanities, countertops, faucets, toilets, sinks, etc.) an extremely expensive medicine cabinet from a local retailer/designer.

(Had I been shopping for only a medicine cabinet, I never would have ordered anything so expensive -- I think I just didn't notice because the order was so large, and I was somewhat overwhelmed by the process. My fault entirely.)

Even though the bathroom for which this cabinet was intended was not going to be built in the near future, the designer/retailer urged me to place my order because she anticipated price increases after the new year (2006). I placed the order in December 2005, and the retailer/designer agreed stored the items in her warehouse until I needed them.

Almost a year later, in November 2006, a representative from the warehouse called to see whether I still wanted the items (I had left a deposit, but had not yet paid in full). She told me that if I still wanted the items, she would continue to store them, but that I needed to pay in full.

At that same time, we had finally begun to build the bathroom. The bathroom seemed smaller than I had envisioned when I ordered the medicine cabinet, and I worried that the cabinet wouldn't fit. I discussed this with my GC, and after measuring the space, he told me that it would fit. After that conversation with my GC, I called the warehouse with my credit card number and arranged for delivery.

After the delivery, my GC told me that, as it turned out, the medicine cabinet wouldn't fit after all. I called the retailer/designer, who said that because the order was placed so long ago, the company wouldn't take it back.

So, now I am stuck with an outrageously expensive medicine cabinet that doesn't fit in my bathroom. I'm confident that if I had told the warehouse representative that I no longer wanted it, before having paid and had it delivered, I would not now be stuck with it. If I bring this matter up with my GC, he will be upset, and even if he agrees to compensate me, I'm sure he'll just make up the expense elsewhere.

What do I do now? As it turns out, I could get the same cabinet for substantially less money if I ordered it today from Home Annex or another on line retailer. It's pretty heavy, so I don't think e-bay is an option. I think given the expense, the odds of selling it are low.

Comments (12)