SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

I want to fire my GC!

Valerie Noronha
17 years ago

We started our remodel about a month ago and it has been nothing but problems. I don't want to bore everyone here with a laundry list; but suffice to say there were several measuring errors in the foundation (which we discovered), there are several chips in the foundation where they but the bolts in, the GC is rarely on the job, does not write down or pass along our requests (we are now putting everything in writing, but he says he does not have time to read his email), seems to only want to implement what is on the plan and hand out the plan to his subs (but not double check for any inconsistencies). When we informed him we wanted a different sized shower on a Friday afternoon, his response was "I have 6 plumbers coming at 7:30AM and I need to tell them an exact drain location and I will not take any responsibility if there are any errors resulting from this change. I have to go now and take my wife dancing." The main issue is not just that problems/mistakes have been made--though we think less would be made if there were more supervision/communication--but that he has become hostile about it and is more interested in shifting the blame to others. Several times he has blamed our architect for things that are clearly their mistakes and my architect has said, they have but to call him with any questions about any measurements.

The problem is the roof is 3/4 done, the foundation about 80-90% done (but outstanding problems), the rough plumbing has started, the framing guys are here. It seems a nightmare figuring out to fire him without severe financial repucessions. We even have a replacement lined up (a friend in the business whom we trust--ironically we did not ask him to bid on the job due to friendship, now this is the very reason we want him as we know we can trust him). He recommends getting the place all buttoned up and he will take over the finish. Obviously we do not want our GC to get wind of our plan and we are not sure how easy we can get out of contract.

What things can we do to protect ourselves financially and make sure they do what they are supposed to do, at the same time, not have them go forward with any new subs? Where is a good cutoff point?

Our remodel includes:

foundation, framing, rough plumbing, rough electrical (and HVAC), new stucco/lath, subflooring, sheetrock, texture, (then all the finish stuff tile, cabinets, etc.)

Basically I am documenting everything, we are keeping a problem log and taking pictures of everything. We have made some payments, but have no lien releases because basically nothing is 100% done. We paid for 80% of roof, but we know he has paid less than 1/2 of that to roofer. NOw he wants to collect for foundation--but we don't want to pay until it is 100% done and we can get a lien release. Not sure how that will work with the plumbers as we don't see their actual bills.

The other big issue is that they are not locking it up--twice I've found it unlocked in the evening and yesterday they did not even board it up--and we have stuff stored there. They've also lost a key, though he says one of his subs has it.

Also, they've ruined our front and rear lawns. Our rear had new sod only last year and my DH had specifically told them to go around it--but they take all their tools, equipment, lumber there though there is other spaces they could've used. Can we charge them for a new lawn or is it pretty much a given that landscaping is ruined in a remodel?

Given his personality, I don't think it will go down well so we are trying to not let him get wind of what we are thinking (particularly with the rains approaching and things all open and so many subs in partial stage of the job). I am just so overwhelmed, I told my DH I think we should ust get a lawyer, but my DH thinks we should have lots of leverage against him so that he agrees to terminate the contract in a fair way--pay for work completed and complete whatever outstanding work, but no law suits, pay for lost wages, etc. when their work is "sub standard". Also, how can we prove we think their work is substandard?

SOme things I know:

1- they switched 5-ply plywood for 3-ply in roof though we paid extra for it.

2-large chips in foundation

3-wood splitting when nails are set in

4-not securing the house

5-measuring errors (though these are being fixed by cantalevering the lost inches in our bathroom)

6-ruining the lawn

7-comments about changing the shower -if he does not take any time to advise us on these things and just sends out subs, what value is he adding over us just hiring subs ourselves?

8-not informing us of subs schedule and discussing the work planned in advance

Comments (9)