SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jammonit_gw

diy? use a kd? be our own gc? help!

jammonit
15 years ago

We are still in the planning stages of our kitchen and have found a great KD that came up with a wonderful solution to our difficult layout issues. I really like his ideas and creativity- I hate that he didn't listen to our budget at all! We have a tight budget, but reasonable for the size of our kitchen and considering that it does not need to include any appliances (we are keeping our old ones) or countertops (MIL is paying for these as a gift). I got our price quote today- and he was at $47,000. The budget I told him was $30,000!!! So, because I liked his ideas so much I decided to give him one more chance to come up with a plan... but this site has got me thinking about trying some other more budget friendly options. I read about the MKF USA website, as well as scherr's. We definitely don't mind doing some work ourselves, and know a good handyman that could help with hanging or assembling cabinets. So, I guess my big worry about DIY or being our own GC is that the project will end up going over budget and drag on forever (we have two small children at home, so I don't want to be without a kitchen for months on end). So, experienced remodelers, help me figure this out! I feel like I could really screw up the kitchen if left to order all the cabinets myself, but then again, I have been planning this kitchen in my head for the past 5 years, so maybe I am just being paranoid. What option did you choose (KD, DIY, some combo thereof?), and why? I would love to hear some DIY experiences, too. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (21)