SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cobragirl96_gw

Question about cabinet deposit, right thing to do? (sorry long)

cobragirl96
12 years ago

Okay, we are finally down to the point where we are going to be ordering cabinets soon!! (long story short, long New England Winter followed by crazy amounts of rain have delayed our foundation being poured. Currently we are living in a mud pit, but foundation being poured now!!) So we started going the HD/Lowe's route, but really couldn't get a design we liked with them. Went to a couple of kitchen designers for quick quotes, but all really didn't have a layout I liked. Finally went to a kitchen place that our GC recommended, said he hadn't worked with them a lot, but had a kitchen going in now being done by them. Very nice people, told us they would be a little pricier than HD, but that was because they would put a lot more work into the kitchen, almost like a architect for just the kitchen, so I understood paying a little extra. Finally called us in for floor plan, which I liked although there were a couple of elements I still wasn't thrilled with. We had told them our budget, and she came in at the top of our budget (actually 1K over) for the cheapest cabinet that Kraftmaid makes in a partial overlay style, recessed panel, even though I clearly stated I wanted wood raised panel, full overlay. She said that would just blow our budget out of the water. She also said that at our next meeting, she wanted 30% of the cabinets up front ($7500) and then she would release the plans. We were not even at the point of ordering cabinets, she wanted this money just for her plans, and again I am not unreasonable, I could see her asking us for $500 or $1000 up front as a "deposit"!

I was so dissappointed that I went back to HD to price, and it turns out that starting in a week they have bonus cash so I put together a similar kitchen to hers (in the same Kraftmaid door style) and it was half the price! When we told her this, she told us that she said up front that she was going to be more expensive, but that we would get better customer service (I'm talking 13K more than HD), and that he probably didn't have a lot of the upgrades in the plan, although I made sure he put a ton of upgrades in to try to get to her price including rollouts, plywood ends, furniture ends on the islands, etc, just as she told us she had done. She was incredibly upset with us for going to HD, but suddenly felt that maybe she could go back and work on our price to get us down. I am quite perturbed about this because that means she didn't give us her best price to begin with. As a matter of fact, she probably didn't even give us close to her best price!

Am I still obligated to go with her because she is the one who "planned" the kitchen, or what is my obligation at her to this point? Also is 30% up front for the plans customary? Thanks for the help, at this point my husband and I are kind of at a loss for what to do, although we are leaning towards saving a large amount of money (enough to pay for install and granite!). And again, I understand that she may be a little more money because of the volume that HD does, and I'm not trying to put the independent shops out of business, but what she made sound like a little more was actually thousands more for the same cabinet!! TIA!!

Comments (13)