SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sussy_gw

?'s about ducklings(long-sorry)

sussy
17 years ago

Hi all, been lurking here for long time, ashamed to say how long. Love your forum, tons and tons of reliable information! Right now we have 2 dogs,3ducks,2parrots,2cats and 3horses. Your forum makes me crave more animals than my hubby can take...goats....a cow...oh and chickens....definately want chickens....so far hubby says he is drawing the line at monkies, but who knows, maybe some day! =D

Im sure most of my questions have been answered on here before, I just can't seem to find the posts. We have 1 adult pekin and 2 Indian Runner/Pekin mixes who are hatching out ducklings as I type. Last check there were 7. Here goes my list of questions:

How long til everyone that is going to hatch, hatches out?(1 of the eggs in nest looks dark, like it went bad)There are 12or13 more eggs between the 2nests.

Can we leave the babies in there for mommas to raise or should we remove them and set up our own brooder?

If we leave them, how close to nest do we put the chick feeder&waterer? Do they still need a heat lamp if they are tucked in cozy coop with momma?

Is it safe to put Bill(daddy)in with them at night? Mommas nag at him and he goes to his own corner of the pen, least that is what has been happening since they started sitting. He can't even look in their direction or they go to yellin' at him, he looks embarrassed and settles in his own spot.

Do we leave the egg shells from the ones that have hatched or try to clean them up?

Thought I had read runners and pekins won't sit, but these two seem to have a knack for it. Their nests are side by side and the babies are switching back and forth, is that a normal all in the family thing?

Everyone is locked in tightly at night, during the day the hatch is open and there is access to a small pond. Will the mommas know when it's ok for them to come out or do we need to police what is going on?

A point in the right direction of which posts to search or any info you have would be much appreciated!

Thanx for your time,

Sussy

Bill:

{{gwi:35063}}

Pretzel&babies:

{{gwi:35064}}

Squirt&babies:

{{gwi:35065}}

Comments (6)