SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

classic newbie mistake! (sorry, a bit long)

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

ok, ok... yes, i did it! now what can i do about it (if anything)?

so i have 3ft by 3ft raised bed that's about 16 inches deep. and what did i go and do? plant too much stuff!

everything began as seedling transplants from a reputable local nursery, and were planted exactly 5 weeks ago. i've got about 4 italian bush bean plants; 3 tomatoe plants (sweet 100's, yellow pear, and roma); 2 summer squash (green emerald and yellow straight neck); 4 sweet peppers (2 red, 2 green). one small sweet basil (in the front, away from the beans) and 2 spinach plants that bolted so i harvested them, but left one stem because i just wanted to see what it would do. thank goodness the bok choi didn't make it or i'd be in some awful trouble, lol!

now, with all that said... i'm worried that everything's too close together. i've moved my peppers yesterday (still in the bed) to give them more space, but i'm worried about my squash. they're looking fantastic,with 2 big blooms on one, and many more coming on the others, but the flowers that are coming on are low to the ground (makes it hard to water because i don't want to get them wet!). they're growing like crazy and am wondering if they should be staked or but on a trellis? one of the squash plants are super close to one of the tomatoe plants, which i just staked.

the tomatoes are growing well too - lots of little yellow flowers on the roma and the yellow pear (it has my first tomatoe on it!), but the sweet 100 has no flowers?? thtey are planted in a row against the back of the bed next to the bush beans.

the italian bush beans look great too, tons of pretty delicate white flowers. no issues. the peppers look great, but only one has a flower with the bottom of a little pepper showing. the other 3 look great, but have had the beginnings of the flowers for weeks now.

no bugs (so far!) for any of the plants in this bed (well, one scale bug on one of the bean leaves, bug i got it before any real damage done). and everything looks great.

so here are my concerns/questions:

- i'm wondering if i should move the squash, or if i even can/should. it's so close to one of the tomatoe plants that i'm wondering if i could/should trim the leaves/branches of the side of it that butts up against the squash plant.

- i'm worried about how low/ close to the ground the squash blooms are, and if i should stake the plants to raise them

- should i be concerned about the sweet 100 tomatoe plant that is the biggest/tallest (also butting up to the squash) but has no flowers.

- should i be concerned about the peppers that have yet to flower? they've got buds, just no flowers.

any suggestions, recommendations will be so very appreciated! and yes, i planted too many cabbage and

broccoli in the other 3by3 bed also, lol!! sigh....!

angela

Comments (10)