SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

Ideas for Pre-Cooked Frozen Meals for my Elderly One-Armed MIL

robin_d
16 years ago

I really need some help with this idea I've had for the ultimate Christmas gift for my Mother-In-Law, who doesn't need "stuff". She's in an Assisted Living joint and the food has really gone downhill, and she can't afford to buy frozen meals (and doesn't like most of them anyway). She loves my cooking and really relishes leftovers. She can't really cook for herself - her "kitchenette" has only a microwave and a tiny dorm-sized fridge with a tinier freezer compartment. She is largely wheelchair-bound and only has one working arm due to a stroke.

I want to make a lot of reheatable pre-cooked frozen meals that we can keep in our freezer - real food, not the crappy institutional, salt/sugar/flavorless crap they're now calling "food" at her AL joint. DH can bring her some every week when he visits. She'd be in hog heaven - leftovers several days a week! And maybe, just maybe, she'd be able to gain some much-needed weight if she had food she enjoyed eating.

I was thinking I could scour thrift stores for luncheon-sized Corningware plates, put the pre-frozen portions on the plates and then vac-seal in my FoodSaver. All she'd have to do is snip a corner of the bag, nuke them, then cut the end of the bag and slide the plate out... or I could maybe use gallon Zip-Loc bags and she can remove the plates before nuking...? DH could bring the plates home for me to re-use and I can continually restock her freezer with "leftovers" - I'd only need to cook a bit extra. Are there any reasonably-priced microwavable food containers that would work better?

I was thinking that I could bake lasagna, chill it, then cut it into squares when it's really firm in order to get cohesive pieces, then freeze. Things like Chicken Picatta (if the chicken was cut into bite-sized pieces) over rice, Stir-fries, casseroles etc. could be frozen in smallish containers and then unmolded onto the plate. Would this work? I could just use individual containers if they are microwavable, but I think plated meals would seem more like "real" food.

Anyway, the food needs to be things that she can manage with one hand: casseroles, lasagna, fish, stir-fries... she loves home-made soups, stews - really, just about anything that actually tastes like FOOD, lol! She buys her own fresh fruit, bagged salads etc., so it's really just entree and hot side dish type things I need.

I need to start planning as this is going to be a fairly big project and I'll need to get started before long. I would really appreciate some recipe ideas, as well as general advice on how best to handle this project.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals