SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quilt_mommy

Saw the 1880 house - are these signs of poor foundation?

quilt_mommy
14 years ago

Well, since the house is empty we went and drove by the 1880's house to peek in the windows. Hubby is not thrilled. Lol* I love the charm of the house but red flags were going up everywhere. :( It looked as if the vinyl siding was pulling off of the house in the back - at the TOP. The front porch slopes - this makes me think foundation, but I know nothing about that sort of thing.

Could it be just a crappy porch or is that sloping, almost like it's falling away from the house be a sign of foundation problems?

There is old wallpaper hanging on the walls in the "master bedroom" (which they say is a 5th bedroom but really, when you're there, it's more of just a second living room or a great room)...the wallpaper is starting to fall off - is this just from age or could that also be foundation? I read on one of your posts or sites that the foundation repairs did something to the old wallpaper, so now I can't get that out of my head!

The pro's are there are newer windows throughout except for one small window in the back, the roof looks good, it has new carpet and an updated kitchen. It appears to have recessed lighting in all of the rooms downstairs.

Con - The bathroom is SMALL for a 5 bedroom house, and there is only 1.

Another con - it's two houses down from an OLD cemetary. Small...but still adds a bit of creepiness to the house. It was dusk when we went and I was a little creeped out with it being empty and old and all! LOL*

Any thoughts or input are appreciated...thanks for all of your help so far!

I'd really love an older home with some interesting history, and we desperately need more space than our 1974 ranch provides. Hope that the poor housing market and our high expectations don't do us in. :(

Comments (7)