SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

Wedding foods - at LindaC's request

gellchom
12 years ago

In the "gellchom... wedding?" thread on the "conversations" board, LindaC told me to start a thread here about food from my son's wedding. Now, when someone who has helped you as much as LindaC has helped me (I'm making your chicken croquettes tonight, LindaC) says to do something, you don't delay.

So here, as instructed, is Cherry Amoretti Crisp that my friend Susan made for the dinner Friday night cohosted by several of our friends. It was the official dessert of the Central Ohio ACLU for years. It's great, but it's a lot of work just finding those cookies, let alone pitting all those cherries. If you use some other kind of crisp almond macaroon and frozen pitted cherries, I won't tell anyone.

Cherry Amoretti Crisp

Crust:

1 c oatmeal

1 c amoretti (Italian almond kernal cookies), coarsely chopped -- you will need about 16

1/3 c light brown sugar

1 t cinnamon

1/2 allspice

1/4 t ginger

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Fillling:

1/3 c sugar

3 T Amaretto

2 T fresh lemon juice

1 t minced lemon zest

1/2 t cinnamon

3 T cornstarch

6 C sweet cherries, pitted (about 3 lb.)

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 2-quart souffle dish

Make crust by combining all the crust ingredients except the butter in food processor. Pulse 3-4 times until dry ingredients are mixed. Add cold butter pieces and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Set aside.

Combine the sugar, amaretto, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon, and cornstarch in a large saucepan over low heat. Whisk to dissolve the cornstarch and cook about 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the cherries, stirring to coat them with the sauce. Cook about 2 more minutes.

Pour the cherry mixture into the dish and let cool a few minutes. Spoon the cookie mixture over the cherries. Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes. Watch carefully after 30 minutes; you may need to cover it with aluminum foil if it starts getting too brown. Remove from oven and let cool. Serve alone or with whipped cream or good quality vanilla ice cream.

Comments (2)