SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Sneak Peak: Wedding Cake and Bride...

annie1992
13 years ago

I read the "toast" thread a few minutes ago, thanks Jessica, for starting that!

I just got back from the reception hall, decorating and finishing up the nacho bar and doing final touches on the wedding cake. Here it is, top layer is strawberry chiffon, second layer is LindaC's carrot cake, bottom layer is Colleen's chocolate. I did a separate groom's cake out of Beth's lemon...

and the bride from her final "fitting", after I'd done the last alterations:

thanks again, you'll all be there in spirit tomorrow! Hopefully, I'll be sitting with a glass of wine about this time tomorrow.

Annie

Comments (61)

• caliloo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Amanda is just gorgeous! Sending wishes for happiness for years to come for all of you. CONGRATS!!!!

Alexa

• cloudy_christine
    13 years ago

Annie, the cake looks wonderful. And Amanda is so beautiful!
    Looking forward to more pictures.

• Related Discussions

The appetizers...

Q

Comments (72)
    Annie, how is the search for appatizers for the wedding going? Here's a couple more suggestions for you. How about tiny meatloaves made in mini muffin pans? Or Sauerkraut balls. This was my MIL's recipe for them. Sauerkraut Balls 8 slices b acon 1/2 c. fineluy chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced (not in my house with my allergies!) 1 can (16-oz.) sauerkraut, drained (I use bagged) 1/2 c. mashed potatoes 1 T parsley 1 1/2 c finely crushed corn flakes 2 eggs beaten Oil Fry bacon in large skillet crisp, drain & crumble. Pour off all but 2 T. fat. Add onions & garlic to fat in skillet. Cook & stir until onion is tender. Remove from heat, stir in bacon, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes & parsley. Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto waxed paper lined baking sheet. Gently form ball shapes. Cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap, refrigerate until firm or overnite. Dip sauerkraut balls in eggs. Roll in cereal. Heat oil to 375° F., fry until golden brown about 1/2 min. Drain on paper toweling. Serve hot. Can be fried 24 hours in advance and reheat in 400°F. oven about 10 minutes. We make a bunch and freeze them after they are fried. Just thaw and heat in an electric roaster. Don't ask how many the recipe makes! I have no idea! Tami
    ...See More

Sneak peek at the wedding dress....

Q

Comments (67)
    Thanks everyone, I don't think I dare show this to Ashley, she's going to get a big head! Cathy, don't worry about it. I know that everyone has their own way of doing things and I know you aren't malicious at all. At least I don't have to deal with a florist, a caterer, flights, accomodations or foreign languages! Ashley did hire a photographer, but that's her problem. Social event? ROFL. We don't have "social events" here, and I've never heard anyone refer to any local wedding as a social event. It will be a heck of a good party, though, so if you want to come to Michigan, come on up, I'll have a cranberry juice and limoncello ready for you. You'll be safe, every cop and fire fighter in the county will be here! Annie
    ...See More

Lets talk weddings!

Q

Comments (40)
    When I worked weddings back in the 80s most weddings averaged around 150-200 guests. It was a moderately-priced venue - you could do fancy but most people stuck to the basics (stuffed chicken!). Family-style meals were also common (and probably the least expensive option I think). We didn't do buffets for weddings. There were weddings in the 200s but over 300 was extremely rare. Anything larger couldn't fit in our building so that's why we didn't see the really big ones. There could have been plenty of those big weddings at other venues for all I know but I doubt it
    ...See More

My fave part of the wedding

Q

Comments (13)
    Sable, what you said was so true-"this was her gift to England". What a beautiful sentiment. It is so sad to think of poor Diana's life and what could have been, but she certainly was a great Mum who loved her boys and raised them well. She would have been so proud. I heard an interview with her last night in some of the coverage I watched that made me so sad. She said that as she was walking down the aisle she was scanning the congregation for Camilla Parker Bowles! How tragic, it was almost like that poor girl was a sacrificial lamb. I hadn't realized she knew all along she was a wife in name only.
    ...See More
  • pat_t
    13 years ago

Best wishes for a long, healthy, & happy life together for Amanda & David.

Thanks for sharing your family with us once again!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

WOW....WOW....WOW....that (those) cakes are drop dead gorgeous! You done good, girl!

Amanda is beautiful and I can't wait to see more pictures.

Now relax and have fun! Sounds like Mother Nature is going to cooperate!

Linda

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

Oh Annie! Those cakes are so beautifully done....you are a real professional at that now. They will be so appreciated by the guests.

And Amanda is stunning. Her dress is lovely and I'm so touched that she will be carrying the handerchief I sent for your wedding as her 'something borrowed'.

I'm sending love and best wishes to you all for a perfect wedding day today, and looking forward to your photos when you have time.

Thanks for giving us the sneak peek!

SharonCb

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Annie, You've been busy! That cake turned out beautifully...I'm so impressed. So is the bride!

Have a wonderful day, celebrating. You've done a fantastic job!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

The BIG Day is here! Amanda is a beauty, remember to have some tissues with you at the wedding for those tears of joy.
    The cakes looks great!

Nancy

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, just lovely! What a beautiful bride! You must be very proud.

And the cake...you've done a wonderful job!

Have a wonderful day. All the best to you and the new couple today!

Di

• lindac
    13 years ago

The stage is set....let the action begin!! the cakes are beyond gorgeous as is the bride...now what does the mother of the bride look like? don't forget a picture of yourself!
    Linda C

• mtnester
    13 years ago

What a beautiful bride! And I love the unique way you've arranged and decorated the cakes. Another Mazel Tov and best wishes to the happy couple and their family!

Sue

• teresa_nc7
    13 years ago

Annie, here's hoping all goes without a hitch tomorrow - if that is possible. There usually has to be a hitch of some sort so you'll have something to talk about over the years.

Amanda is stunning and the dress is just beautiful. I love that your cake offerings have something for everyone.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the day.
    Teresa

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Cheers to the happy couple. I hope you have a wonderful day after all of your hard work!

Teresa

• jessyf
    13 years ago

Hand the camera to someone else and enjoy the day. Please.

I offer proof reading services for your updates. You don't often goof!

Give Amanda a hug for me, OK to wait until next week!

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

Amanda looks beautiful Annie! I love the overskirt on her gown and the veil looks beautiful too.

You did a beautiful job on that cake and it will taste 100% better than those things you buy. You sure have a lot of energy and are a great mother. I know everything will come off well tomorrow.

• User
    13 years ago

Great job Annie , both on the cake and on your daughter! They both turned out lovely!

• eileenlaunonen
    13 years ago

WOW Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• woodie
    13 years ago

Just beautiful, Annie. Congratulations to Amanda and David and your entire family. I'm so happy for you!

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Major WOW!! EXCELLENT job on those cakes. Very professional.

What a beautiful bride Amanda is! Takes after her mother!

Thanks for taking the time to show us. Have a wonderful, wonderful day tomorrow!!

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful bride and the cake is awesome. Thank you for sharing from the very beginning of preperations with all of us.

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

Everything looks perfect for today, the bride, the cake, the weather. I've loved following the plans for the wedding and am looking forward to hearing all about it and seeing more pictures.

Congratulations to Amanda and David.

And a high five to Annie for making everything so beautiful.

Lee

• compumom
    13 years ago

Acck, my message from last night is missing, but my love and good wishes are still with you! Congratulations to the family!

• amck2
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Your cakes look amazing and Amanda looks beautiful. Hoping you are all having the best time as I write this!

• compumom
    13 years ago

Beautiful daughter(s),fabulous cakes, food, favors and alterations too? YOU ARE WONDERMAMA!

Love to all,
    E

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Amanda is beautiful and you're the CAKE BOSS.

• lorijean44
    13 years ago

Oh my - that cake turned out great!! And Amanda looks absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see all the pics. I'm sure you're tipping a cocktail by now (hopefully)!

Lori :D

• riverrat1
    13 years ago

Annie, Thank you for the preview of the most wonderful day your daughter will remember forever. I'm sitting here just knowing what a wonderful time all the guest are having!
    The cakes are perfect, the bride is perfect and the day has to be one of the best days you will remember for the rest of your life. Amanda looks like she is ready, you are ready, monkey princess is ready and Bruver...well we will know once you post pics. I'm ready to see bright smiling faces from everyone!
    Thank you for sharing this very special day with us! Congrats to all!

• nancylouise5me
    13 years ago

My gosh annie, how did you do all of this!!? Perfection is all I can say. Best wishes to the bride and groom for a happy, happy life together. Now, take a deep breath and enjoy the day. Can't wait to see the pictures. Enjoy! NancyLouise

• Tracey_OH
    13 years ago

Well you did a fabulous job on the cake as I knew you would and the bride is stunning. Can't wait to hear about everything!! Congrats to the bride and groom.

Tracey

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Patience is not my strong suit. Tap...tap...tap...

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

I can only say that Annie pulled off a fantastic wedding. She even made sure there was perfect fall weather. Amanda walked down the aisle in one of the most gorgerous dresses I have ever seen, looking like a princess. The groom is a very handsome young man and the two make a beautiful couple. And Annie was stunning in a gown of chocolate brown chiffon and sequins. And what man is not handsome in a tux?

The hall was lovely and very comfotable, with everyone mingling and dancing after some phenomenal foods. I have been to weddings that cost a small fortune and this beat them all.

I have about 50 photos on the camera and will try to get them posted tomorrow along with more details on the hog roast/pig pickin'. Hopefully Annie and Elery are recovering today and tomorrow! She needs too, she was super women again.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Peppi, thanks for sharing. I'm really sorry I missed the wedding. I'm sure our party last night wasn't as much fun ;)

Can't wait to see the pics.

Go Annie!

• jessyf
    13 years ago

she was super women again.

Ya know, that isn't a typo!

Thanks Peppi!

• lsr2002
    13 years ago

Sherry and Peppi, how wonderful that you could be there to share in Amanda and David's wedding. I wish I could have been there too.

I certainly sounds as perfect as we all knew it would be and I'm eagerly waiting pictures and more descriptions also.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Lee

• gellchom
    13 years ago

I can't decide who is more beautiful, the cake or Amanda (don't tell her I said that!). Both gorgeous.

Mazal tov to the whole family!

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Sigh. Okay, I'll wait for photos...

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have some pictures too, but I'm just too tired to post them. The grandkids spent the night with me last night, we took them out for breakfast this morning then spent the day with Elery's sister and BIL who came from Tennessee, so I just got home from the beach in Ludington. I'm whupped.

I was pretty much in charge of the kitchen, so I had one glass of wine, never did get dinner (or breakfast or lunch!), and had one dance with Elery. Sherry and Peppi were kind enough to cut and serve cake, somehow that little detail had been overlooked and no one had been asked. Like CF champs, they stepped up and pitched in, for which I will be forever grateful.

I was scrubbing pans and mopping the kitchen floor by 10 pm while the party was still going on out front, had the kids at my house and in bed asleep by 11. However, I think everything hurt from my feet (those darned shoes) to my shoulders, my stomach was a bit upset and my back ached. I got up this morning feeling like I'd been beaten up and I didn't stretch out until a long walk on the pier at Lake Michigan today, finally I felt better.

Now I'm going to bed. Yeah, I know it's only 10:30 but I've been going full speed for about 3 days now and haven't slept well, somehow. (grin) I'll post more pictures, I promise, including the beer glass groom's cake!

Thank you, everyone. I have better pictures of Amanda too, LOL, and the groom, and the kids...

Annie

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Oh Annie! Thanks for checking in and giving us a quickie report. I know you must be exhausted. Kudos to Sherry and Peppi.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Annie, it's a very well deserved rest! Just having the grand babies wears me out.

Sherry & Peppi, Now that's real CF camaraderie, what troopers you both are.

• caliloo
    13 years ago

Ohmigosh - I am exhausted just thinking about it.... you are Amazing Annie!!! And well done Sherry and Peppi!!!!

Alexa

• jude31
    13 years ago

Annie, I agree... you are amazing! One question...why was no one helping you so that you had to do it all? After all the hours and hours you put into the wedding and then didn't get to enjoy it. What a shame! I know everything was just beautiful. How good that Sherry and Peppi were there.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I am looking forward to more pictures of the beautiful bride and cake.

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

I hope I did this right. Head over to conversations please.

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

Peppi, you did it just right! Thank you for sharing. Everyone looks beautiful and happy! Amanda is stunning. Yes, a perfect wedding.

Eileen

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

Best wishes to the happy couple. I love her dress Annie - is contemporary but traditional looking, all at the same time.

The food looks SO GOOD. I'm thinking about all he expensive wedding meals I've had that have been mediocre. I'd so rather have barbecue!!

Sue

• obxgina
    13 years ago

Oh Annie, Amanda looks stunning and the cake is just perfection! You must be exhausted! I hope you are taking some R&R today! Can't wait for more pictures!
    Congrats again to everyone!
    Gina

• annie1992
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jude, the groom's family decorated the hall and cleaned that all up except the kitchen. They actually like to drink and dance. I don't drink and I don't dance, and I was trying to avoid the "reserved" table as I'd rather wander around, sit with my friends and do as I pleased. The groom's family did come back the next day and finish cleaning the rest of the hall.

I made all the desserts and 27 dozen dinner rolls ahead of time, so those just had to be taken from the freezer and plated on serving trays. Appetizers were nachos at a make your own nacho bar, so that was done ahead of time too. The dinner was a pig roast and the rest was pot luck with family members bringing items, so they just had to be put out and dishes kept full, but all the roasters and serving dishes needed to be washed afterward and most of them came from my house because the hall came with no cooking utensils. I did hire one friend to help me with that and my cousin Patty helped by scrubbing pans, but 300 guests kept us hopping.

I hired a bartender, so I didn't have to do that, but we went through 19 gallons of punch and finally at 10:30 I tore the punch fountain apart because the kids were just playing in it. I haven't even washed the iced tea container yet!

I don't sit around well and I'm pretty hyperactive, so I'd rather be doing something, anything. The groom's mother even went to the bachelorette party where they took salsa dancing lessons then went to a comedy club, I begged off because I have absolutely no interest.

So, did I enjoy the wedding? Not much but I usually don't attend receptions because I don't like parties. I did what I was comfortable doing, and the alternative was to sit around and do nothing, which makes me crazy. The person who was supposed to make sure the coffee urn stayed full didn't and the one that was supposed to run the CD player for the wedding march was no where to be found so I quickly pressed an ex BIL into service because he is in a band and I figured he could run the blasted thing. Everyone comes to me with the questions and problems because I'm usually the one solving them and making sure things happen. Amanda was sitting in the foyer of the church in her dress and veil as the guests were coming in. She was passing out string cheese to the 6 children in the wedding party (all under age 8) while her sister Ashley was polishing Amanda's toenails, LOL. It was pretty relaxed.

At the reception, Ashley sang a song for them to dance to, although it wasn't the song they'd picked out for their first dance. Then they had the "official" first dance, then Amanda danced with Bud while Dave danced with Makayla, then Amanda had a father/daughter dance, first with Bruce, then with Elery.

So, it wasn't structured, it wasn't a sit down catered meal and everything went fine. I avoided my ex-husband and his girlfriend and was home in bed by 11 pm and got to visit a little bit with Sherry and Peppi, so it was all good.

And I'm back at work today to rest!

Annie

• Lars
    13 years ago

That's an amazing story, and I feel like I was there - I wish I could have been! I can't imagine taking on all that work, and 300 guests is quite a lot. I look forward to seeing more pictures, and I hope Sherry and Peppi were able to help with the photography.

I love the romantic look of the dress - especiall the train and overskirt with applique embellishments. The cake is gorgeous also, and I especially like the presentation, since they are also connected and yet you can cut each layer separately.

You are certainly an inspiration, and I wish now that I was a bit more hyperactive - I tend to be on the sedate side and Kevin even more so.

Congratulations on a great job!!

Lars

• jude31
    13 years ago

Annie, I can relate to some of the things you said. I just thought you deserved to not work so hard after all you had done. I will say I'd rather wash dishes than to sit and chit chat with people I don't really know that well or just sit with nothing to do. I don't twiddle my thumbs easily. And...I would have rather been helping you in the kitchen than taking salsa lessons.-)

The wedding was beautiful and so was the bride and her mother. The cakes were spectacular! I'm glad the weather cooperated as well.

jude

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Amanda is BEAUTIFUL and those cakes are amazing Annie. You continue to amaze with all of your energy and all that you do. Glad to hear that things went well and that Sherry, Roger, and Peppi were there to celebrate with you and the families. Off to check out the pics Peppi posted.

David

• denise8101214
    13 years ago

Congratulations!