SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threedogsmom_gw

Hosting a wedding in my yard...

threedogsmom
16 years ago

OK, everyone, my SIL has asked us to host her wedding (Sept 08) in our home and backyard - approx 50-60 people. The theme is "tropical elegance" and she will be getting back to me on a decision between 2 main color schemes ( think lt. green and cranberry cymbidium orchid colors -OR- hot pink/lime green/with orange accents hibiscus colors). I will be adding many tropicals next summer just for the wedding, in pots and interspersed with the other perennials. I am excited to have the honor of hosting a wedding at our home, but when I think of all the household upgrades and repairs that will need to be done in the next year, all I see is ALOT of $$ going bye-bye. Of course it will get our house in great condition to sell, but it's alot of pressure to have the house and gardens in mint condition at the end of the season !! They are trying to save as much $ as they can and I love to plan "projects" so they have asked me to do alot of planning of the wedding for them. Tell me what you think: I am advising a cocktail reception from 4:30-8 pm, under a tent in my yard. I chose 9 different appetizers with hints of tropics, and there will be a bar as well - serving tropical drinks, beer and wine. The apps will be divided into 4 serving stations under the tent plus we will have some butlered, with 4 (8 person) tables and 32 chairs for people to sit, but it will mainly be encouraging people to walk around and mingle. We will have a small 2 tier cake dressed in matching fresh flowers, with 1 large sheet cake out of sight for serving guests. I dont know if they want a dance floor yet, since itÂs an added expense. As for food, we will be making some of it ourselves, and possibly picking up trays of catered food as well. Music- IÂd like a steel drummer for the first hour to get people in the theme mood (if itÂs in the budget), then we can switch to CDÂs made for the occasion. How many /what type glassware should we rent ? Are plastic appetizer/cake size plates in wedding color too tacky ? Are paper napkins with personalized printing OK ? I know weÂre IN a backyard, but I donÂt necessarily want it to Feel too backyard  trying for casual elegance, yet still on a budget.Your advice please !!! And pics too, if you have hever hosted a wedding at home !!

Thanks,

Amy

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting