SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olympia776

building some cabinets - please help me plan

10 years ago

I've got a 72'' space that used to be an eat in area. I've been using a boos block island in that space but I'm not thrilled with the look so I'm going to build some cabinets to go there. One potential area of sadness is that the windows in this corner of the kitchen are lower than 36'' so I'll likely have a height of 33'' for this area. One plus is that I don't have any material left from our slab so I think the different heights will make the butcher block I plan to use look good.

So, for the planning - I'm going to do a cabinet that will house my microwave and toaster oven. I'm hoping to do some kind of retracting/pocket door - the kind of thing you'd see on a media cabinet (any suggests for where to look for examples would be awesome).

With the rest of the cabinet I'm not sure what I should do. I wouldn't mind reconfiguring some of my existing storage to put some of the glass storage for lunch packing elsewhere. I'm also considering some toe-kick drawers for baking stuff. I could use more room for pots and pans but this area is opposite the range wall so not an ideal placement. I would love to have a knife drawer or potentially drawer within a drawer, whatever the term is for a shallow drawer behind/within a larger drawer front.

I'm really open for any ideas for how to maximize this space. a spice pull out could be nice too.

Thanks for your help and ideas!

Comments (4)