SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Please help me choose interior doors: some solid/some hollow?

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are trying to work on our door order. We are building an addition and we gutted out current house. We have lying around the house many removed hollow core 6 panel raised panel doors (you know the typical builder special doors). DH was keen to reuse them on our closets where they will fit. However, we no longer have the frames for install (destroyed in demo), and it seems doubtful they can be ordered separately (unless you know of a source). Therefore, it looks like we can start over with a different style door.

The problem is we want solid core doors for the bedrooms, baths and study. We would prefer the cost savings of hollow core doors for the closets (closets are swing doors) and I think I have read that pocket doors are best hollow due to weight. Therefore, for harmony, we need to find a door designs for both hollow and solid that look good together. I prefer the shaker style doors with flat, not raised panels. Are all hollow doors raised panels (in other words do hollow doors come in shaker style)? Our decorating style is transitional leaning a bit towards traditional. All doors will be painted white, not stained.

Any thought on how we can find hollow and solid core doors that look good together in a shaker style?

One kind of shaker style door I like (I like all shaker style doors) is linked below. The linked image is a 6 panel shaker, so maybe that would blend with a hollow core raised 6 panel??? What do you think?

Thanks!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: 6 panel shaker

Comments (13)