SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Menu For Casual Outdoor Summer Dinner?

John Liu
12 years ago

SWMBO has invited some people over tomorrow, 8 adults in all. It will be warm and sunny/dry. We'll eat outside, at 6 pm when it will have cooled down to mid-70s. There must be salmon in some form. I've have about 5 hours set aside to prep, cook or grill.

Menu ideas?

I have thought of various dishes that I feel like eating, but might or might not mix-match well.

- Sushi rolls with salmon, salmon skin, and ???

- Tabouleh (maybe with mint? I happen have lots of it)

- Roast pork ribs, Asian-type (so not falling-off-bone, think more toothy and glazed/char-sui like)

- Gazpacho (or some other chilled, verdant soup?)

- Ceviche, with lots of salsa

- Tomato-basil pesto on some pasta shape (I have a basil plant that wants harvesting, it will be store bought tomatoes as mine are still green)

- Some small oysters on the half shell, with mignotte (or I could pan-fry up bigger ones, or deep fry up strips of jumbo oysters - it is kinda hot to do this indoors, but I can use the side burner on the grill)

Too much seafood? Should I do buffalo wings instead of oysters? I don't know what these folks like, SWMBO told them salmon and everyone was okay with it.

Which one or two of these dishes would you leave out?

What one or two dishes would you add in? Something less standard-summer-fare? Nothing I've listed is all that interesting, I fear. I feel like I need fruit to be involved somehow.

Do I need a salad? It would probably be something with romaine lettuce because that's what's in the garden.

Dessert - ice cream? Root beer floats? Have to be something easy, as I have limited time to work on this.

I'd appreciate any comments. I know it is last-minute for this particular meal, but I figure "outdoor summer dinner" is a fairly topical menu for me (for most of us?) right now, so ideas will be useful beyond just this Saturday.

(P.S. If it seems awfully late in the year to be puzzling about outdoor summer dinner menus - like, what else have you been doing for months now? - in my defense I'll say that in PDX summer didn't really start until a couple weeks ago. We were getting gray days and showers well into July. Heck, it rained 3/4 inch at my house on July 17.).

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH