SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

And.. yet another menu change!

Funkyart
last year

I am almost embarrassed to share this-- but the menu for mom's birthday party has changed once again! The story is *almost* funny. As a quick recap, my first plan was a wonderful greek menu.. that shifted to mexican as it was the only thing that appealed to mom on the day we discussed the menu. Yesterday, we were all sitting outside as my sister and I were pulling together the shopping list and prep plan.. but here and there, mom would jump in with odd questions.. "will you marinate the kebabs?" "what about sausage? sausage is great on a kebab". Now I have to tell you, Mom does have a little hearing loss but it isn't bad.. and despite her other health issues, she doesn't have dementia. At first my sister and I exchanged confused looks and would correct her, "not kebabs, mom-- we're talking about fajita meats". Finally, after a few of these, a light went on in my head and I realized she was trying to (not so subtly) let us know she didn't want mexican anymore LOL! I was like, hey-- we havent shopped yet-- do you want to change the menu? YES! That's what she was trying to tell us! lol! She perked up and started recounting memories of a number of family gatherings where we had kebabs with a big smile on her face. So .. decision made. We very quickly adjusted the menu AGAIN.

Luckily it was a quick and easy change! It is a very simple, traditional summer meal for my family.. we've done it many times but clearly it is the one that will make mom happiest! Whew! It was a long time getting there.

Appetizers

cheese, salame & crackers

Veggie platter & dip

Hummus & pita

Warm crab and asparagus dip

Dinner

Selection of kebabs including filet, chicken, sausage, shrimp

grilled veggies (peppers, onions, zucchini, asparagus)

Bulgar Wheat Pilaf or Couscous

Grandma's Swedish/Ukranian Potato Salad (a no-mayo family recipe)

Marinated tomato, cucumber and onion salad

Caesar Salad

Dessert -

Champagne & Cake*

* My niece and I are "taking one for the team" and going to an italian bakery on Saturday to have brunch and a cake tasting... and to order some variety of custom cake with fruits.

Comments (50)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio