SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sqp1015

Yet Another Layout Help Plea!

sqp1015
11 years ago

Hello again, helpful folks! I last posted our latest layout a few weeks ago & have since tried sketching some interior wall & island views to get a better feel of how the space would look and work. To summarize, we're opening/moving walls and consolidating space to create a functional kitchen that has views to the river we live on; putting in a new fireplace that we want to be able to see while prepping & eating in new casual dining area (maintaining formal dining rm.); and moving visible cleanup sink area away from dining rm. line of sight. We're going for an Arts & Crafts-inspired feel (not museum repro); it's just DH & me, and I'm only cook; we do small-group entertaining a few times a month and larger gatherings (20 or so) a few times a year. No kids or very young relatives.

Here is our current (frightful!) first floor:

From Drop Box

Here is our latest layout idea - shows new archway to open into living rm (to see river view) and new sliding door in eating area to open onto new deck, which will wrap around to river-facing side of house & also be accessed through living rm:

From Kitchen Interior Elevations

Here are my elevation drawings - please note that they're rough and that cabinet styles, numbers/positions of drawers, etc. are VERY much subject to change, especially with the wisdom of GW applied!

Here's the wall w/ chimney - "bottom" of layout, wall that is shared w/ dining rm.:

That's beadboard as backslpash between upper & lower cabs (which will probably be quarter-sawn white oak), & we're thinking of some sort of message center (thanks again, lavender lass!) & display area in front of exposed brick chimney, allowing brick to remain visible.

Here is the wall on left of layout, with window to street view; our existing sink is on this wall (and we are determined to move it elsewhere!); lower section of pantry unit on right will be for recycling, lower section of pantry on left will be for adult beverages & associated paraphenalia ;^)

Here is the wall w/ cooktop - still wondering whether to just have induction cooktop here and double wall ovens on opposite wall (beside chimney), or whether to put one oven below cooktop (possible w/ Thermador; don't know about other brands), or to the left of & below cooktop (hate to lose those precious drawers!):

Finally, here are views of the 2 long sides of the island. Upper drawing is of side facing cooktop wall; lower drawing shows side facing oven/chimney wall. Island would be 43" (3'7") x 153" (12'9"), including overhangs, so it's composed of elements that are 24" deep back-to-back with others that are 16" deep.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some vital nuggets of info, but if you've gotten this far, THANK YOU and please barrage me with your comments!!

Comments (17)