SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
am_e

Another noob floorplan/layout help request

Am E
12 years ago

Hello everyone.

First, this lurker has benefited greatly from this forum. Even if no one answers this call for opinions, the exchange of knowledge and discussion on this site has already made my future kitchen better, so thanks for such a great resource.

Anyway, I'd like some input on kitchen layout. We are perilously close to being ready to build our dream home. So far, its all just drawings on paper, so we have not committed to anything yet. Technically, its all still a blank slate. However, unless I completely re-design the house, I have about 16' x 10' space to put the kitchen. I feel like this should be plenty if done right. Layout is wide open, but I've got two ideas below to get the ball rolling.

Info that may help:

-So far its just my husband and me, but we eat most of our meals from home. I cook and bake most days, so the kitchen of my dreams is efficient and functional, with a bit more space than I have now. I want the kitchen to be great, cause I'm there a lot.

-This is a timberframe home, which has a very open floorplan, and lots of wood. (I'm not asking for style choices yet, although I may start a thread for that once I get the layout figured out. 1 step at a time:) Here's a link of an example of a timberframe since a lot of people won't be familiar. http://www.timberpeg.com/node/1675

- I know I'll need help with style/aesthetics. I'm really about about function and work flow. I am completely clueless and helpless with style, colors, materials, and lighting. Lets save that for another time:)

- I would like the south wall (bottom wall where the sink is shown) to have as many windows as possible for solar gain

-given the location of the mudroom entrance into the kitchen (could possibly change if I had to) and basement door (much more difficult to change), the best layout isn't obvious to me. I feel like I should have plenty of space, and yet every iteration I think of has problems (that's probably true of most kitchens).

-I have not met with a kitchen designer yet. The proposed layouts are based on other houses I've seen, and internet research. (The overal floorplan of the house is a modifcation based on working with a timberframe home designer, and knowledge specific to timberframe design).

I'm hoping the wisdom of this crowd can persuade me on one option vs another, or come up with something else entirely. Critique away! thanks!

Option A

Con: work triangle is too big. island is a bit of a "barrier island" (Note: this layout is exactly as I've seen it in person, and in another house online). I have reservations, but that's also why I'm here.

Option b

pro: extra seating at the peninsula for people to hang out, but not in the way

con: cooktop is on the peninsula, which isn't terrible, but not my favorite (regardless, I will insist on a hood that functions really well, and vents outside).

con: its maybe a little cramped?

con: I wish I could put the peninsula on the other wall (on the right vs left as shown), but I can't recces the refrigerator if I do that, and the seating ends up in front of the door, so no go.

So what would you do?

Comments (19)