SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Help me elevate a really casual dinner

DLM2000-GW
6 years ago

Other than friends and family visiting from out of town we have done no entertaining in our new house. I keep putting it off waiting for 'one more project' to get done but the reality is we'll be at least half way into the next decade at that rate!

We were going to friends on Saturday, another couple invited, too (met the wife once but not the husband) for a casual dinner and to discuss some real estate ideas they have. I turned it around this morning (don't know what came over me) and asked them to come here. Weather will be chilly and rainy so I'm thinking a good hearty soup. Already checked and there are no food restrictions/dietary preferences or allergies. Mushroom/vegetable beef barley is what I have planned unless consensus here is do something else. Salad, possibly a crusty bread (I never do that when it's just the 2 of us, the barley is enough starch) and a dessert, something simple maybe apple crisp.

I need nibble/appetizer ideas - they'll want to float around and see the house and I know the one couple will bring their rain boots to walk the property down to the creek.

Planning wine but should I do a one size fits all cocktail and if so what would that be?

Salad recommendation or do I go with a basic mixed lettuce and choose your own toppings?

Bread or skip it?

Something else on the side?

Apple crisp? Blueberry pie (I have frozen berries we picked last summer), apricot cookies? Or something else? Not fruity?

Ok all you great cooks - have at it!

Comments (41)