SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

I have a rather strange question.

caflowerluver
16 years ago

I am not sure how to phrase this. What foods take lots of time and that you have to prepare right before serving, so you can't visit with the people that are visiting? Maybe several courses I could be working on for hours?

My DH's brother, wife and son are coming for a visit and I want to be busy in the kitchen preparing food so I don't have to visit with them. I posted on the Kitchen Table forum the whole situation so I won't go into here.

I think they are coming for just the afternoon, not dinner, so it will be party type food. And she is a food snob, always tries to outdo everyone in the family, so it has to be something more then chips and dip.

Thanks.

Clare

Comments (51)

• paulines
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From the sounds of it, they dislike you as much as you, them. If you can't put your big girl pants on for an afternoon and be a welcoming and gracious hostess, if only for DH & the kid's sake, then don't have them over ~ drama isn't healthy for anyone, except thespians.

• uxorial
    16 years ago

I used to do an appetizer spread for New Year's Eve. The last time (2004) I made:

Lobster ravioli with lemon chive butter
    Smoked trout in endive spears
    Chicken satay with peanut sauce
    Cucumber-carrot salad
    Pork empanaditas with avocado relish
    Zucchini madeleines with salsa
    Caesar salad croustades
    Onion-cheese toasts
    Spinach dip w/ veggies and bread
    Espresso brownies
    Fruit skewers

My intention was to make most of it ahead of time, so several of these items can be made in advance. But even so, I was cooking a lot after guests arrived, mostly putting things in the oven.

So my suggestion is to make several different things. Of my list (which was for a dozen people--still way too much food!), I'd choose the smoked trout in endive spears, Caesar salad croustades, and maybe the chicken satay. All require plenty of prep.

If you want a dessert, I'd go with something that uses ice cream or another frozen ingredient, so that you have to prepare it right before you serve it.

Linda C has some good suggestions, too.

Let me know if you want recipes for any of these.

• Related Discussions

Rather strange problem

Q

Comments (35)
    Andie, I'm exactly the same way. I had pet rabbits as a kid, and I love my neighbor kids' pet rabbits, but I didn't hesitate to order the rabbit special when I saw it on the menu in Nice last week. And before my whole family started staying with me for Easter, it was my tradition to cook bunny for Easter dinner alongside baby carrots and colored roasted potatoes. The farm raised rabbits I buy live much nicer lives than just about anything in my grocery store's meat case. Both my dogs are awesome bunny chasers and are happy to scare them out of my garden for me. They have shown no aggression towards (and have even play-bowed to) stray cats in our yard. I wonder how they would have responded to a tame bunny. Something tells me that bunny was lucky to have wandered into George & Leonne's yard & not ours... Did the boys ever find Pierre Lapin, Gandle? Suzy's right, there's no excuse for that father to have let that bunny out unsupervised!
    ...See More

I have a strange question.....

Q

Comments (6)
    I do think a few people would buy them if they think they are getting a deal, as evidenced by all the eBay daylily sales this Fall. I think it would help your sales ALOT if you have at least 5x7 photo printouts of the flowers stapled on stakes so folks know what they're getting and are drooling so they MUST buy them! *grin* marea
    ...See More

OK, now I have a strange neighbor.

Q

Comments (29)
    I'd cut her some slack.. at least someone is picking the trash up. I have to admit that I'm the one on my block that picks most of the trash up within a few houses; even in front of others houses. Yesterday we were driving up the street & I saw a bottle I've been meaning to stop & pick up the next time I drove by it. The bottle is in front of a neighbors house & has been for the last week. My peeve is the people who obviously see the trash because they walk by it (it was right by their mailbox) but don't stop to pick it up. If I'm reading the 1st post right; the tree that the bag was in is one of yours? It's possible what she really wanted to say was why didn't you pick it up.. I'm just guessing by the things you wrote. Sounds like she was side-stepping actually coming out & saying it. As far as knocking on someone's door.. that's over the line; I would never do anything like that. I know that everyone has a life; heck with what I just went through; my snow should never have been shoveled; let alone worrying about garbage on my lawn & I don't doubt other neighbors can be in the same boat with busy lives or health issues I don't know about. If I choose to pick garbage up; I'm going to pick it up & get on my way. At least I can feel good that I did something to keep trash off of my street.
    ...See More

One more question..."would you rather..."

Q

Comments (12)
    As others have said, a lot depends on the storage inside, not just the boxes. Most of us put in drawers in all of the lowers which not only maximizes storage, but is more convenient for access. WIth a small kitchen, what to do with your corners are also impt. Choices can be an easy-reach, super susan or even making it a dead corner if it allows for larger cabinet boxes to either side. If soffets are removed then you will also gain that storage all the way to the ceiling. Most also put in a deeper cabinet over the refrigerator; without the soffet the cabinet can not only be deeper, but taller and a great space for vertical tray storage. I agree removing the cabinets over the peninsula would make your kitchen look more open and brighter, but for that you will really need to maximize your storage solutions elsewhere. I'd suggest visiting a kitchen showroom and looking at all the options available with kitchen cabinets, not just the door styles, but the interior components, include the hardware.
    ...See More
  • jessyf
    16 years ago

Hi Clare, been there done that. There have been times I have put on my 'big girl pants' like Paulines suggested and there are times I have pulled a hiding trick like yours. I'm not judging, only you know whats right for your family.

Chinese food takes a LOT of last minute prep with cutting up of veggies, meats, and assembling sauces for stir fry. If you want to go that direction we can take you there.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    16 years ago

I thought this forum was for food ideas - not lectures.

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

I agree with pink warm mama. If you took the time Paulines to read what aptosca wrote about the situation over in KT like she mentioned she had posted you would see what she was talking about. Even if you don't take the time to read it she was asking for ideas not censure about how she spends her time when guests that aren't necessarily welcome come visiting. I am sure that we all have at least one friend or relative that we do love that drives us nuts and just staying out of the way is the best solution.

That being said I can't think of much time except things like Thanksgiving dinner but a grilled dinner would need some watching over.

Stacie

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Well having met Paulines and knowing what a caring, generous hostesss she is, I can only say, sometimes we just don't have time to go to another forum that we don't read, and then look all around for what a person is talking about.

And yes, I have relatives/acquaintances that are royal pitas but I try to give what I want to get. I try, and of course my tongue often works faster than my heart.

I've found that my Ipod on speakers with some 'unique' music tends to discourage kitchen visitors.

• cloudy_christine
    16 years ago

The danger is that you'll end up trapped in the kitchen with one of them -- someone will feel she has to keep you company while you do all that work. I don't know if there's a food that would discourage it, LOL. But I would not plan on anything that takes much thought. The stress of having to keep careful track of the cooking while having "company" in the kitchen would only make things worse. At least it would for me.
    So, lots of chopping, not much thinking? Or, attending to stuff you have made before and can make in your sleep.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Egg rolls, steamed dumplings, pot stickers, and freshly made sauces for those take a lot of last minute preparation in order to "be really fresh and at the peak of flavor."

I can identify. My ex's sister was dubbed by me to be the "wicked witch of the west." I just wish that I could have been as rude in ignoring her as she was in ignoring me.

Teresa

• compumom
    16 years ago

What a hoot, but you have my total sympathy! I always end up in the kitchen, but with company. Maybe try Maureen's idea of eclectic music selections as you cook. That should do it!
    Oh and I love Chase's palmier recipe. They can be made two ways and you need to watch them in the oven!

Palmiers with Honey Mustard and Prosciutto OR PESTO WITH PARMESAN***
    20 palmiers
    1 sheet puff pastry (18 x 11 inches), homemade or packaged (I used frozen Indo-Euro brand from the Armenian Deli)
    3 tablespoons honey mustard
    4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
    1 cup freshly ground Parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    2 teaspoons water
    1. Place the puff pastry on a work surface and spread the mustard over the top. Arrange the prosciutto evenly over the mustard to cover all the pastry, and then sprinkle with the Parmesan. Lightly press t he cheese into the prosciutto with a rolling pin.
    2. Starting at one long edge, roll up the puff pastry like jelly roll just to the middle of the dough; then roll up the other side in the same fashion, making two rolls that meet in the center. Using a serrated knife, cut the rolls crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper and press lightly with your hand to flatten. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
    3. Preheat oven to 400 F.
    4. Beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Brush the top of each palmier with the egg wash. Bake until puffed and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
    ***Variation: spread the puff pastry with 1/3 cup pesto and sprinkle with 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Press the cheese into the dough with a rolling pin and proceed as directed.
    Source: The Silver Palate Goodtimes Cookbook copyright 1984, 1985

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I just read your KT thread and will post non-food stuff over there. Whoo-wee!

• User
    16 years ago

Here are three recipes I always make in advance but they could take up a considerable amount of time if you made them just before serving.

The trick would be to make one and while it bakes make another and while it bakes make the last one. That ought to do in the afternoon!!! All three delicious and make nice presentations.

I would make the Stacked Pizza ( stupid name!) then the Gougere served with a selection of olives and lastly the stuffed mushrooms.

You would be in the kitchen a lot but constantly bringing out another wonderful treat...and don't forget to put on a fancy little apron! LOL

Stacked Pizza - looks and tastes way better than the name would suggest!

7 sheets phyllo pastry
    1/2 Cup butter melted
    7 Tbl freshly grated parmesan
    1 1/2 Cup grated mozarella
    1 sweet onion sliced thinly And Separated Into Rings
    5-6 roma tomatoes sliced
    1 Tsp oregano
    salt and pepper to taste ( I don't useany I find the parm salty enough and I forget about the pepper!!!)
    fresh herbs sprigs, thyme
    oregano or rosemary

Preheat oven to 375. Follow package instructions to thaw phyllo. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on baking sheet, brush with butter and sprinkle with 1 TBSP of the Parmesan cheese. Repeat until all layers are used. Press down firmly so layers stick together. Sprinkle top sheet with mozzarella.
    Place onions on top then place tomatoes on top. Season with oregano.
    Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges are golden, and the bottom is cooked.
    Decorate with fresh herbs and cut into squares (squares can be cut in half to make two bite triangles)

Notes: I slice the onions and then cut the circles in half to arrange on top. I also try and line the tomatoes up in a diagonal pattern, I don't place them randomly, and then when I cut it I cut the squares so each piece has 1 roma slice. I also don't measure anything anymore I just sprinkle the cheese. I use rosemary but I cut the leaves off the stems. I've often cooked it with the rosemary on it. I also line my baking sheet with parchment paper.

La Gougere (Ann T)

1 Cup water (or half milk/half water)
    1/3 Cup butter
    1/2 Tsp salt
    fresh nutmeg Grated ( I use pre grated)
    cayenne pepper
    1 Cup flour
    4 eggs
    1 Tbl Dijon Mustard
    1 Cup gruyere cheese
    1 Tsp milk
    extra cheese for top

Bring the water/milk to a boil and add butter. When butter has melted remove pan from heat and add flour, salt, cayenne, nutmeg,pepper and stir vigorously with a big wooden spoon.The mixture should come away from the sides of the pan and form a ball.

Place mixture in the bowl of a large mixer and add one egg at a time beating well, After you add last egg continue to beat well. Mixture will be shiny. Add dijon mustard and taste for seasoning. Adjust to your taste. Add coarsely grated cheese. Butter a large cookie sheet and flour. Drop a large TBSP of the dough onto the cookie sheet to make individual puffs.

NOTE: Ann's original recipe has these instructions , we prefer individual puffs to the circle.

Draw a small circle in the flour (about 2 inches wide) and proceed to drop the dough by tablespoon fulls around the outside of this hole, making a ring,
    or a crown. Dough should be piled high.Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle the extra cheese over top.

Bake the ring in the over for 45 minutes at 400F. Do Not Open Door.

Aften baking, open the door of the oven and leave the gougere in the oven for 5 minutes. It should be firm to the touch and golden brown.

My Stuffed Mushrooms

20 large white mushrooms
    1/3 Cup butter (maybe a bit more)
    4 or 5 green onions chopped fine
    2- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar
    1/3 Cup bread crumbs
    salt

Clean mushrooms and carefully remove stems. Chop stems finely (I use the food processor). Melt butter in a saute pan. Saute mushroom stems and onions over medium heat until soft but not browned and the stems have given up their juices. Mixture should be quite moist. Add the bread crumbs, only enough to absorb the liquid. Add the grated cheese and stir just until it has melted. Don't worry if the oil separates from the cheese.Stuff the mixture into the caps and sprinkle with a bit of salt (or you can salt after they come out of the oven...which is what I usually do). Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes or until the caps are nice and soft.

• fenworth
    16 years ago

The last paragraph of the recipe above brought something to mind: Hide your food processor. Last thing you want is something that will make the work quicker!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lindac & uxorial- Thanks for all the great food ideas. They sound yummy. Too good for them but I will enjoy them too.

jessyf & teresa_nc7 - Chinese food sounds good but I must admit I am not that good at it. I wish I was because I love it.

pink warm mama & girlsingardens - A big huge thank you for what you said!

cloudy_christine - I never thought of that, trapped with my SIL. I guess I will politely say that I am one of those who likes to work alone. It is true, I always turn down help in the kitchen.

msazadi - Maybe I will borrow my husbands Ipod. Good idea!

compumom - That sounds delicious! I want to just make it to eat it all myself.

Here is the link to the Kitchen Table post. if you are interested in the background.
    Thanks.
    Clare

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

jessyf - I will look for your post.

chase - so many good recipes - thank you!

fenworth - Good idea! LOL!!!

I am going to print and keep all these wonderful recipes to make just for us in the future.
    Thanks everyone!
    Clare

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Wow, Clare! I just read the whole thread and you definitely have my sympathies on this! I think it's a guy thing to be able to put up with that kind of stuff and not get emotional about it. Or maybe it's a girl thing that we DO get so emotional! (yes, that's a vast generalization but just about every couple I know is like that.)

But, let me understand, after all this brou-ha-ha, you are now hosting them for a dinner at your house? I have to say that you are waaaaaaay nicer than I am! No way I'd cook for these folks, we'd be going out. And I'd conveniently leave my credit cards at home (taking Y'ALL out is the very LEAST they can do).

Sorry I have no recipes or ideas to offer, my policy is to get out of the kitchen as fast as possible when having guests, but you definitely have my sympathy and empathy! My only real suggestion is to have a few drinky-poos before they arrive. That's probably the only way I'd get through the evening if it were me! LOL Good luck, I hope the evening goes by fast!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Clare, I can't add much in the way of recipes but I'd say definitely go for something "fiddly" unless there's a dish they all particularly detest. If there is, I'd make THAT.

Like Jessica, I've "put on my big girl panties" and smiled through all my ex-MIL's carp, but I distinctly remember one Thanksgiving that I spent alone in the kitchen with a bottle of wine while everyone else was eating dinner. I didn't even pretend I was still cooking, either.

Good luck, I hope everyone survives. Then again, maybe they shouldn't....

Annie

• maureen_me
    16 years ago

I read your thread at the KT as well. You have my sympathy.

No recipe suggestions. But I was thinking that if they're going to be within earshot of the kitchen while you're out there cooking, you could keep sneezing and coughing loudly, and making those really disgusting hawk-and-spit sounds. With any luck, they'll leave before dinner ever makes it to the table.

But seriously . . . you're very kind to do this for people who don't seem to be very worthy of your kindness. Just remind yourself that you're doing it for your husband. If this is what he wants, even though no one else thinks he should want it, then it's an act of love for him. And that's really all that matters.

• booberry85
    16 years ago

It might be a good idea to have some activities planned in case someone decides to "help." Have them shuck corn or help set up the table while you get your things done in the kitchen.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lowspark - Thanks for the kind words of support. I don't think we are doing dinner, but just an afternoon of wine and food. If we do dinner, after all that, then I will demand we go out. The only thing I heard from DH was they said they guessed they could "spare a few hours" to drive over for a visit. No explaining why some people are so rude, inconsiderate and thoughtless in what they say. I wonder if they ever listen to themselves and how it comes across.

annie1992 - Everytime his relatives come out I put on a brave face and keep thinking what my mom always said, "This too will pass." And having a few drinks don't hurt either. A bottle for them and a bottle for me! Sorry to hear about your bummer Thanksgiving. I've been through a few myself.

maureen_me - LMBO! Cough, cough - I think I am coming down with a cold! And thanks for the kind words. The things we do for love!

booberry85 - Good idea. I will have them cut up fruit for a fruit salad out on the table on the deck. Just give them a big grocery bag of everything I pick up at the fruit stand. That ought to keep them busy.

Thanks again everyone.
    Clare

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Clare, I just went through my files and came up with a few more ideas for you... I think I figured out what you are trying to accomplish...keep busy in the kitchen rather than sit an listen to the BS... I read the thread on the KT and only hope that your DH gets a backbone, family or not. But family dynamics are hard. You'll get through it.

Savory Cheddar and Jalape Jelly Cookie Source of Recipe Annie/Readinglady Makes about 4 1/2 dozen 8 ounces extra\-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups) 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened 1 cup all\-purpose flour 1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, or sub apple butter or chutney Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes. Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets. Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2\-inch\-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations. Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.

SHRIMP PUFFS

3 C cooked rice
    1 lb uncooked cleaned shrimp, chopped
    2 eggs
    ¾ C milk
    1 Tabsp veg. oil
    1½ tsp baking powder
    1½ tsp onion powder
    1 tsp salt
    ½ tsp pepper
    ¼ C minced parsley
    ½ tsp hot pepper sauce
    Oil for deep frying

Separate eggs and place whites in a small bowl, beat to soft peaks.

In a large bowl beat egg yolks, milk and oil.
    Combine flour with baking powder, onion powder and salt and pepper.
    Add to egg yolk mixture.
    Stir in rice, shrimp, parsley and hot pepper sauce.
    Fold egg whites into shrimp mixture.
    Heat oil to 350° in a deep pan. Drop shrimp batter by spoonfuls into oil and fry until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.

I like to serve with a honey mustard sauce. Just a couple of tabsp of honey mustard mixed into 1 C of mayo.

These are also good made into a larger size for dinner instead of traditional fried shrimp.

Nancy

Crab Muffins 1 pound crab meat, cooked and drained (reserve juice) 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 1/2 cup finely chopped celery 2 eggs, beaten 1 teaspoon prepared mustard 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 8 to 10 slices white bread, crumbled 1 tablespoon butter PREPARATION: In a skillet over medium heat melt the butter; stir in the onion and celery. Sauté for about 4 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. In a large bowl mix crab, beaten eggs, celery and onion mixture, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Gently stir in the bread crumbs a little at a time, until the mixture resembles a moist stuffing. If too dry, add some of the reserved juice from crab meat. Grease muffin pan cooking oil spray. Fill each muffin cup two\-thirds full. Bake at 350°. for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The crab muffins freeze well for 6 months without freezer burn. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Brie Crisps Source of Recipe Ginger R Exchange 4 Oz Brie rind removed, at room temperature 1/2cup butter at Room Temperature 2/3 Cup flour 2 generous dashed cayenne or to taste 1/8 Tsp salt Paprika Combine the cheese & butter in a processor & mix until creamy. Add the flour, cayenne & salt & blend until the dough almost forms a ball in the processor. Shape into a 2" cylinder & wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight. Slice the dough into 1/4" rounds, place 2" a part on a cookie sheet & bake in a preheated 400 oven for 10\-12minutes or until the edges are brown. Cool on a rack.s prinkle w/paprika. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Blue Cheese & Pear Tartlets Source of Recipe RC 4 ounces blue cheese crumbled 1 ripe pear \- peeled cored, and chopped 2 tablespoons light cream ground black pepper to taste 1 (2.1 ounce) package mini phyllo tart shells Prebake phyllo shells according to package directions. Set aside to cool. Mix together blue cheese, pear, and cream. Season to taste with pepper. Spoon mixture into cooled shells. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 15 minutes. Serve. Nancy
  • readinglady
    16 years ago

Invite some other guests, people you like who appreciate who you are so that you don't have to focus just on the "awfuls". The more the merrier.

Or grab someone off the street. It's still a win-win.

Carol

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wizardnm - Thanks for the recipes. I am getting hungry reading them. I love blue cheese and pears, I thought I was the only one! I am definitely making the 'Savory Cheddar and Jalapeño Jelly Cookie '. That sounds so good.
    DH is what he is, which is basically a good guy. Unfortunately people like that get taken advantage of by less then honorable people including relatives.

readinglady - Yes that is a good idea. I wonder who I can invite on short notice. "Or grab someone off the street." LOL!!!

Clare

• lindac
    16 years ago

I disagree....invite someone you "ought" to entertain but who are boring.....get it all over with at once....maybe they will like each other!
    Linda C

• lakeguy35
    16 years ago

Clare, if you are serving dessert this one will keep you busy in the kitchen....well worth the effort and should wow the food snob. My group loves it. Remember Meg Ryan in the movie When Harry Met Sally? That's the response I got from this recipe. Thanks again to Carol for posting it!!

David

Posted by dishesdone (My Page) on Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 21:26

This was also in this month's Chocolatier magazine and looked sinful!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Cake with Frozen Milk

Frozen Milk:
    3 1/2 cups whole milk
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    3 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate cake:
    2 cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons alkalized cocoa powder (preferably Valrhona), sifted
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 large eggs
    1 cup whole milk
    1/2 cup canola oil
    2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water

Ganache:
    1 pound milk chocolate (preferably Valrhona Jivara or Guittard)
    1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Dacquoise layer:
    1/3 cup sliced almonds
    1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 large egg whites, at room temperature
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped

Peanut butter crunch:
    1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
    3 ounces milk chocolate (preferably Valrhona Jivara or Guittard)
    1 cup Rice Krispies

Make the Frozen Milk: Combine all ingredients except vanilla extract. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and set bowl in large bowl filled one-third of way with ice water. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until chilled, about 20 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Process in ice cream machine according to manufacturers instructions. (Frozen Milk is best when served the same day.)

Make chocolate cake: Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350°F.
    Spray 9" x 13" pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients except water; pour into dry ingredients. Stir until well combined. Add boiling water and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake until cake springs back when touched in middle, about 30-40 minutes. Cool cake in pan set on wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert cake onto rack and cool completely.

Make ganache: Melt chocolate in microwave or double boiler. In small saucepan, bring cream to a gentle boil and gradually whisk into melted chocolate. Set aside.

Make dacquoise: Position rack in the center of oven and preheat to 375°F. Using 13" x 9" baking pan as a guide, trace a rectangle onto a piece of parchment paper. Turn paper over and place on a large baking sheet.
    Combine sliced almonds and confectioners' sugar in food processor and process until finely ground. Set aside.
    In bowl of electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whip egg whites on medium speed to soft peaks, gradually adding granulated sugar while whipping. Once stiff and shiny, fold in almond flour mixture. Spread into 9" x 13" rectangle on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle top with chopped peanuts and bake until browned, 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool on wire rack.

Make peanut butter crunch: In medium bowl, combine butter, peanut butter and chocolate. Place bowl over saucepan filled one-third of way with simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and mixture is
    smooth. Stir in Rice Krispies. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over dacquoise. Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.

Using a serrated knife, cut chocolate cake in half horizontally for form 2 layers. Spread one-third of ganache on top of bottom half. Remove dacquoise from freezer and peel off parchment paper. Place dacquoise, peanut butter crunch-side up, on top of ganache covered cake; gently press to remove any air pockets. Spread half of remaining ganache over peanut butter crunch. Place second half of cake on top. Refrigerate until ganache is set, about 1 hour.

Using serrated knife, carefully trim off rough edges of cake. Rewarm remaining ganache over a pot of simmering water, and spread over top of cake. Serve a square of cake with a scoop of frozen milk.

Recipe by Nancy Olson, Peacock Alley, Waldorf-Astoria, NYC from Chocolatier Magazine March 2006

Note: I served store bought ice cream so I can't comment on the frozen milk.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lindac - That is a puzzler. The only ones I can think of are ones from work and you see them enough from 8-5! ;>)

lakeguy35 - Wow, that dessert sounds sinful! (But yummy!) I love PB and chocolate. I think I would go with the store bought ice cream too.

Clare

• livingthedream
    16 years ago

Tempura -- for appetizers, small pieces would be so nice. And since deep frying could spatter, and distraction could be dangerous, safest if guests keep their distance from the cook.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

livingthedream - I love tempura. We use to have a fondue pot for that, but I think we got rid of it. Too bad because that would have kept them outside and busy.
    Clare

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

You certainly got a lot of good recipes above; since it's not a dinner, you'll be able to keep making different hors d'oeuvres one after the other. A few minutes of talking and up you go to check on something.

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I've learned to assert myself really well when having family or friends in the kitchen gets to me too much. This happened recently when I had a sit-down dinner for fifteen which included 6 kids. I gave them a few minutes in the kitchen, then announced in a strong voice, "okay, I want the kitchen to myself now." "Shoo, Shoo." DH stayed with me and was with me 100 percent and it worked like a charm with no hurt feelings.

You have lots of good recipes here and I wish you good luck.

Beverly

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mitchdesj - I am doing the shopping tomorrow for the whatever-it-is on Monday. It would be nice if they would let us know if they are coming for lunch, the afternoon, or dinner. I am planning on just hors d'oeuvres and to keep them coming so I am always busy.

beverlyal - I am going to try some of the recipes listed. They all sound great. Hopefully DH will keep them entertained outside on the deck so I will have the kitchen to myself.

Thanks.
    Clare

• sands99
    16 years ago

Clare, I'm not going to add a recipe but I will add my condolences for you having to deal with a family situation that's a chore[to say the least]. Keep busy and keep your head up high, you'll weather this problem I'm sure just because of the aplomb you've shown here in dealing with it. Do you have a radio or cd player in the kitchen? I find that always helps when I'm trying to tune out one of my outlaws.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sands99 - Thanks for the kind words. We will put the Ipod in the docking station and turn it up loud so we can hear it outside but too loud for conversation indoors. And as my mom always said, "This too will pass." Thank goodness they don't come out very often.
    Clare

• blizlady
    16 years ago

I don't have a recipe to add, but it sounds like you have things under control. I read your post and responses at the KT, and you certainly do have my sympathy!

• dragonfly2
    16 years ago

to start with make yourself a big batch of martinis.. it will get easier after that.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

izlady - Thanks, just have to get through it. I have been having this thought, that after I do all this shopping and prepare most of the food, they call up and cancel. I am not sure if I would be happy or ticked off.

dragonfly2 - How about Margaritas instead! Also, since it has been so hot, I have been thinking a pitcher of Sangria would be nice.
    Clare

• shaun
    16 years ago

Girl I feel for ya.

• Karigraphy
    16 years ago

If I were in your shoes, I'd order pizza and serve it on paper plates along with a big bottle of wine, to drink while you have your feet up.

Save the wonderful food for good friends, maybe even served on the night your guests aren't staying for dinner.

There is no reason to go out of your way for people who were uninvited and are going to be unappreciative.

Kari

• jessyf
    16 years ago

LISTEN TO KARIGRAHY LISTEN TO KARIGRAPHY

Two buck chuck and Dominos. Unless someone can think of something worse.

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

shaun - Thanks.

karigraphy - Actually I did something similar in the long run.

jessyf - I did - sort of.

This is how it turned out. And a couple of glasses of wine helped the situation.

I had planned on being busy in the kitchen making all these dishes. Well, I never got the chance because they showed up for lunch (2 hours before I expected them), not wine and appetizers in the afternoon. So quick change of plans and I had to make lunch instead.

I had bought some fancy chips like pita chips (love those), sweet potato chips (also love), and potato chips cooked in olive oil. And I had made a feta cucumber dip, plus a goat cheese dip and some salsa. I was going to serve that while I made the rest. As it turned out, I just put together some deli meat and cheese sandwiches and served that with the chips. And we drank lots of wine and/or beer. And no one was harmed in the process.

I will make all those recipes everyone gave me just for us one of these days. Thanks again, everyone, for the recipes.
    Clare

• compumom
    16 years ago

That's a relief! Did you want to strangle anyone? Did they at least say thank you when they left?

• Karigraphy
    16 years ago

It sounds like the best of both worlds - something simple but tasty. I'm glad it went smoothly and everyone lived another day.

By the way, once I received a postcard from my father when he and my mother went to Las Vegas. All it said was:

"Nobody's dead yet. Dad"

That pretty much summarizes it when it comes to family sometimes!

Karen

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

Dominos and Two-buck Chuck? I'm there!

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

karigraphy & gina_w - I forgot to mention, we did serve Two Buck Chuck. We didn't tell them till after they drank it. DH's brother considers himself someone what of a wine snob and only buys $10+ bottles of wine. After they commented how good it was and asked what it was, did we tell them. Surprise!

compumom - Maybe & No!

karigraphy - "Nobody's dead yet." That pretty much sums it up.

I am going to try out all these recipes, one or two a week. I look forward to the pear and blue cheese one especially when my Barletts come in.
    Thanks everyone.
    Clare

• lowspark
    16 years ago

Whew!! I'm glad it's over and I'm glad you survived. Now... on to the next crisis! LOL

• booberry85
    16 years ago

Glad it's over! Now you have some time to sort out the suggestions here and play with the recipes you want to make (It seems like lamb chops, rare, fava beans and a nice chianti would have been a good suggestion too!)

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lowspark - Next crisis - ain't that the truth! If it isn't one thing, it's another.

booberry85 - LMBO - got the reference! I am still chuckling.
    Clare

• compumom
    16 years ago

No "Thank you"? What a bunch of heathens! Aren't you glad you are only related by marriage? LOL

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Clare, I'm happy to hear that everyone survived, especially you and your DH.

there are a lot of really good recipes here, I'm reminded that I should make some of them. The Cheddar and Jalapeno Jelly thumbprints are one of my favorites, but I use homemade Habanero Gold in them and give them a really good dose of heat.

Annie

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    16 years ago

compumom - As someone said, 'You can't choose your relatives." Thanks goodness, we only see them once every 5 years.

annie1992 - Cheddar and Jalapeno Jelly thumbprints do sound good to me too. Also like Jalapeno and any kind of berry jelly on cream cheese with crackers. Yum! Unfortunately I am the only one who eats such things. DH & DS don't like and can't take spicy food. I use to grow Jalapeno and other peppers but they ended up on the compost pile. One person can only eat so much.
    Clare

• blizlady
    16 years ago

Wow, I bet you are glad that's over! Plus some great recipes to try. I love the "serve two buck chuck and dominos"!!! We actually like them both, so we would have been gracious guests!