SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alldaylaundry

Avoiding Soap Build-Up

alldaylaundry
15 years ago

I purchased an all-natural "soap" yesterday to give it a try in my FL Maytag Epic. It is an actual soap that contains borax. I thought I would test it out as it is cheap ($10 for 60 loads, and I'm using less than recommended so I'll get more), has a very light fragrance and they advertise that you don't need a FS with it. I've done one load so far with 1/4 cup of soap and my towels came out soft, fluffy and fresh smelling, much nicer than with the Tide and 1/2 natural FS sheet I've been using.

My only concern is that this soap will build-up in the machine and the sheets and towels I'm using it in. Has anyone had this problem with their homemade soaps at all? I will still be using liquid Cheer HE for darks in cold water, and powder Tide HE for whites/colours in hot/warm water (but only till the Tide gets used up) so will that help cut build-up in the machine? I just loved the way those towels felt and would love to use if for my sheets/towels only, as I'm not sure it would handle our clothing (lots of stains from 1-year-old, military DH and large black lab).

I'm still trying to find the perfect laundry regimem as I've only had the machines for a month. I may end up ordering Charlie's soap to give it a try eventually once I use up what I have, but I'm in Canada so it works out to be more expensive with shipping. We'll see what happens, comments are appreciated.

Comments (17)