SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patann_gw

Build-up in washer tub

Pat z6 MI
13 years ago

I know, I know, here we go again. But I need your help. I have a Whirlpool top-loader. I discovered a waxy-type build-up on the top interior of my tub, above the full water line. The same build-up was on the outside of my agitator, above the fill line, before I scoured it off with Magic Eraser. I have read hundreds of posts on this Forum over the past two years and have changed a lot of my past habits. I assumed the build-up was from either fabric softener or liquid detergent, even though I usually use hot water. I mean, how can Tide liquid detergent be called the best by Consumer Reports at laundry cleaning and still stick to the tub. I use hot water.

Then I discovered this comment by hidroman on March 4, 2010, in a post about a tablespoon of detergent: "be aware that if you don't use enough detergent your whites will turn grey within months and unwashed grease will make a buildup in the outer tub. The most common symptom are tiny clumps of "chewey" grease all spread on just washed laundry."

I also have the "chewey grease" clumps on top of the ledge that circles the tub on top. Exactly his/her description.

So, is it your (anyone, please) opinion that if I stopped using fab softener (I did), stopped using liquid detergent altogether, and only exclusively use stated amount of powder detergent and no less, and scoured/cleaned out the tub top and ledge, that I will not see any more build-up in my tub or on my agitator? I can't believe I have to switch back exclusively to powder detergent. Again. If I had never discovered this forum I would never have become obsessed with my damn laundry. My house isn't as clean as it should be, but I'm driven to have perfect laundry. What is wrong with this picture?

Do you have any comments about this? Do you think the grease on my tub and agitator is from dirty clothes or liquid detergent or fab softener or all of the above?

Pat

Comments (18)