SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

For compumom: Flan d'arancia

Cloud Swift
15 years ago

Compumom, here is the flan that uses orange juice instead of dairy. The texture will be more like a dairy based flan if you use egg yolks rather than whole eggs.

I have made this once before and was very satisfied with the results. I used egg yolks and added the optional almonds. I used almonds with skins rather than blanched - there are enough types of nuts to stock that I normally only have the almonds with skins and I usually just use them that way. I don't understand why so many recipes want them blanched. The nuts float to the top during cooking so when you unmold they almost form a crust on the bottom - a pretty effect.

Flan d'arancia (orange custard)

From Sephardic Flavors by Joyce Goldstein

I paraphrased the instructions.

1 1/2 cups sugar, divided

2 tbsp water

1 cup blanched almonds (or non-blanched)

6 whole eggs or 8 egg yolks

1 cup fresh orange juice

grated zest of two oranges

Preheat oven to 350 F. The instructions say to use a 1 quart flan mold or 6 custard cups. I don't have a flan mold so I just used a pie plate and that worked fine.

Put a half cup sugar and the water in a sauce pan and melt over high heat. Don't stir. Cook until caramel color and fragrant. Pour the caramel into the flan mold, pie plate or custard cups, swirling to coat the bottom and sides.

Put the almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor and grind fine. (I use my mini-food processor - the instructions say to put the blade in upside down (so it spins blunt edge first) to grind nuts - the nuts grind nicely without getting oily that way.

Whisk the eggs or egg yolks with the rest of the sugar. Whisk in the orange juice and zest. Then whisk in the almonds.

Pour the mixture into the mold, custard cups or pie plate. Bake in a water bath (put the mold, cups or pie plate into a baking pan, fill with water half way up the sides of the mold, cups or plate and cover baking pan with aluminum foil).

Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. About 35-40 min for custard cups or 1 hour for a larger container. Remove from water bath.

After they have cooled a bit, cover and refrigerate until chilled.

To serve, run a knife around the edge and unmold onto a plate. The plate should have a rim to contain the caramel that flows off. The instructions say to spoon some of the caramel that flows onto the plate back on top of the flan - I don't understand why as it will just flow off again.

Comments (4)