SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monkeymamaof4

....as my father did......

monkeymamaof4
14 years ago

I thought with Father's day coming up I would post about what we learned about cooking and kitchen work from our fathers. Funny, both my dad and his dad were great cooks. Grandpa would make the best fudge, pies, and peanut butter cookies. When he would make scrambled eggs they were called Gandy eggs, don't know why, but would fry up some left over bacon, ham, potatoes, sausage, or onions and then pour the eggs over the top. What ever was left over was thrown in. My dad and I do the same thing.

Another thing I learned is about looking in the pantry and not being afraid to experiment with what is in there. Just throwing things together can work and I do that at the end of the month or when I haven't gotten out to the grocery. Also that you can make soup out of just about anything, clean out the fridge, look in the garden, look in the pantry. My dad is forever trying new soups and they are always different depending what is on hand. I also learned from my dad and grandpa how to make dumplings and homemade noodles. It only takes me 10 minutes to make(longer if Peyton and Hayden and Rhiannon are helping, and if Dan doesn't eat the dough) and they are so good. Also learned to make a big roast or chicken on Sunday and eat on the left overs through the week and throw the rest in the freezer. Ham means ham for one meal, ham sandwiches, ham and scalloped potatoes, ham and eggs, ham and beans with the ham bone, ham and pasta and the left over in the freezer. With 4 kids and staying at home I have to make money count and have to be inventive, which thank goodness I got from my dad and grandpa.

Stacie

gig

Comment (1)