SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polly929

Need legal advice, in regards to my late father's business. Help!

polly929
9 years ago

Long story. Please bear with me.

In 2010 my dad informed me he was buying a bar with a friend. I had a lot of reservations with this because he was retired, 64 years old, not a business man and I personally thought he had a drinking problem. We had a big disagreement about it, but my brother was getting married, and for family's sake, we agreed to disagree.

The bar opened in 10/2010. I did not attend the opening, as I did not approve of this business.

In late 2011, my father confided in me he felt he was conned. He fronted his business partner $40k to open the bar, obtain the liquor license and secure the rent for the business. At the time he didn't tell me details because he knew I'd say, I told you so.

In 1/2012 my grandfather fell ill at age 90. My dad cared for him and spent almost every day with him until he passed the end if April 2012. At this point in 1/2012 his business partner and him had a falling out, she would not share any details in regards to the business and her boyfriend threatened my dad that he'd break his legs if he came near her. My father meets with a detective and posts it to his Facebook.
Soon after my grandfather passed, my father learns his fathers bank account was wiped clean of 200k by my grandfathers trusted care taker. My father then puts the bar on the back burner and hires an attorney to sue the caretaker and press charges. This was in June 2012.
July 24th 2012, we cannot get in touch with my father. My uncle breaks into his house and we find him dead from an apparent heart attack. We are devastated.
My parents were divorced and my father did not have a will. I hire an attorney (expensive) and petition the surrogate court to appoint me administrator of my dads estate. In September 2012 I am granted administrator. But hurricane Sandy happens and devastates my fathers home, neighborhood and I don't hear from my attorney till late October. I am left with a huge mess cleaning up my dads house after a tree fell on it and took down the fence, roof and pool. He lived on the water and the neighborhood is destroyed.
In January 2013 my attorney attempts to contact his business partner. The business was incorporated with my dad owning 50% of the shares. His partner tells my attorney via telephone she bought out his shares for 25k before he died. She then does not respond to any further attempts to contact her. My attorney then requests another hefty retainer to fight her in court. I decline because I cannot find any proof in the paperwork in my dads house of his investment in the business and feel it may cost me more to fight her in court than his initial investment. My father died with $300 in his checking account, and had no liquid assets.

During the last 2 years, I found out the partner renewed the liquor license on the contingency she file for a corporate change. My fathers name was on the liquor license. She attempted to change it without my signature and was denied. I knew the license would expire in 10/2014. And I knew she needed my signature to renew, but since she declined to settle this back in 2012, I decided to just wait and see. My dad owned a home but had a hefty mortgage. During this time, I cleaned out the home, repaired it to the best of my ability and sold it. I split the measly profit with my 3 siblings and held back a little money in his estate account in case this issue of the bar ever came back.

Well today, I received a letter that his business partner wants me to sign over his shares or take over the debt the bar has accumulated since being in business. Her attorney says my father is liable for $150k of debt. I spoke with my attorney but they want another 8k retainer and will bill $400/hr to work on the case.

I am livid. I have now looked through my dads papers and have proof he withdrew 40k from his retirement account to start this business. He was pushed out soon after. So essentially she convinced him to go into business and he fronted the $ to start the business because she didn't have it but once the business was up and running she pushed him out and then he died. Then when I tried to settle it she lied to my attorney, avoided phone calls all while she continued on with the business and has lived off of it. All while I've seen no benefit from it. Now that she can't renew her liquor license, I receive a threatening letter that I owe $150k to the business? What?

So what I need to know is, am I liable for this debt? After selling my fathers home, my siblings and I each received 25k. Can she come after us as individuals for that money because the business is in debt? Shouldn't she have to buy out my fathers shares of the business in order to keep the business going? How is this legal? Please help!!

Comments (20)