SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

How did my father pull this off? (growing tomatoes in drought)

plantslayer
14 years ago

So over the summer my father was bragging to me about all the tomatoes he grew. Of course, he lives in semi-rural North Georgia and has a huge field he borrows from someone where he can plant all the plants he wants.

However, to give the old man his due, the last few years have been extremely dry in North Georgia, and while it improved a bit this past summer, it was still pretty dry. On top of this, the well near the field he was using broke down, so he grew all these plants with NO IRRIGATION all summer. From what I understand, they probably had some hose watering early on in their existence, then he simply did not water them for like three months or something, and cast their fate with nature. I am sure there was rain and dew every now and then, but still...

So, I didn't see the tomatoes, but I know what the garden is like. It has red, fairly sandy/clayey soil. There is likely a great deal of space (many feet) between plants. My dad thinks that he was able to grow them without irrigation because he planted the tomatoes very deep up the stems when he set them out. I suppose that makes sense, but that can't account for everything.

So how do you suppose this was possible? Soil drainage? Lots of space? The fact that he was growing hybrid (I think it was better boy or sth)? The deep planting? I am tempted to think he was exaggerating, but my mother corroborates, and she told me they sold a lot of these at the local flea market and made back the cost of the plants and so on, so they must have had a good harvest. Has anyone else grown tomatoes with 0 irrigation?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction