SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scooboo

My First Time Growing Tomatoes. Are They Spent or Diseased?

scooboo
9 years ago

Hello: (sorry this is so long for my first post)

This is my first season growing tomatoes and peppers. I am not sure if my tomatoes are spent or diseased. I know of some people in my zone that have already pulled their plants for the season.

I am using 5 gal buckets and 4 were purchased from an independent nursery, 2 from Home Depot (Bonnie). The 4 were transplanted at the beginning of April, the 2 were transplanted mid-April.

The Lemon Boy was a Bonnie that looked very healthy and well fertilized when transplanted. Of the slicing tomatoes it set fruit first and ripened first. It had very good production and the fruit looked and tasted good, but it yellowed very quickly and died about 4+ weeks ago.

The Mortgage Lifter was a is a Bonnie. Good production and still has a good amount of fruit on the vine but it is starting to yellow and dry up within the past week.

I have a cherry tomato variety that I believe was mis-marked as a Sweet 100 but I think I identified it as a Tumbling Tom. Very good production over the season, but it yellowed and is nearly dead within the past 2 weeks.

The Better Boy, Brandywine, and Yellow Pear still look okay. I also have a Sun Gold and another Better Boy in another location (same zone) that are still looking good.

After the first month they were all fertilized with Miracle Grow once a week. I have battled aphids for most of the season and white flies only for the past week or so. I used a homemade insecticidal soap (water, alcohol, and Ivory soap) for them as needed.

I also planted some peppers and once I figured out what was eating them (Asiatic Garden Beetles) they are starting to make a comeback. I will get some production from a Poblano, Jalapeno, and 1 of 3 bell pepper varieties (2 may not produce anything.)

Also I have cuttings from the Tumbling Tom and Better Boy that I will transplant this week. Will I be able to get a harvest from these cuttings?

I have pics of all, but didn't know if I could post more than one pic per post.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (27)