SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emileeg

One tomato plant not growing - how to fix?

emileeg
9 years ago

Hey y'all,

I have three tomato plants in a raised garden bed - one is a Celebrity, one is a grafted San Marzano, and one is (I think) a Sweet 100. Soil is Miracle Gro garden soil. The beds are mulched with straw. I don't think the location is ideal because it gets shade in late afternoon, but it still gets a good 6 to maybe 7 or 8 hours of bright morning sun.

We had kind of a slight cold snap about a month ago where the temps got down in the low 40's two nights in a row. The plants had been in ground for maybe a week when that happened. We definitely had some damage from that, and I think the plants' growth was stunted due to the cold, but only two have recovered. The Celebrity and San Marzano are now growing beautifully and I've pruned off the damaged portions of those plants.

The Sweet 100 doesn't seen to have recovered and doesn't seem to be growing. At all. It looks basically the way it did when I bought it. I don't see any damage (the San Marzano had several leaves that were clearly damaged and died from the cold) or any funky coloring - it's bright green, upright, not wilting, no damage... but not growing either!

My husband did get a little overzealous with the watering, and then we had some rain storms a week or so again, but... If the other two are fine, recovering, and growing, shouldn't this one be showing at least a little growth too? I gave my husband a slap on the wrist and told him to leave the watering to me.

Any recommendations or suggestions on what I can do to get this little plant growing again?

Thanks y'all!

Comments (5)