SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ragtimegal

Fix existing tomato bed soil and how to make new bed better?

ragtimegal
14 years ago

Hi,

I posted this in the tomato forum but thought it might be good to post here as well. I have a question about amending the soil for in-ground plants, but first will give you a little background..

I have several tomato plants in containers. 15 gallon containers, one plant in each one, growing in a 5:1:1 ratio of pine bark fines, perlite, and peat moss. They are very happy!!

On the contrary, I have four plants that I planted in the ground. Bed was my own garden soil amended with bagged compost and MG Potting Soil. The bed is covered with a layer of bark mulch. Those plants are not performing well. I planted them out 1 week before the container plants, and the container plants are growing and happy, and the in-ground plants seem to be stagnant, just now showing a little bit of new growth on the top. There are a few worms in the soil now, (there were next to none when I started) though I am thinking that I should have used more organic matter to start with.

I would like to plant more in the ground, though I am concerned about the difference in performance that I am seeing.

Can anyone recommend the best soil prep to get happy tomato (and other veggie) plants grown in the ground? Also, if there is anything I can add or side dress to the existing bed, I am willing to do that.

To give you the details of my other in-ground beds, there are 2. Both have no plants yet. One is prepared in the same manner as above...MG Potting Soil with bagged compost. The other bed I have yet to prepare, so I can start from scratch with that one and am thinking of making it a raised bed. (I could even prepare this one for fall planting instead of planting now)

I realize this is now a 3 part question, and advice on any component would be great!

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths