SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

JessyF bought another FL washer yesterday.....

jessyf
15 years ago

Five years after buying the Danby, almost to the day, I bought a second machine for my laundry room. The extended warranty on the Danby is almost out and it had just developed another leaking hose - whew! Luckily the machines are still available, not for too much more $$ than my original $400, and I would buy another in a heart beat, with the extended warranty for sure.

I bought the Bosch 800 with AquaStop.

I really wanted a bigger Danby. That little workhorse can go up to 200 degrees, I can set the temp and spin for any temp/speed combo I want, and it maintains the temp at all cycles. Profile wash. Straight drum. What else could a laundryholic want - well a bit more capacity than 1.7 cf, a delay start, and a more robust machine.

I wanted a front loader, not an HE top loader, because Im comfortable with those machines. I eliminated the Whirlpool Duets because they didn't maintain the temps (even though my friend SWEARS her finished load is still warm). I crossed off the LGs because I didnÂt like how the company handled the early years of problems. My kids are older and arenÂt into sports or diapers so I didnÂt need the Samsung silver care, and my floor is tile/concrete so the VRT wasnÂt necessary either. The new Electroluxes are just that  new and $$$. Give Âem a few years to develop a track record. I ALMOST bought a Frigidare Affinity 8000 until someone shook me to my senses. I had also looked at the Maytag Epic Z/Duet Sport because they had a heater and were straight drum  suburbanmd reminded me that temps were more important than drum position. So off the list those went after I found out the numbers and (lack of) heater operation. The only other machine in my target was the Miele 4800 and IÂm waiting for suburbanmd and others to weigh in on them in a year or so.

So that left the Bosch Nexxt series, 500 or 800 in their different permutations. The 300s donÂt have heaters, for incoming laundry researchers who arenÂt clear on the models. I may have missed some other manufacturers/machines? Lemme know.

I would have been happy with one of the 500s, but you all know how it goes. Suddenly, you HAVE to have the Âcomforter cyle. You CANNOT do without a rinse/spin. DH made me choose the badder one. What can I say  it helps him justify his own toy purchases, LOL.

I bought the machine yesterday. They didnÂt have the 8" pedestals in stock and I didnÂt want to wait a week and a half so I bailed on those. Besides, my eyesight is getting really fuzzy and I donÂt want to keep a set of reading glasses by my machine. The height is just fine as is, IÂm short 5Â2" and reaching down to the Bosch drum is no problem.

The machine is solid, runs GREAT. No spin problems especially when I loaded it up with jeans. DH wanted me to run his grimy sneakers through itÂ. I DONÂT THINK SOÂ.

Scroll down to the very bottom page of the User Manual - youÂre going to see an awesome chart that shows all the cyles - temps and times. Hey I can get five more degrees if I switch to perm press! Neener neener!

There is only one thing that has horrified me. Had I known before I would have gone straight to the Miele. I didnÂt catch that this was a problem, and really, after three loads, I think it isnÂt. Trust me, I did a smell test on my kids clothing to ensure that the clothes are as clean as they are coming out of the long running Danby. Yes, THAT kind of smell test. IÂm a brave forum member and donÂt you forget that.

This is what got me POed and the jury is still out to see if my first observation is true - the Regular/cotton warm cycle is only one hour. I didnÂt realize that meant only 15 minutes of wash time. Yes, 15 minutes. Same as a good old style TL, right? But the clothes are clean. The proof will come with more heavily soiled stuff, and I can tweak the machine by adding a soak or upping the temp to Kids Care or Sanitize. DH suggested that maybe the machine adjusted the time for soil level  nope, the time window states when the unit would finish BEFORE I hit ÂstartÂ.

But my clothes are clean and not tangled! And it sure does purr along, solid as a rock. For the record IÂm alternating between Cheer HE and Charlies, both with STPP, and a smidgen of Downy with DWV.

Whew. IÂm tired. One more load to do tomorrow - whites!

Please wish me luck. I know this hasnÂt been the most trouble free model out there. I did buy an extended warranty, so IÂll be in good shape.

Joe, you are still on for finding me decalsÂ.

Comments (14)