SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Best detergent for our new FL washer?

tvq1
8 years ago

After MUCH consideration we ordered our new washer and dryer yesterday--front load LG4270. They should be delivered and installed in a couple of weeks.

Now--what detergent should I used? The salesman suggested I stay away from the pod types, as the covering sometimes "gunks" up the machine. His suggestion was a liquid HE detergent--but he wasn't brand specific.

I've been making my own liquid detergent for about 3 years, and we have been very happy with it. Just 3 ingredients: grated Fels Naptha soap, washing soda and borax. My husband is sensitive to scents, so this detergent has been great in that regard. I usually add a scoop Oxyclean to each load of whites. Each salesperson we have asked has said we could use it in our new machine with no problems.

While I'm not hung up on continuing to use the home made detergent, I really like the savings--for about $15 I have over a 3 year supply of laundry soap! I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either, so I'm open to buying detergent if that would be safer for our new machine.

Advice? Recommendations?

Thanks,

tvq1

Comments (63)

• izeve
    8 years ago

If you are concerned about cost, then I agree with the Sears powder detergent recommendation. Excellent washing ability and rinses well. The only issue I had with it was fading of darks. So I would not recommend it for dark loads.

I have used a variety of powder and liquid detergents in my front loader and some are definitely better than others. My favorites are European Persil powders (expensive but wonderful), Tide with Bleach (powder), Vaska (liquid). I also like Clorox Green Works and Method liquids (both come in the Free & Clear variety that would be suitable for sensitive skin). I do not like Tide liquid (can't stand the smell of the scented ones and the Free & Clear doesn't rinse well). I also do not like Walmart Persil!

My front loader is squeeky clean with no smells or mold. I run a hot or sanitary load at least once a week (towels and sheets). Also don't overdose on the detergent or, even more importantly, fabric softener.

tvq1 thanked izeve
  • mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Tvq...don't use cold water..there you go Jess sending me into heart palpatations again lol..lol..

Actually Tvq...I prefer to use detergent the way Europeans do, one for whites and one for colors. I think Europe figured this out a long time ago, that not one detergent does it all.Americia will never go for this. Americans want one detergent that does it all, keeps colors bright and whites white. There's not a one size fits all when it comes to laundry, unless your prepaired to use additives and boosters. If you can tell us about your water quality we can help you better to choose a detergent. Do you have hard or soft water? If you don't know you can call your water supply office and ank they should be able to tell you.

tvq1 thanked mamapinky0
  • Related Discussions

New and Upcoming: GE Profile 'SmartDispense' FL washer and dryer

Q

Comments (5)
    I did a brief write-up on these machines on my blog. I sent an email to GE with a few questions, but didn't really get all that much of a resposne. They did confirm that the problem they had with the boot tearing has been resolved. The SmartDispense system is entirely optional, and you must have the pedestals to use the system. However, just because you purchase the pedstals does not mean you have to use the SmartDispense system. There is a drawer on the machine above the control panel if you choose not to use the automatic dispenser. Yes, the components do need to be disassembled and cleaned periodically. GE did not specify how often, although I would think it would have to be twice a year, at the least. Doing this would not require pulling out the machines as the tubs for the additives are stored in the drawer, which can be removed. I have noticed some online retailers are selling these, although they may just be taking advance orders. GE was not able to tell me when they would be widely available. Here is a link that might be useful: New GE Profile frontloaders
    ...See More

Detergent with FL washer Tide Persil Dosage etc?

Q

Comments (6)
    Jmith, "So Tide liquid states 1,2,3 depending on load sizes so you are saying I should always use up to level 1 or less?" If you're doing a small load, #1 would be best not lower. Using less will not suspend oil and dirt to be flushed down the drain but ends up on the outer tub and gasket allowing mold to grow! Not only that, soils in the water will redeposit on clothing making items look dingy, dull or gray. "What you are suggesting is start low and check for slippery water during wash?" Yes! Always adjust detergent usage according to load size. You do not have to do this with every load. By your 4th - 6th load, you will know the balance of clothing to detergent ratio without re-washing! As for dosage for Persil? I have no clue because I've never ordered or used this detergent. Tip: If you are using Normal Soil Level and need to add more detergent do so after 5 Min's.. Pause machine and add detergent through the door and change Soil Level to Heavy to add more wash time. Here is a link that I've posted back in 2009 for proper suds level. Here is a link that might be useful: Suds Level
    ...See More

LG FL Washer and Detergent

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't have a front loader but many people here just put the oxiclean in the tub with the clothes or mix it with powdered detergent. I take it you've decided to go with liquid? Either way, I'd start with much less and see how it works. Be sure to watch for sudsing. Even with my top loader I normally use much less than the recommended amounts. They like you to use more so you buy more. The amount you truly need will vary from place to place, water hardness, water chemistry, amount of clothes, how dirty the clothes are, they type of clothes and many more variables. Enjoy your new machine!
    ...See More

Best FL washer/dryer for 2nd floor laundry room

Q

Comments (3)
    I am also curious about this. CR recently reviewed antivibration pads and a new anti-vibration unit that the whole washer sits on. We currently have a top loader on second floor on shake-away pads, and it still shakes the floor more than we would like. CR's most recent tests rate so many washers as excellent on vibration that it is not helpful. Has anyone found real vibration tests for recent (new) models?? The pad that CR likes is only for front-loaders, so we are looking at the following, either: 1. THe best (least vibration) front loader and the anti-shake pad (steadywash I think), or, 2. The least vibration top loader (don't care if it's top or front as we hang all of our clothes, but our current top loader uses way too much water, as evidenced by our water bill increase after we got it - so would prefer something that uses less water) CR mentioned Samsung WF520AB[P] when they tested the pads. Thoughts? Thanks!!!
    ...See More
  • georgect
    8 years ago

I think I switched to having at least two types of detergents a few years ago (one for colors and one for whites).

Before I switched to having different formulas, I did notice faster fading of my black khakis and dress shirts and it was this site (garden web) or AutomaticWasher.org that pointed me in the direction of dedicated detergents.

I thought it was crazy talk...but I learned there is something to having two different types of detergents for whites/lights and dark/blacks.

The "European" way of laundry care works best (IMHO).

tvq1 thanked georgect
  • tvq1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Our water in this area is very hard--but we have a water softener. So I guess we have soft water??

I don't mind using two different detergents if that's best. I NEVER use a liquid fabric softener, and if I use a sheet softener I only use 1/3 of a sheet, and that works just fine to take care of static issues. I might try the vinegar approach, if that will take care of the static issue.

On the cold water vs hot water issue: I use hot water for whites and warm for all other loads. I have been using a warm rinse, as my current machine doesn't have a hot/hot option.

I confess to feeling a little resentment with our "government" interfering with my laundry!! I want hot/hot when I want it, and I want plenty of water when I want it! Aarrgghh!

That said--we are really very careful with our water consumption, and are generally very "green" in our everyday living--we recycle like crazy, compost and repair/donate rather than throw it away.

Thanks again for the advice and recommendations--I really appreciate this forum.

(and sorry for the rant!)

TVQ

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

tvq --- either or. Not both and never together. Like others, I use the Euro Persil Perls for all white and find it best overall. But I also like the Perwoll Black Magic (another Euro brand). I was using diluted Mrs. Meyers fabric softener only for towels but I'm trying to discontinue that as it leaves a coating in the dispenser and I don't want that in my machine. I also tried Vernel Euro) which doesn't leave the coating but I don't like the fragrance.

Currently, I am trying to eliminate all fabric softener. I would never use a dryer sheet as I cannot stand the smell of those either and the are no different than fabric softener IMO.

We also have a whole house water softener as we have extremely hard well water otherwise. That absolutely requires the most minimal detergent use so it turns out to be very economical even when you buy the expensive Euro brands. I get double or triple the number of loads with the 1/2 tb or scant Tb for large loads.

But some of that depends on your water and size of loads. Start with very little and adjust as you go. I'm also very careful as we are on a septic system.

Some swear by vinegar. In theory it should be great but I haven't found vinegar to do much in laundry except sort of clear the gunk out of the softener slot. But not completely.

One example of water variation: Izeve uses Vaska liquid. I bought it, used it once and had to give it away because even 1/2 tb made a crazy amount of suds. They also make tabs which work better but I can't use a whole one of those either (those are easy to break).

Many of us here and hot and warm water washers. If your washer doesn't have a heater and a profile wash (cold prewash+ hot wash) as an auto setting, you could double up with a cold short prewash (no detergent) on some setting followed by the hot wash with detergent. My clothes get so clean from that.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Tuq, your welcome..well that being said I can recommend from personal experience Tide with Bleach powder for whites and light pastel colors, it has enzymes to eat away stains and oxygen bleach to whiten. For colors I highly recommend Cheer powder, its just an all around good detergent for colors.here's a few other top contenders in my opinion.

Euro persil for whites

Euro persil mega color perls for darks

Wisk deep clean

Tide pods- loaded with enzymes

Persil proclean 2 in 1 liquid- also loaded with enzymes ( smell before you buy)

Biokleen premium plus- for whites and lights.

This is just a few that I personally have great results with. Remember be careful with dosing expecially a FL'er and soft water.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

EXCELLENT advice so far! I switched to a front load machine in 1995. My advice works for me and the few times I've ever needed servicing on any brand machine I've owned..the Tech said the machine is brand new inside and out!!

HOT water washes as much as you can. Honestly, even when the item says cold or warm...I use HOT water!

POWDER detergents!

WIPE the door seal down when you are done with wash for the day...the part you can see, and run a thin towel on the part where your finger is between the metal drum and the rubber seal.

RINSE the detergent tray and Fabric Softener dispenser with hot water when done with wash for the day.

LEAVE the detergent tray out of the machine when not in use.

LEAVE the washer door ajar or fully open when not in use.

MONTHLY do a clean machine or Clean tub cycle. I love Tide Washing Machine Cleaner, but you can use liquid chlorine bleach or even Lemi Shine packets or Cascade powder dishwasher detergent.

You'll have no problems if you follow these easy steps. Honestly wiping the door seal, and cleaning the detergent tray takes seconds, and it will become second nature!!! Congrats on your new machine!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

If your husband has sensitivity issues, try Cheer powder. It does have a scent but not loud. This way it will do a great job with keeping color in your clothes plus you can use it in whites also. Tide with bleach HE powder great for whites, but some folks can't use Tide. If those do not work try the All Free Clear--the powder version has enzymes so cleans better, and then there is the liquid version and also one with Oxi. I would stay away from liquid as much as I could and use powder. Google Appliance Doctor,then click on the one in Wisconsin and go to video. Tech there will tell you all about mold(shows a pic) and the causes and how to deal with it. Also tells you how to keep from getting it so this is why I am telling you this. If you try and don't find it, let me know. I am going by memory and its been a while since I looked up the video.

• aa62579
    8 years ago

I saw that they just recently released Cheer Powder that was HE. Any problems finding it locally?

• izeve
    8 years ago

This discussion reminded me that I really liked Cheer Powder when I used it in the past. I have to look for it.

• recordaras
    8 years ago

@aa62579, I've only seen the HE Cheer at Walmart, my Target seems to only have the regular version.

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

I am fairly certain Walmart (ughhhh) has an exclusive on Cheer "he" powder as well as Tide with Bleach "he" powder!! Reasons why I rarely purchase these two powders, even though they work quite well!!

• sparky823
    8 years ago

I know Wal Mart has it in HE now but I used the powder a long time in the regular version because it was all they made. It did fine in a F/L machine because it was low sudsing. Best thing I have ever used for keeping colors from fading but has to be the powder. Maybe Target's turnover of Cheer just hasn't gotten to the HE yet since now there is just the one formula in powder.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Larsi-you know the Cheer now is "For all machines, regular and HE" so I figure as stores restock it will be in all of them. My WMart just carries the 80 load size but think Target has the 120 load. It's not 2 different versions. The first Cheer HE powder I ever got/used was from Sams. That has been several years ago. I called Cheer and asked why it wasnt in WM or grocery stores and they said it was just a "test" they were doing to see how well it would sell and when that was gone there wouldn't be anymore for a while if at all depending on how it went. Sure enough, when that sold out they just had reg Cheer after that. Now they only have the liquid if any Cheer at all.(at Sams) Haven't seen any powder HE Cheer until now when this new has hit the shelves. (since the Sams Cheer)

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Only cheer I can find is 80 load boxes he for both...last winter when I picked up a bad box of 120 load box of cheer and had to call about it they said they would send coupons for 2 boxes of 80 load** for both**because 120 load size was gone and it would also only be he * For Both* I love the old fashioned scent of Cheer and it works great also

• asko_buyer
    8 years ago

I used to use Persil MegaPerls and Persil Color MegaPerls, with good results. Persil has become unavailable in my area. I am now using Miele UltraWhite and UltraColor, which seems to be as good as the Persil products. I have also used a product called ecoVantage, with good results. My skin often develops a rash if I use Ultra Tide He powder. This has never been a problem with the Persil, Miele, or ecoVantage detergents.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pink-Havent been in Target in a while--it is farther from me. I know they did have it online Target. I will have to look.(120) May be dropped now

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

I love the way Cheer leaves a fresh, clean smell, especially on my sheets.

Does the he"for both" suds less than the regular powder? I have 3 80load boxes, but am willing to get the 'for both'. Can always donate the other ones I have.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Its been so many years since I've used regular Cheer, I can't compare them. The Cheer For Both will suds a bit if your not careful with dosing, but the rinse is always clear for me. Do you remember the old cheer with bluing?

• beaglenc
    8 years ago

You mean the "blue cheer"? Barely, don't remember if I used it.

• georgect
    8 years ago

Hey...what did happen to the blue box/jug of Cheer?

Is it gone because I only see the black bottle when I'm in the detergent aisle.

It kind of lost its charm without the red, green, yellow splashes/waves.

Now you hardly notice it on the shelves.

Maybe I'll try it (again) after my Tide ColorGuard.

• sparky823
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Beagle: Keep what you have and use it. I figure the new is the old just a new label because the regular Cheer wasnt a high sudser before.

George: Where have you been LOL? It has been in the dark box/bottle for several years now. The liquid has the brighteners in it where the powder does not making the powder best for colors.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Sparky I thought powdered Cheer now had OB's, ?

• georgect
    8 years ago

I thought OB's are a no no for colors/blacks?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

OB's are a no no for darks, but I was thinking it was in Cheer, I will have to check..cute baby lol

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Not in powder, just liquid unless a change has been made.

• aa62579
    8 years ago

I picked up some of the Cheer powder (and it said for Both). You can see here the directions on the box: https://cranraspberryblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/cheer-powder-laundry-detergent-now-he-compatible/

I had in my mind that the HE does would be smaller than the non-HE dose. But it has medium as line 1 (smallest), large as line 3, and HE full as line 5 (largest dose). What would I use for a normal load in a HE machine?

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Aa I would start with the lowest amount and adjust from there. I've seen that before on detergents..telling HE users to use the max amount, I never understood that. Seems they have it dessa backwards.

• georgect
    8 years ago

Eventually I'll have to try this powdered Cheer!

• vetwife1998
    8 years ago

Cheer Powder and Cheer Liquid are my staples. I've used and 'loved' lots over the years, but these two are what I always have on hand.

BTW, I have fairly "hard" water where I live, so not much problem with suds. An extra rinse usually takes care of any suds I have, anyway

• aa62579
    8 years ago

Home sick (allergies) so doing a load. Used the cheer powder for both. Used the smaller amount (line 1). Paused cycle and looked in after about 15 minutes. Suds looked good. Can't imagine using the amount listed on the box for he (line 5).

• larsi_gw
    8 years ago

I really like the way Cheer powder smells and works, but even with the smallest dose, I kept getting crazy suds during the wash and rinses! I gave it to a neighbor lady, who has an older top loader...she loves it. Maybe when I am done with my Miele Color powder, I will buy Cheer powder again...if I don't just give in and re-buy Miele!!

• aa62579
    8 years ago

I checked the first rinse with this second load. No suds that I could see. Checked all my blacks after washing and drying - no white residue anywhere like I got using the persil Pearls.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    8 years ago

sparky, sparky, sparky823, just want to thank you BUNCHES for the tip about Googling Appliance Doctor in Wisconsin for his video about the mold, back on September 1. I forgot how much I loved once Cheer powder, so after "Super Cleaning" my top loader with Cascade Complete, I'll go back to Cheer powder for good. Silly me. Thank you, thank you.

Also, hello MamaP. I've been busy on some other forums but will be back here soon. I miss your words.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I miss you to Pat, and am hoping all is well.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

Pat:So glad the video was helpful. Glad you are doing well and rediscovered Cheer.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

I love Cheer! It's my favorite for everything except whites and cleaning/kitchen rags, on which I pull out the big guns (Persil + Tide Boost + STPP). I think Cheer has the best scent of any currently available detergent and unless you have ultra-soft water, doesn't suds much at all.

I've committed to trying a "spiked" Cheer with STPP but haven't yet had a colors load that merits it.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Alex, glad you like Cheer, I also really like it. I use the powder as its OB free where the Cheer liquid does have OB's. Did you ever spike your Cheer with oxygen bleach and STPP for whites and kitchen rags? I have a feeling it would work great as long as the water was above 120. But than again I like to play around when I should stick to what I know works, but what fun is that LOL.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Cheryl, I've never done that but I agree that it would probably work well -- though I don't know what the enzyme profile is of Cheer. The only reservation I have is that I know Cheer will suds if I use too much and I worry that adding STPP will cause it to suds, also. I can overdose Persil like crazy and it will never suds. It's one of the many reasons I really like the Universal Powder.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Alex, ya I think Cheer only has 1 enzyme, Protease.

• wildchild2x2
    8 years ago

I prefer Sears powder. Even the scented ones don't bother me like most because they are much lighter than the big name brands.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Have never tried it. I have read conflicting comments about it being a bit harsh on fabrics (i.e. fading) so I've never bought a tub. Would be interested in sampling it, though. Seems to be a good detergent and clean-rinsing.

• sparky823
    8 years ago

And for some reason, the clothes seem to spin drier with the Sears detergent than others. Makes no sense but it is noticeable to me.

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

I Have a boat load of Sears detergent. Its a very good detergent, and boosted with STPP borders on excellent. I often use the Sears along with a liquid detergent and stpp. Sin once posted a recipe: Sears powder, Wisk, STPP, &Sodium Percarbonate...I've used this on sheets from the 70's that I picked up on the cheap, but loaded in waxy build up..results were impressive. Sudsing is a non issue with Sears (take a lesson P&G) and scent is barely noticable other than a slight whiff of citrus in the box...after washing the only scent left is clean. I have the green ...orange...blue with oxi..pink with fabric softener...they all have enzymes, but can't remember which or how many...I think there are 3 enzymes in them..this would be a good detergent for those that battle sudsing or prefer softer and lighter scents.

Alex...I have some boxes to get in the mail to a few here that's long overdue, as soon as I get those out, I will send you some of the different Sears detergents, along with one of the little scoops that came with them.

• Alex Chicago
    8 years ago

Thank you; that's awfully nice of you, Cheryl. I also owe you some Persil Universal Powder. I still have some in its original format that I haven't doped :) We can exchange addresses via FB or I'm sure Larsi can give us each other's e-mail address. xoxo

• mamapinky0
    8 years ago

Alex..yes I'll send you my email via facebook later today..

• evegiven0
    last year

Thread resurrection! This is all so helpful...but a lot can change in 7 years! I would so appreciate any input from you detergent experts on whether or not the formulas discussed here have changed and whether you still recommend them! Based on this I would probably start out trying tide with bleach powder and cheer powder (although should the only one enzyme thing worry me?). Thank you!!

• SEA SEA
    last year

Tide with Bleach powder is very good. Just be sure to not use it with dark fabrics. It *will* fade them, if not immediately, over time it will. Lights and whites is where it shines. The extra oxygen bleach with an activator gets your whites very white over time. Also keeps your washer cleaned out. Regular Tide powder is a good one too.

Cheer powder is good. It's not your workhorse detergent for grungy types of laundry, but for regular laundry that happens to be on the darker side, it's good. I like it. The scent is not for everyone though. Some enjoy the scent, others, not so much. Doing a pre-wash first would be helpful at times to remove funk and body odor if that is a concern.

I use liquid detergent too, but I lean on powders to keep laundry and washing machine free of odors and anything unpleasant that might be setting up shop inside.

We use Borax often in pre-wash soaks with detergent. It really helps remove body oils and odors.

Hope that helps!

• evegiven0
    last year

@SEA SEA Thank you so much! it sounds like Tide with Bleach powder is an easy answer for whites and lights. We do get plenty of grungy darks over here, however, with a boy, a baby, chickens, yardwork, etc :) What is a good workhorse powder for darks? Or is Cheer the best just requiring a prewash for extra soiled items? Sure would love to have a clear winner for darks like the Tide w/bleach is for whites!

• SEA SEA
    last year

evegiven0,

Darks are hard if one wants to keep them dark and remove grunginess. We just haven't come up with a perfect solution yet. Cheer only has the one enzyme as you've mentioned and a tiny bit of oxygen bleach--not enough to clean, just enough to denute chlorine in the water, so I tend to do the pre-wash, which usually cleans well. But when it's going to be *really* grungy laundry, I'll do things a little different.

I'll use Tide liquid with Clorox 2 powder in a pre-wash with lengthy soak. Pre-mix in warm water for the Clorox 2 powder though, as it does have oxygen bleach and while it says it's safe for colors, it has left a splotch on colors for me in the past. But, this formula is my ace in the hole. Between the two products, the pre-wash and soak, then a main wash, I have had every grungy item come out spotless and odorless, minus an occassional faded spot--yes, darks can be a challenge at times. So if it's filthy darks that you wouldn't mind of if a splotch did happen, this works over here. I probably would omit the Clorox 2 powder if this was cherished darks. I haven't had much success with liquid Clorox 2. Some people really like it, but here, it doesn't give me reason to add it to my laundry loads. YMMV

Other than that, regular Tide powder is very good. Use a warm/hot enough cycle, add some time to the cycle if possible, add a pre-wash if available. I really like Tide powder. The scent has been eye crossing lately--hoping that gets sorted out soon. In the meantime, I switched over to 'Mountain Spring' scent for these loads. But this too can fade precious darks over time, so we kind of have to make a decision: fading or clean.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH