SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schutzhund_gw

LG WM0642H FL Washer Water Level & Suds

schutzhund
15 years ago

Brand new to FL machines. I have spent quite some time here reading and reading and reading. My new washer, which was rated so well by CR and in all the reviews I read, was just delivered yesterday. So here are my questions and concerns:

Model: LG WM0642H

Soap: Ariel OxyAqua with phosphates

Amount: 1 tbs in pre wash, 2 tbs in main wash

No FS

1. Prior soap. My second load of just whites has been, well, an experience! I have run 3 full 3 hour each cycles of the Sanitary cycle with extra rinse, stain cycle, and pre wash options chosen with only having the above soap quantity to the very first 3 hour cycle. I have also run over 12, yep, a dozen, rinse and spin cycles. I have been manually adding more water to each of these cycles since after the first full run. I will cover this below. My issue is the amount of suds in the rinse water. It's still not clear, but it is a far cry better. Oh, and I have also been using about a cup of vinegar about half the time to try to cut the suds. I have also started adding about 96 oz of water via the dispensers during the rinse cycles, and this has helped both in creating far more suds (I know suds are bad) and theoretically a better rinse.

I understand that having used a TL in the past with these whites that they are probably laden with soap and that all that soap needs rinsing. But my goodness, there has got to be a faster and better way than this. 24 hours later, and I am still working on just one load! I cannot fathom having to do this for all the clothes.

2. Water level. Yep, the age old question. This reference load of whites had so very little water in the wash cycle - about 2-3 cups in the actual drum that was above the perforations and which would come in contact with the clothes. This was no "pool of water", but more like a "wading pond for toe dipping." I understand that washing needs several factors to do a good job, and one of them is the clothes landing in the pool of water to help separate the dirt from the fibers. In my white's case, the clothes were just smacking on top of the SS drum and never in any pool of water when they fell.

Now, the manual says, "The washer automatically adjusts the water level for the type and size of wash load for best results and maximum efficiency. It may seem there is no water inside the drum in some cycles, but this is normal."

3. The normal rinse water level is very, very much below the '1/2" below the bottom of the door edge' rule of thumb that I have seen elsewhere on this forum. Rather, it can be better measured by ounces exposed of roughly 40 exposed ounces. What have others experienced with this model?

4. Towel load. My actual first load was of our bath towels. I first ran a cycle, but with no soap. The rinse water (what absolute little of it that there was in the drum - maybe only a couple ounces) was clear. This was followed by an actual wash using 2 tbs in only the main wash dispenser section and 1 cup of vinegar in the FS section.

Being the first load, I wanted to see what it would do. I never once saw any bit of water in the drum. The towels had a glisten with micro bubbles on them during the wash cycle. In hindsight, after seeing the huge difference in the whites between when I added water and when I did not, I am wondering what would have happened to the towels if I added water. But I digress... Shouldn't there be at least some water in the drum during the wash???

5. My manual adding of water is done after it fills and while it is tumbling. Last night, it had water in it both from what it added and the 96 oz that I added. It decided to add more water (like it had done in the past). Normally this would have been just a couple cups of water at this wash point (56 minutes left on the 2h 59m cycle), but instead I watched it fill, and fill, and fill and fill. I watched in total awe as the water started going up the glass. When it was about a third of the way up the glass, I became concerned that even though there is a seal, the pressure and constant presence of the water might cause a leak. I was also surprised as I did not see that before in all the other cycles.

Then it happened - it threw error code FE and fortunately stopped filling. This code is "Water level is too high due to a faulty water valve. Close the water taps, unplug the washer, and call for service." Okay, it's 4am, and I am not calling anyone for service at that point. So I put it on pause, which cleared the error code, then released the pause. It then started draining down to the 1/2" below glass level and then began tumbling like nothing was wrong.

Is this a warning of things to come? Should I still call for service? Why did it have to go through all this just to raise the level to the 1/2" below the door level?

Conclusion:

I am having doubts on keeping this machine for the following reasons:

1. I had wanted to be able to manually adjust, or at least program a higher optional water level. This unit does not have an extra water option that I have found - not on the panel and not referenced in the manual.

2. When I bought it, I was under the impression that the ATC worked for more than just the Sanitize cycle. I have since found out that it is just for that cycle and nothing else. Since FL loose about 1 degree F per minute, and due to the lack of mass of water, this unit's hot water on normal cycles will really cool down during the 1 hour or more run time.

3. This is a 4.0 CF unit. I am wondering how big I should really have it to be able to wash the king size bedspread. The manual says, "The washer can be fully loaded, but the drum should not be tightly packed with items. The door of the washer should close easily." I understand that things "shrink" when they are wetted and they do not take as much space in the drum. What have others experienced?

===========

Sorry about my novelette, but I really want to understand this better and do not want to get stuck with yet another appliance that I need to manually add water to make it work (don't get me going on my dishwasher!). I really need help here!

Thanks!

Schutzhund

Comments (19)