SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
izeve

LG FL washer - what the heck is Baby Wear cycle?

izeve
13 years ago

I've been lurking here for a while, reading lots of fascinating posts and admiring all you hard core laundry addicts.

Anyway, I just got a new washer with an internal heater - LG WM2301. It's not very fancy (my budget limited my options) but it does heat up to Sanitary, has Water Plus and extra rinse options and is larger capacity than my Duet Sport but still fits in my limited laundry closet space. My Duet Sport left my laundry half clean, if you know what I mean, despite using only Warm and Hot washes. The towels would start smelling musty after a couple of years, the white kitchen towels are dingy.... This is my 4th FL in the last 14 years or so but my first with an internal heater.

So I've ran a few washes over the weekend to test the new washer and was generally pleased with the results. The owner manual for this washer leaves a lot to be desired though :-) The descriptions of the cycles are so cryptic and uninformative that I am starting to suspect it's some kind of elaborate conspiracy of manufacturers to befuddle the consumers. I cannot find any information on length of cycles, number of rinses or temperatures other than the cryptic Cold, Warm, Hot and Extra Hot. Even the Sanitary cycle temp is not specified!!! I've e-mailed LG to ask the temperature and rinses questions but am not hopeful...

In any event, does anyone have an LG washer and could share the info on:

- what temp is the pre-wash option? Is it the same no matter what the main cycle is, or does it use the same water temp as the main wash cycle selected?

- what does "Baby Wear" cycle do other than heat up to Extra Hot? Extended wash time? Extra rinses? Gentler tumbling?

- does the heater engage in any cycles other than Sanitary and Baby Wear (which is preset at Extra Hot)?

- do any cycles have extra rinses built in? My Duet Sport had an extra rinse on Whitest Whites but on other cycles I manually added a rinse.

Any other tips on taking full advantage of the options on this washer to get my laundry clean? I used to use Tide HE Free and Clear liquid for years but it left some gunk on my old washer so I've recently switched to Sears Ultra Plus HE detergent which I really like so far. I don't like the cloying scents of American detergents and the Sears detergent has almost no scent. I use small amounts of liquid fabric softener - Downy Free & Clear or Downy Pure Essentials Chamomile and Lemon Verbena which has sadly been discontinued ;-( by Downy. We're on city water which is fairly soft.

Thanks in advance for any answers and tips.

Comments (7)