SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

favorite homemade salad dressing?

vacuumfreak
15 years ago

The only dressing I like and have ever made from scratch was Ranch. I'd like to diversify my tastes a little and learn to like some lighter (less fattening) dressings as well.

I want to make some teriyaki chicken to use in a salad of lettuce, carrots, and cucumbers. What kind of dressing would compliment that? Any other favorites I should know about?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• shaun
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bobby I make this one, it's a sweeter dressing (real good on cucumbers) but you can always put less sugar or use Splenda.

1 cup Wesson oil
    1/2 cup red wine vinegar
    3 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp paprika
    salt/black pepper
    1/4 cup sugar or granulated splenda

Mix all and chill.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Bobby, I don't have a recipe, but both bottled dressings that we like have miso(soy) as a base. That way you have the thicker dressing, and way less fat. I'm off to work, I'll see if there's a recipe to post later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lower calorie salad dressings-Our favorite is the Caesar.

• Related Discussions

How long can I keep homemade salad dressing

Q

Comments (8)
    Why is your home made dressing different than bottled, exept it tastes better? do you see those bottles of "Italian" dressing with the bits of onion and pepper going bad after a month? Does olive oil go bad in a month? Vinegar? Mustard? or spices?...And when you suspend chopped garlic in vinegar....it will keep nigh on to forever. Garlic in oil with out any vinegar is in danger of growing botulism...but if you add vinegar or lemon, you have made it acedic enough to combat that. Linda C
    ...See More

My new favorite bottled salad dressing

Q

Comments (9)
    Nope, but I will. I love Caesar salad but, like you, I've never cared for the bottled stuff. Thanks for the heads up! Wanted to make a Caesar salad while my sister is here. Is it on the aisle with the salad dressings or in the produce department? Anybody find it at Publix or Winn-Dixie?
    ...See More

What is Your Favorite Salad Dressing?

Q

Comments (29)
    If I buy salad dressing it would be Renee's Chunky Blue Cheese or the packets of dried Ranch that I mix with mayo. 99 percent of the time I make my own. I love extra virgin olive oil and fresh lemon juice or I make a vinegrette with Dijon mustard, canola oil, red wine vinegar, garlic and a bit of honey. Anne
    ...See More

Homemade Salad Dressings

Q

Comments (20)
    Sorry I left out the 'S', ladies. That's what happens sometimes when you're old. I really was wishing I could can it in 8 oz. jars because there's just me and I'd like to have it ready made when I wanted it. No, grainlady, I wouldn't use a non-tested or approved recipe to can. I'm a certified food preserver and know better than that. I will check out that Strawberry Vinaigrette recipe and put some up if I lie it. Right now I'm not getting anything put up or put out. Too many other things going on. Had my faithful little 23 year old car in the shop yesterday for an estimate for repairs for the insurance company of the lady who hit me. Have a new freezer coming early next week so I'm cleaning out the old one and deciding what to do with it. John Deere called with the estimate for repairs on my tractor and hopefully I'll get it back next week. Throw in a couple of doctor appointments and a family reunion in Speedway the day before the 500 race, well things add up. Oh, and I have a smoke detector that is chirping up on the cathedral ceiling in the living room that is causing my dog to have a nervous breakdown. Can't get the garden planted because it still hasn't dried up and we have more storms coming in tonight. Maybe I should convert the garden into a rice paddy.
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    15 years ago

I have several favourites here are three of my very favourite.

The Pantry Shelfs Raspberry Vinaigrette

2 Tbl Raspberry Vinegar
    2 Tbsp Sugar
    1 Tsp Honeycup Mustard
    ½ Tsp salt
    ½ Cup vegetable oil

Mix first 4 ingredients in a food processor. With the blade still running gradually add oil. Store in the refrigerator.

Susan's Salad Dressing

2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
    2 Tbsp EVOO
    1/4 Cup Raspberry Vinaigrette(as posted above)
    2 TBSP Rice Wine Vinegar Or Red Wine Vinegar

use over mixed greens, arugula , diced red pepper, diced red onion, candied pecans, feta and toasted sesame seeds.

and my newest fav...........

Caesar Dressing From Cut

1 Egg yolk
    1 Tsp Capers
    1 Tsp Parsley
    4 Tsp Lemon juice
    3 Anchovies
    1 Tbl Parmesan cheese
    1/2 Tsp Garlic chopped
    20 Drop Worcestershire sauce
    3 Drops Tabasco sauce
    1 Tbl Dijon mustard
    300 milliliters Canola oil
    1 Tsp Balsamic vinegar
    Enough water to thin to desired consistency

Mix all ingredients in blender (except for oil, water and balsamic), mix for 1 minute.
    Add the oil slowly to obtain a creamy consistency.
    Add the balsamic vinegar. If needed, thin with water to the desired consistency.

Place baby romaine leaves on plate, top with crispy pork belly pieces or bacon, homemade garlic and herb croutons and roasted cherry tomato halves (optional) and shaves of grand padano or parmesan. Drizzel dressing over the salad.

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

This is my new favorite! I eat it on all types of veggies (BIG Thanks to Diana for posting it)!!!
    Even though it has a cup of oil in it, at least it's olive oil! And you don't need to use very much!

Checkout her blog too!

Balsamic Salad Dressing

1 cup olive oil (or parmesan infused olive oil)
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    6 tablespoons good quality grated parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    6 whole cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
    2 tablespoons ketchup (can use a little more to make it thicker)
    1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt
    Mix everything in a jar and shake. Enjoy !!!

Posted by Diana55 (cooking forum)
    Recipe from: blog - lex Culinaria

Deanna

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Hands down - my favorite (don't remember where I got it):

CREAMY BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE

2 cloves garlic, minced
    2/3 cup olive oil (use your favorite)
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp. Dijon mustard
    2 tsp. honey

Process all ingredients together in food processor or blender until thick and creamy; refrigerate. If desired, whirl again briefly before use.

NOTES: I make this dressing using my mini processor but you could easily use a regular processor or blender. Feel free to use more garlic, mustard or honey according to your taste.

Great on green salads, pasta salads, string beans, asparagus, tomatoes or whatever!

Yield: makes about 1 cup.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Here is my contribution...one of the only salads that I like to make and eat. Correction - the ONLY salad I like to make and eat (without the bacon). I'm too lazy when it comes to salads!

Spinach Salad with Chutney Dressing

Bon Appetite Magazine, by Sarah Tenaglia

¼ cup balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    3 Tbs mango chutney
    1 Tbs sugar
    1 large garlic clove, chopped
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/3 cup olive oil

½ pound bacon slices
    1 10 oz package fresh spinach leaves
    2 cans (11 oz each) mandarin oranges, drained
    10 ounces of thin sliced mushrooms
    1 ½ cups bean sprouts
    1 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts

For dressing: combine vinegar, mango chutney, sugar, chopped garlic and dry mustard in processor or blender and blend well. With machine running, gradually add oil in a thin steady stream and blend until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Can be prepared one day ahead cover and refrigerate, bring to room temperature before using.

For salad: cook bacon in heavy large skillet until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Crumble bacon. Place spinach, oranges, mushrooms, bean sprouts and water chestnuts in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and serve.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Here are a few:
    Green godess:
    2 cups mayonnaise
    4 anchovy fillets, minced
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon taragon vinegar
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
    Directions 1 Mix together mayonnaise, anchovy, green onion, parsley, chives, vinegar and tarragon. 2 Refrigerate until ready to serve and pour over favorite salad or greens. Makes 6 servings

Fran Lozano's zesty blue dressing
    4 oz Maytag blue cheese
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 tsp grated lemon peel
    juice of ½ a lemon
    1 cup sour cream
    1 clove minced garlic.
    Mash cheese with fork and mix in oil until creamy. add remaining
    ingredients.

Donns Delight
    4 oz Maytag blue crumbled
    1 cup of mayo ( I use Kraft)
    3 oz ( about 1/3 cup) milk or cream
    2 tsps sugar
    2 tsps dried parsley
    1 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice
    1 ½ Tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 Tablespoon fresh grated onion
    1 Tsp Lee and Perrins worchestershire
    1 tsp horseradish
    ½ tspoon garlic powder.
    Mix gently so as to leave some lumps, and serve over a green salad or on sliced tomatoes or cukes and onions or as a dip for raw veggies.
    Serves about 6 to 8

Basic vinaigrette
    1T dijon mustard
    1clove of garlic, crushed (or chopped very fine)
    1T honey
    1/3 cup cider vinegar
    Mix together, I use a wire wisk
    1/2 cup olive oil...whisk the oil in a slow stream, whisking all the while
    Then I like to add some dried or fresh herbs....most of the time I use oregano...I
    Dont' add salt because of the salt in the mustard, and I pepper it on the plate or in the
    bowl....like they do in a restaurant!!

Now, if you substitute catsup for the mustard and use brown sugar instead of the
    Honey, add a bit of cayenne and basil instead of the oregano, you have something
    Different. If you substitute mayonnaise for the mustard and white sugar for the honey
    and add some chopped chives or green onion tops...it's different still. Try doing the
    Mayonnaise thing and using walnut oil instead of olive oil....or substituting raspberry
    vinegar for the cider vinegar...or balsamic vinegar....or lemon juice....try adding some
    poppy seed or celery seed...for a fruit salad, leave out the garlic.
    The variations are endless....once you know the basics!

And then there's my famous "dump and toss"..
    Mix your greens in a wooden bowl which has been rubbed with a cut clove of garlic, drizzle a little OVOO over it all and toss until every leaf is coated, sprinkle very lightly with salt and av ery little bit of sugar (brings out the flavor)...keep tossing...add herbs and seasonings of choice....tarragon, oregano, basil, marjoram, cilantro...whatever floats your boat....keep tossing....finish up with a sprinkling of the vinegar of choice....taste a leaf....perhaps add more vinegar or salt or sugar....and pass the pepper grinder.
    This works best with 2 people, one tossing and the other adding stuff, it's hard to go wrong and makes you look like such a pro in the kitchen!

Linda C

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Mylatest favorite is a thrown together mixture of fat free yogurt, low fat sour cream, some dijon mustard, horseradish to taste and a bit of honey. You gotta like horseradish to eat it, though.

I think I'm going to swipe Jessica's spinach salad dressing recipe and use some of my kumquat chutney and see what I get.

Annie

• Lars
    15 years ago

Here's my Louis Salad Dressing recipe. It's best when made with homemade chili sauce, but if you use chili or enchilada sauce from a can, make sure that it does NOT contain tomatoes, as that will dilute the chili flavor.

Here's my vinaigrette recipe, which I make when I have fresh herbs in my garden. I make Roquefort frequently also, which is simply Roquefort cheese (or Bleu cheese, if cow's milk is okay for you), fresh lemon juice, black pepper (and cayenne, if desired), and mayo. I don't measure the ingredients. I mix the cheese with the lemon juice until it is a lumpy paste and then add a few grinds of black pepper and a small dash of cayenne. Then I add mayo until it is the consistency and flavor that I want. It's not low fat, however.

I also make Caesar dressing that is similar to what Sharon posted, but here are the ingredients I use:

Caesar Salad Dressing
    2 tablespoon anchovy paste (or 4 anchovies minced)
    1 coddled egg*
    1 large clove garlic, or two medium ones
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon lime juice (can substitute lemon juice)
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 dashes Tabasco sauce (or other Louisiana hot sauce)
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
    3/4 cup extra-light olive oil
    1/4 to 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Lars

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Here is a page to one of my favorite all time recipe collections.
    I love her creamy oriental dressing. It's very simlar to one served at a Japanese restaurant I like to eat at.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Here is a favourite and the salad that goes with the dressing. It's so very tangy and delicious!

baby spinach & ruby-edged lettuce for 4 servings*

For 1 1/2 cups dressing, enough for 4 salad servings:

3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
    2 TBS balsamic vinegar
    1 TBS red wine vinegar
    3 TBS grated orange peel
    2 teasp brown sugar
    1 teasp ground cumin
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

garnish:

2 TBS sultana raisins
    2 TBS pinenuts
    3 strips of bacon, diced

1. Fry bacon bits until crisp. Drain on paper and put aside.
    2. Put into a blender the orange juice and zest, the two vinegars, brown sugar and cumin and blend for a few moments.
    3. Slowly add the olive oil while blending, then salt & pepper to taste
    4. Put half the dressing into your salad bowl and add all the greens, mixing and turning with two large spoons until greens are well coated
    5. Mix in the pine nuts, raisins and bacon bits
    6. Pile onto serving plates and drizzle a little more dressing on top.

* Also good is spinach with red onion rings and mandarin orange slices.

Source: I put this together as a copycat salad & dressing as tasted in a restaurant.

Here's another good one:

Serving Size: 4

Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ ------------------------
    1 lg French lettuce
    16 lg Jumbo Shrimp
    2 lg Pink Grapefruit

For dressing:
    1/4 c Orange juice
    1/8 c Vinegar
    1/4 c Olive oil
    1/8 c Corn oil
    1/4 c Green olives chopped
    1/4 c Onion chopped
    1/4 c Parsley chopped
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 t Paprika (Spanish pimenton)
    Salt and pepper

Cook the shrimps as usual, peel them. Peel the
    grapefruit and separate each piece, also peel the
    white skin, being careful to get the complete pieces.
    Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients.

To serve: put the lettuce leaves on the dish, adorn with the grapefruit and shrimp.

Put the dressing on top and serve.

This salad will be better if the dressing can be prepared two hours before.

Exported from MasterCook
    Patricia Wriedt.

SharonCb

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Bobby, here is my favorite for a salad with chicken strips.

"55" SALAD DRESSING

My favorite dressing on a salad of baby greens, red onion, toasted walnuts, sliced pears (fresh when available), dried cherries and crumbled blue cheese. Also good as a main dish salad dressing with chicken strips and mandarin oranges, sliced celery and rice noodles on a bed of lettuce.

1½ tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp dry mustard
    ¼ C vinegar
    ¼ C water
    2 tsp salt
    ½ C sugar
    ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
    ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
    ½ tsp celery seed (optional)
    1 C veg. oil

Combine garlic, dry mustard, vinegar and water in a food processor or blender. Pulse to combine.
    Add salt, sugar, peppers, and celery seed (if using)
    With processor or blender running, SLOWLY add vegetable oil in a thin stream. After oil is added, continue to process another 3 minutes.

This dressing has a nice sweet 'n sour flavor.

I've got other dressings I make too. I've never found much in bottles dressing that I like. Nancy
  • arley_gw
    15 years ago

Here's my all-time favorite dressing. Not particularly low cal but since it has such a great flavor you don't need much.

Tarragon Vinaigrette Dressing

6 oz Olive Oil (see note)
    2 oz White Wine Vinegar
    1 tsp dried tarragon
    1/8 to ¼ tsp salt (preferably kosher)
    generous grinding of black pepper
    4 to 6 dashes of Tabasco
    about ¼ tsp of Dijon mustard

Put all the ingredients in a container and blend well with a fork or whisk. If you want it a little thicker, put an ice cube in it while blending it, removing the ice cube prior to dressing the salad. It can be made up earlier in the day and stored in a glass container, covered, in the fridge; just whip it up again immediately prior to dressing the salad. Makes about one cup.

Note on olive oil: this recipe is only as good as the oil you use. Dont use cheap olive oil (or--horrorslite olive oil.) Use a good green "primavera" extra virgin oil, no blends. Bertolli is fine. If you can find a French oil from Provence like Hilaire Fabre or James Plagniol, get it; its absolutely fantastic in this recipe. Variation 1: use walnut or hazelnut oil instead of the olive oil. Variation 2: for the vinegar, use half vinegar and half lemon juice. However you vary it, though, make sure you follow the proverb "A spendthrift with oil and a miser with vinegar" the oil to vinegar ratio should be about 3:1.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Hi Bobby.

If you ever get asked to buy something from Pampered Chef - I have one of these and really like it.

It has "recipes" (actually - fill up to here with ______ lines" for Asian, Italian, Caesar and French dressings on it. I love the Italian. When I make some I will figure out how much of each if you'd like.

Plus it's fun. Will (my 10 year old) loves to mix up salad dressing for me - and since you seem like a kid at heart, I thought you might like it too!

Stacy

• bubbeskitchen
    15 years ago

I have a few to offer

*** Recipes from Renée Adler Ascher's Kitchen ***

Onion/Citrus Salad Dressing

Dressing Ingredients:

large red onion sliced
    2 shallots chopped fine
    2 garlic cloves minced
    1-2 jalepeño peppers, seeded, chopped (optional)
    juice one orange
    juice one lime
    1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil
    freshly ground pepper to taste
    course salt to taste

Directions:

Squeeze juices from both orange and lime, reserve
    In hot skillet add 2 Tbs. olive oil, onions, garlic, shallots, jalepeõ pepper and cook stirring
    only until wilted. About 2 mins.
    Mix over greens or use with greenbean and tomato salad (see recipe)

and........

Renée's Own Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

Ingredients:
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil (use best quality affordable)
    Rice Wine Vinegar (oriental brands)
    Red wine vinegar, optional (use best quality affordable)
    Dijon mustard
    Worcestershire sauce (Lee & Perrins)
    Lite soy sauce
    Fine herb mix (dry, available in jars. I use Spice Islands Brand which is a blend of Thyme, Oregano, Sage, Rosemary, Marjoram, and Basil)
    Parmesan Cheese (use best quality)
    Sugar
    Garlic cloves
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Water

Directions:
    Into food processor fitted with metal blade or blender place:
    2 to 3 large cloves garlic
    1 heaping Tbs. Dijon mustard
    1 Tbs. fine herbs, rubbed in palms to release flavors (I like Spice Island®)
    6 oz. rice wine vinegar
    2 oz. red wine vinegar (or more rice wine vinegar)
    Process to thoroughly to blend
    Add: 5 shakes each of Worcestershire and soy sauce
    1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
    1 Tbs. sugar
    1/2 to 3/4 tsp. pepper
    Process, and while doing so, add 18-oz. olive oil in a steady stream. Product will emulsify
    considerably, add about 1 oz. water to thin slightly.
    Taste and correct.
    Store in jar in refrigerator
    Be sure to shake, or stir well before use

Notes:
    I never really measure, and I am writing this from years of memory, therefore when you make
    the salad dressing you can best determine if you need slightly more oil, sugar, or pepper.
    Flavors intensify and improve with time for the ingredients to marry.
    Will keep in refrigerator indefinitely.
    Due to the quantity of oil, you will need to remove from refrigerator a while before serving so
    that ingredients soften enough to shake. If necessary, set container in lukewarm water to hasten.
    Variations:
    Add chopped boiled egg or chopped red onion, scallions, or chopped sweet red pepper, alone
    or in combination, to the dressing. Lovely over asparagus, warm potatoes for salad, even pasta and
    vegetable mixtures.

Classic vinaigrette

Ingredients
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1 Tbs. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 Tbs. red wine vinegar

Preparation:
    Wisk together in bowl all ingredients except the olive oil. Slowly pour in oil while whisking together.

Notes:
    Adding 1/4 tsp. or so of Dijon mustard makes for a smoother, more emulsified result
    For Balsalmic Vinaigrette

• cindyb_va
    15 years ago

Bobby,this is a recipe I use for Asian style salads. I am not sure if it would complement teryakied chicken or not, but it is one of my favorites. Keep in fridge about a week.

1 slice peeled fresh ginger, about 1/2 inch thick
    1/4C sesame paste (or smooth PB)
    3T sesame oil
    1/4C rice vinegar
    1.5T sugar
    2T water
    1t chile paste with garlic*
    1/2t salt

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.