Does coriander actually add anything?
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (8)
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
Coriander from seed problem
Comments (6)Suggest that you give them plenty of light, and use ONLY a good seed starting soil that has been sterilized. Not to advertise, but Gardens Alive offers a really great product called Natural Beginnings. Its a soiless mix, and contains coconut husks. For several years now, I have been using ONLY this mix and have great germination results. My tomato and pepper plants reach up to almost 2 foot in less than 60 days. All of my seed starting is done in small plastic pots, and I do NOT use those peat pots. The reason is simple, no nurseries I ever see, have ever used the peat pots for starting seeds. Years ago, I used them, I still see an occaisonal peat pot coming up when the garden is tilled. So that tells me thay just don't break down like they are supposed to. Also, when the seeds are first germinating, I place a clear plastic hood over the plant trays to help keep the moisture in. I don't dunk my pots in water, but instead, water from the top. Coriander has shallow roots at the beginning, so they may not be getting sufficient water. I also use a very mild water soluable fertilizer after the first set of leaves show up. Fungus gnats only show up if the seed starting soil has been exposed to outdoors during the summers. The gnats lay eggs, and these hatch into tiny grubs that feed on the roots, then emerge as flies and infest ALL other nearby plants. Two items that can kill off these pests is yellow sticky traps, placed horizontally, close to the seed trays when they are growing. Also, a mix of a specific Bt strain and water will kill off the soil dwellers. Always start with sterilized soil. If you have houseplants, its a sure bet that every single pot is infested with the gnats. I see them here, surviving indoors even in December, even though I have no plants growing until about now.The sticky traps are usually loaded with bugs within a few days, once they are seen flying near the plants. I would leave the traps out until they get loaded up and then replace with a fresh one. Coriander/cilantro also likes cool weather in shade, and will quickly wilt if there is too much heat and sun. Avoid using regular potting soil, garden soil and any soil that has been outdoors. Because the gnats are very common here, I also water in some beneficial nematodes before I plant in my garden. These nematodes attack the grubs and other soil dwellers, so there are less hatching and reproduction....See MoreDoes anything look weird in this room?
Comments (64)I haven't read every response, but I too like the lamps - I just think other items in the room are too small... I definitely think a larger lamp on the sofa console will really help balance the lamps, but I would look for thicker as well as taller on that lamp (thicker than what you posted above)... I do think you need some more height in other areas as well - maybe next to the chaise by the window and maybe even something taller and more dramatic over the fireplace as it does seem like the ceiling height and height of the windows are taking over some of the furniture... but I know this is a work in progress (which I have going on in my house!) so it may be easier said than done. Good luck!...See MoreDo I need to add anything to this compost blend?
Comments (3)You do not need the perlite or vermiculite - the garden blend soil should be fine. A raised bed is not the same as a container and does not require the degree of drainage enhancement a container soil does. It will drain reasonably well with any sort of soil just by virtue of its elevation :-) Ideally, you just want a decent mineral based soil enhanced with some organic matter. And that's what a "garden blend" soil typically offers. IMO, vermiculite's ONLY use should be limited to propagation. Even as a container soil additive it is problematic as once it is fully saturated with water it will collapse and compress, losing any characteristics of drainage enhancement it might have had and so will actually work to slow drainage. It is expensive and pointless to add to any planting soils....See MorePlans almost finalized - Does anything stick out as a potential issue?
Comments (68)cpartist -- I'm still OK haulin' laundry. There's a lot less of it for just two Seniors, and we're on one floor in 2900 sq ft. I prefer to 'tend' the laundry in the back hall during the day. I've even ironed my sheets -- on the board that is stowed in the back hall closet with hanging space. Which is fine while you're still in the go-go years, but what happens once you reach the no-go years? Or what if something happens so it becomes difficult to haul the laundry? My mother's laundry was across the house too. In fact it was next to her office. She was so upset when she could no longer haul the laundry around because of being unsteady on her feet. I have tub, then FL washer and dryer (raised, left to right). How do people live without a laundry tub -- as a mop sink if nothing else? (Garden gear, boots, soaking a big pan, washing plants... and small dogs.) I have no laundry tub. Have never had one and don't miss it. I do have a slop sink in my garage though. I'd opt for one-floor living at any age. Senior friends with home elevators avoid them in daily life. The only reason I avoid it is because I'm slightly claustrophobic. However I designed it to be as open looking as possible and would have no problem using it if I needed it. Nobody likes to wait for an elevator anywhere. Let's see it takes less than 15-20 seconds for the elevator to go from one floor to the other. And that's only if it's on the other floor. There are days it takes me longer to walk up the stairs! New elevators are a lot more efficient and fast. If like us you're on a narrow lot and your choice is to either have smaller spaces or to build up, I highly recommend building up. Especially if it's two rooms that will rarely be used....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

INSIDE HOUZZHow Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESHerb Garden Essentials: Versatile Cilantro Adds Flavor to Herb Gardens
Love it or hate it, this cool-season herb contributes its unique flavor to any number or the world’s cuisines
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESBathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
Full Story
MOST POPULARWhen Does a House Become a Home?
Getting settled can take more than arranging all your stuff. Discover how to make a real connection with where you live
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHow to Add an Apple Tree to Your Edible Garden
Readily available, beautiful and fragrant, apple trees offer four-season interest along with crisp, juicy fruit
Full Story
COLOR11 Ways to Add a Splash of Yellow to Your Interior
See how a dab of this sunshiny color can bring warmth and cheer to a room
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHow to Add a Kitchen Backsplash
Great project: Install glass, tile or another decorative material for a gorgeous and protective backsplash
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBulletproof Decorating: Upholstery That Stands Up to Anything
Kids and pets are no match for fabrics as durable as these, which meet higher style standards than ever
Full Story
MODERN HOMESHouzz Tour: Earthy Decor Adds Warmth to a Modern Home
Nature-based colors and rustic elements bring a cozier feeling to a minimalist house in Southern California
Full Story
GREAT HOME PROJECTSHow to Add a Radiant Heat System
Enjoy comfy, consistent temperatures and maybe even energy savings with hydronic heating and cooling
Full Story
foodonastumpOriginal Author