SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire_de_luna

Funeral Food

claire_de_luna
13 years ago

The tradition I'm most familiar with is when someone dies, it's thoughtful to take a casserole, dessert, or something to the bereaved family. I know Lindac cooks funeral food for her church families which is also a lovely tradition, although her method involves making food for the masses (a special gift in itself.)

A friend's mother died this week and I decided to invite them for dinner instead, in the tradition of sharing food. My thought was I could put a drink in their hand, and a plate in front of them with no heating, reheating or thought required.

My MIL was from a small town and when my FIL died, in addition to food there were people bringing things like toilet paper (knowing there was extended family in town), or putting stamps into condolence cards, knowing they would be used for Thank Yous. (I personally think providing stamps if you don't cook is a wonderful idea. That's assuming the person receiving them would actually write Thank You notes I suppose, since I personally know many who wouldn't! Sad, but TRUE.)

So, what is the tradition for funeral food where you are?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm