SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_oh

The 14 layer cake that wasn't

Tracey_OH
15 years ago

Holy. Freakin'. Carp. I am exhausted. Thank you so much to everyone for your kind words and encouragement on the original thread. I loved the suggestions of raspberry (yum!) and that caramel dome sounded soooo good Alexa!The cake is done, but with modifications. The recipe was defnitely not as user friendly as I thought it would be. Here we go...14 cake pans ready.

Got the batter made, no problems that I could see. But when I got the cakes baking, I realized that probably because of the large volume of batter, not all the butter was incorporated so I ended up with holes in one layer. Hmmm, okay I thought. We'll make it a 12 layer cake. Can't do 13 layers because that's just asking for bad luck :)

So I finished all the layers and they looked great. I munched on the ruined layer and the flavor was wonderful. Whew, the hard part is over! Now onto the filling. Can you say disaster? Couldn't be more basic-just dump sugar, evap. milk, butter, and cocoa in a pan and boil for 3 minutes. This is supposed to firm up as it cools and coat the cake. Ummm, no. I have no explanation for why mine did this.

By this time, I'm in a complete panic because I'm down to 10 layers and no idea on what to do for a filling. I'm out of powdered sugar and I've gone through 5 sticks of butter by this point. I called one of my good friends who's about the calmest person I know and she talked me down. "Now Tracey, Carolyn doesn't know there's supposed to be 14 layers. Don't worry about it. She'll just be happy to get a cake." So I ended up taking the chocolate frosting I'd made and making a 10 layer cake-no filling, just frosting between the layers. Not what I had hoped for but what can you do? Here's me frosting.

10 layers

And the final product.

Comments (35)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES